No good deed goes unpunished- steering fluid flush edition (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Flushed my power steering fluid yesterday. Old stuff was solid black, took about 2 quarts to get it coming out clear. Steering felt lighter but that could have just been in my head I dunno.

Today I looked and the rack is leaking on the driver side :(......there is also a big tear in the boot on that side I had never noticed before. If I stick my fingers get in the hole in the boot it's wet with fluid in there.

Is this common following a flush? Should I go ahead and put some ATP stuff in there or just watch it?
20210213_154446.jpg
20210213_171033.jpg

This is not common following a flush. May be it was there before or just coincidence. I would try AT-205 before getting a new rack.
x2

I was just under there a few days ago and there was no leak. It had to have happened after the flush. Maybe it knocked some.gunk from around the seals?

It’s possible some gunk could have been knocked loose. Add some AT-205 and drive for 5 hrs minimum to see if it fixes it.

I believe the advice is a rack can be run until it is really pouring out. Just make sure you don’t run low on fluid since that would not be good. Of course, if you are already loosing a lot of fluid, the AT-205 might not be able to help.

The inner tire rod can be replaced if it does stop the leak, otherwise I believe the new racks come with inner TREs.

Valvoline Max life atf says its dexron compatible.

I've got a very slight bit of play in that driver side inner tie rod anyway. I think I'll just order a new inner and do it when I do ball joints and new driver side CV

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom