Noise from down under, dealership states it's the catalytic converter shields (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Had new rotors, brakes, fluid flush at dealership 2 months ago. Lately its been squealing when I apply the brakes and sometimes when I'm driving down the road it will squeal on its own until I apply the brakes. In my head I was thinking that they didn't put a shim behind the brake pad and it was vibrating enough in there to cause a squeal noise similar to when you run out of break pad and the metal bar alerts to the issue.
I take it to the dealership, they call me two hours later and state that they've driven the LC and its not the breaks; they claim its the catalytic converter shields and when I apply the brakes it puts a torque on the shields that causes them to vibrate. Never heard that before, it also likes to squeak a bit when I drive over bumps and the rear end is bouncing up and down but that's a separate issue, although I don't know what's causing that either. Are they full of it, or is that really what the issue could be?

My cat shields are a little loose, found one of the clamps that holds the shied rusted & broken- and they do make some noise, but it doesn't sound like brake squeal. Very different sounds all together.

Dealer may have been lazy on the brake rebuild- not cleaning and re-greasing the slide pins, reusing shims, just installing pads, using cheap pads, and not turning the rotors, you may eve have piston that is sticking. Do you have the parts list they installed written on the repair order?

If you don't have the wherewithal to pull it apart and check their work, take it back and insist the solve the brake noise.

It might be a loose Anti-Rattle Spring (very top item) I've been chasing the same issue and after poking around I notice that this spring was partially broken (instead of being an W shape, it just a V). It looked like it hard worn through and I think it's being caught in the rotor when I apply my brakes. Will try to take pictures of it.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/attachments/front-brake-pad-parts-001-jpg.510835/
front-brake-pad-parts-001-jpg.510835

Good info here on it's purpose and discussion if it's needed.
Purpose of this Brake Clip?

I just replaced the hose clamps on my cat shields this weekend. Typically they rattle when you first start driving, then quite down once the cats are warmed up. I never heard a squeal from them. I have to question how applying the brakes would apply any kind of meaningful force to the cats. The fact it squeals when you brake leads me to believe its related to the brakes themselves.

Every now and then I get a sharp loud rattle from the heat shields when braking and pulling of the drive way. You can clamp them or have them trimmed if I recall.

I've had my fair share of heat shield rattling. It does not sound as you describe. If they'll cover the shields and labor, should it not resolve your issue, let them try it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom