No feel in brake pedal! (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Recently went and test drove a 100 Series w/ my mom, finally talked her into looking at one to maybe replace the Explorer, I hope, and I noticed that there was noticibly more "feel" or "resistance" in the brake pedal than my father's FJ and mine too...

Is it just an 80 thing, or did my father and I wind up with two odd-balls? There isn't any feel from approx 1%-55% braking pressure, after that, you can feel resistance in the pedal.

The brakes stop it fine, but I am now concerned that there may be something wrong with both of our cruisers. Any trouble shooting advise, knowledge, assurance would be great!

Brake fluid deteriorates with age, picks up humidity and loses its propertiies. Do a major bleed and replace all the brake fluid in your older trucks, just keep bleeding until the fluid comes out clear and dont forget the proportioning valve.

If this does not improve the pedal feel, you may need to look at your master cylinder and/or booster. Drive slow until this is fixed.

Ok, that makes me worried..I thought it was off on mine, but when my pops got his and it was the same, I thought it might be an Toyota thing. Then when I test drove the 100 yesterday, I realized that it wasn't a Toyota thing, but possibly an 80 thing.

It feels like the brake pedal is really light, incase my description at first wasn't very good. You get normal (for other cars) resistance after about 50-60% of the pedal throw. So just to double check, is that normal, or am I riding in a potentially unsafe vehicle?

alkaline747trio said:
It feels like the brake pedal is really light, incase my description at first wasn't very good. You get normal (for other cars) resistance after about 50-60% of the pedal throw. So just to double check, is that normal, or am I riding in a potentially unsafe vehicle?

I have driven a 60, 62, and an 80. Both the 60 an 62 had firm brake pedal feel, similar (more or less) to the multitude of other cars I've driven (of many different makes). The 80 however is different. It feels like you describe. I was worried also, so have rebuilt all four calipers, replaced all hoses, new pads, new rotors, and flushed the system multiple times. Only thing not replaced is the booster. Still feels the same. Stops fine, just that the top of the pedal travel is very soft. I've concluded it's an 80's thing. (But, I've only driven one 80.)

Hopefully others will chime in though...

Ok, wow...you made me feel OH SO MUCH better there. Now please chime in all you other 80 owners, I don't wanna go replacing everyting for it to be this way naturally.

my 80 feels the same way 1995 but when i bought it i test drove a silver one just about the same miles same year it had good brake feed back but i bought the geen one that is soft on top until about 55% in to it some times if i hit it fast like here in soca trafic it make a small sound (braabrbrbrb) but stops fine every time and consistently

No way a pedal that travels 50% of its range before it "catches" can be considered normal, in an 80 or in any car. True, this is not a BMW and the pedal is on the softer side but you describe something serious.

The big difference in the 100 and the 80 is that the 100 uses a high pressure pump in place of the vaccuum booster. So the brake feel is totally different. Even in the 80 the earlier ones had more pedal feel than the later ones. So the 91-92 had a feel like a fj62, when ABS was interduced the pedal feel was changed, then again in the 95-97 model years the pedal feel was less again.
I do agree that the 100 series has the best feel out of the bunch, it will stop the bugger real quick as well. Hope this helps with the WHY. later robbie

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom