nobody talks about these Nitto Mud Grapplers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i searched the site for info about these tyres: Nitto Mud Grapplers
seems there are not popular or not available,
nitto terra grapplers seems very good all terrain from what most of you guys think, so as a mud tyre they must make a good product as well.
has anybody tried them or knows about them??
nitto1.jpg
nitto2.jpg
nitto3.jpg

I've heard that they are (relatively) quiet on the road. The reptile skin sidewall is a bit much for me.

X2 on the animal look, although if there is traction around it looks like those tires could find it

had a co-worker with a rubicon that had them in a 35". tires worked really well. he had about 25k miles on he said and still had plenty of tread left. wonder if they would last as well with the exfra weight of the 80. the tires were really loud though, you could hear them from a pretty good distance. i would love to have these as a trail tire, but no way can afford them.

They're very big with the large domestic 4x4 crowd, wearing them down on the streets primarily!

I know a guy who has them, says they are unbelievable in deep snow and good in road snow. Pretty stiff tire, seem to hold up extremely well.

He doesn't like the "extreme" labeling on the sidewalls (can't we just have good tread, please, without the silliness?) but does like the tires.

If you really look at this, it's like the MT ATZ on steroids. I'd get the Mickeys, those tires are getting rave reviews and will be a lot more road friendly, unless you are really biasing the rig to offroad.

i did not meet anyone who tried them but i have done a lot of research and this is in general what i found:

1) high price
2) very good for rocks, deep snow, and general off road
3) good on sand
4) good behaivior on wet and dry street, but very loud
5) wear very good for a mud tyre
6) other nitto products are very good in general so this one at least should be good

verdict, they will be my next mud tyres

My old 80 sporting 35 Nitto Mud Grapplers , mounted on FJCruiser 17inch steel wheels.
>>>Worked well off road, loose dirt, sand, and rocks, can't report on Mud or Snow (never had them in those conditions)
>>>By far the loudest mud tire I've ever heard on the highway, Interco loud!!!
Hope that helps....

Chris
mud post terra 2.jpg
mud post terra 1.jpg

Love the lining/color combo on that 80 Chris.

Thanks guys, it was a great 80, served as my GF's daily driver for 7+ years before being built up & replaced by our current 97'.
Funny, I sold it back to the original owner (one of my good friends), who then sold it to a fellow Mudder in Hawaii. Last I heard, it was being used to drive tourists around the island of Molokai:)

Upol Raptor was the "spray-on" liner material used, looks very similar to LineX, only cheaper.....

Chris

I went to Moab with ToothFairy and his friend Clifton Slay, of Poison Spyder Customs. Clifton had these on his Jeep, and I think was testing them out for Nitto. They performed pretty well, but did squeel a lot on the slickrock, partially from his right foot, partially just the tire. He liked them because they were free, but the next time I heard about that rig, he had gone back to the Mickey Thompson Baja Claws.

But, to each his own. Try out your own tires and form your own opinion. Have fun!

I would run them, i see them used off road and on the rocks in magazines and such a fair bit. I think they have the rep for being a pavement M/T because they make lots of sizes for 20" wheels and they look agressive.

Actually nokian is now making a decent looking M/T with a similar style but not quite as agressive :
http://www.nokiantires.com/tyre?id=11954&group=2.02&name=Nokian+Vatiiva+M/T

Last edited:
Actually nokian is now making a decent looking M/T with a similar style but not quite as agressive :
Nokian Vatiiva M/T

These guys are hitting the Heavy Markets with saturation...
looked up Nevada Dealers, Battle Mountain, Winnemucca and Love Rock. I figure all three towns have a combined population of about 49 people...:hillbilly:

Tough to get people to use your tires if you are not putting them where people actually LIVE.

These guys are hitting the Heavy Markets with saturation...
looked up Nevada Dealers, Battle Mountain, Winnemucca and Love Rock. I figure all three towns have a combined population of about 49 people...:hillbilly:

Tough to get people to use your tires if you are not putting them where people actually LIVE.

Nokian dealers are hard to find outside of ski climates, it's a cultish following of snow hounds mostly in Subaru's. They do make really good tires, I had seen these, and I bet for a road MT they are excellent.

Nokian dealers are hard to find outside of ski climates, it's a cultish following of snow hounds mostly in Subaru's. They do make really good tires, I had seen these, and I bet for a road MT they are excellent.

Apparently only for the Subaru crowd, a pretty limited size selection, at least for 16" rims.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom