Noisy 84 Aisan carb

I purchased an 84 FJ45 tray back six months ago, a bit of an impulse buy but have had an interesting time slowly ironing out a long list of faults and it now drives quite nicely and noisily. The carby has developed a high pitched whistle that starts about 30 seconds after starting all but stops when the second barrel is open and very noisy at idle and when decelerating, I stripped it down and rebuilt it with new gaskets etc and eventually got it running again after a bit of back tracking and now runs perfectly but the whistle is louder than ever. Any ideas? This is driving me nuts.

I tried to trace a vacume leak by spraying a light oil on the out side of the carby and riser gaskets but found no leak, vacuum did not increase and whistle remains

Dave-o:
Whilst it is possible that the secondary can bleed air if it isn't shut all the way, this doesn't make a whistle. If it did, all carbs would whistle at some point. Use a piece of tube as a stethoscope to localize the noise. It should be easy since it makes the noise all the time at idle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom