No spark!!!!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Also on the sensor going right to left I noticed that the third port is missing a metal piece. Is that normal.

My next problem is my MAF. When I plug it in my engine turns off. Is my sensor bad?? It was left unplugged when I started the engine for the first time I didn’t notice to plug it after 5 mins. Than when I plugged it in truck died. Also the CEL will not illuminate.
But when I leave the MAF off the CEL comes on remains on engine starts. Please advice if I need a new MAF.
Couple of things here.
The engine should NOT be able to stay running without the AFM connected. The flap in the AFM provides the ground path for the fuel pump logic. When you unplug the AFM, or the flap in the AFM closes, the fuel pump should stop running. If it doesn't, then someone changed or bypassed the fuel pump logic. This could be a REALLY bad idea in the event of an accident. When the motor stalls, the FP should stop running.
It is possible to bypass FP logic by jumping B+ to FP on the CHECK connector on the firewall. This will force the FP to run with the key in the ON/RUN position. It should be used for diagnostics only.

You said, "the CEL will not illuminate. But when I leave the MAF off the CEL comes on"
Please be more specific in your description.
Engine NOT running: With the key in the ON/RUN position with the AFM connected. Does the CEL illuminate?
Engine NOT running: With the key in the ON/RUN position with the AFM disconnected. Does the CEL illuminate?

In a stock configuration, the AFM should have no effect on the CEL before the engine starts. IOW, the CEL should be illuminated in both conditions. I documented all of this in the .pdf procedure I gave you at the start of this thread.

Last edited:
While trouble shooting did by pass by connecting B+ to FP, I wanted to make sure I was getting fuel. I thought by disconnecting the battery would have reset the bypass?

Engine NOT running: With the key in the ON/RUN position with the AFM connected. Does the CEL illuminate? NO

Engine NOT running: With the key in the ON/RUN position with the AFM disconnected. Does the CEL illuminate? YEs

While trouble shooting did by pass by connecting B+ to FP, I wanted to make sure I was getting fuel. I thought by disconnecting the battery would have reset the bypass?

Engine NOT running: With the key in the ON/RUN position with the AFM connected. Does the CEL illuminate? NO

Engine NOT running: With the key in the ON/RUN position with the AFM disconnected. Does the CEL illuminate? YEs
OK, this makes more sense to me now. Sounds like the AFM is toast or someone removed the 2 phillips screws and pulled out the guts. This might be able to be repaired if you are handy with a soldering iron.

Disconnecting the battery will not remove the jumper you put in the diagnostic connector. Physics man.

OK, this makes more sense to me now. Sounds like the AFM is toast or someone removed the 2 phillips screws and pulled out the guts. This might be able to be repaired if you are handy with a soldering iron.

Disconnecting the battery will not remove the jumper you put in the diagnostic connector. Physics man.
[/QUOTE
Thanks again. I’ll see if I could solder the wires back together. If not I’ll replace the AFM. Grateful for all the help.

@jonheld Your the man👏🏽. I soldered the points together. My first attempt didn’t work cause I fried the connection points on the mother board. But I was able to connect a strip of wire to connect the two points. It worked. Again I appreciate all the help. Next to the fun stuff. New tires and suspension work.

A66D0A62-5E38-4242-BEAE-998B54B99B1B.jpeg

720E421D-8912-41BE-9D30-B94500873F30.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom