Nitto Trail Grappler M/T (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looks like Nitto is coming out with a new M/T tire soon. Looks like a nice new 3 ply option for those wanting a M/T tire. I'm on my second set of Nitto Terra Grapplers and have had great luck with them. May try these next time around. Seems like a few sweet new M/T's hitting the market lately.
TRAILGRAPPLERMT.jpg

Those look sweet. I am trying to decide between BFG AT, BFG KM2 and Nittos. I need siping.

I've been running the Nitto TG's for 90K and they have plenty of siping. I got 55K out of my first set no problem. They do great on dry pavement, wet pavement, snow, ice , and in general offroad use.

I'd stick with the same tire that got you back home during that snowstorm where everyone was losing it.

Those only have 3 plys? I think BFG is like a 6 ply tire?

On snow and ice I would go with a GREEN DIAMOND tire.... little crystal granuals in the rubber. Get em on now and run on dry pavement to get the rubber worn down enough for the crystals to start coming out and you will be set for winter in the north.

Plus it looks like they are planning to offer it in the 295/70/R18, which should work out to be a 34.3 x 11.6 inch tire... which seems like it might be a good size for a hundy.

That is one angry looking tire...

Those only have 3 plys? I think BFG is like a 6 ply tire?

I not happy with this either..I have already ruined two Nitto TGs...side wall cuts....I was expecting it to be more stronger

It's a great tire on road and has less road noise..

IIRC, 3 plies on the sidewall seems to be the HD guys. Usually 2 for less capable tires, no?

Just to clear things up. Tires have two different ply ratings, one for the sidewall and one for the tread. A "3 ply" tire doesn't necessarily mean it has THREE plies but rather it has the equivalent strength of whatever 3 plies was at some time. Now they use it as a standard of measurement. Many tires today have tread rating of 10-14 plies but really consists of 1-2 steel, 1-2 nylon, 1-2 rayon plies.

A tire with a sidewall rating of 3-ply is considered robust by today's standards for a light truck tire.

Plus it looks like they are planning to offer it in the 295/70/R18, which should work out to be a 34.3 x 11.6 inch tire... which seems like it might be a good size for a hundy.

Does anyone have any experience with these tires, especially at the size above?

Also, anybody know where to buy these from? I haven't found a place on-line yet that carries them?

Finally, at the size above, would I have rubbing or other problems (excluding poor MPG) while off roading running on a '06 LX, with AHC on high mode (no modifcations to AHC)?

I'm currently running 275/65R18 Revo 2's, which are fine... but everytime I'm out off-roading I notice other folks with more agressive/larger tires and makes me feel eager to up-size...

Does anyone have any experience with these tires, especially at the size above?

Also, anybody know where to buy these from? I haven't found a place on-line yet that carries them?

Finally, at the size above, would I have rubbing or other problems (excluding poor MPG) while off roading running on a '06 LX, with AHC on high mode (no modifcations to AHC)?

I'm currently running 275/65R18 Revo 2's, which are fine... but everytime I'm out off-roading I notice other folks with more agressive/larger tires and makes me feel eager to up-size...

That's how this disease mutates :D

I up-sized from Revos too, to Terra Grapplers and really glad I did. As Pint mentioned earlier, they are great with just about everything that has been thrown at it, most especially snow and rain.

I read all the Nitto tires had 2-ply sidewalls hence one reason they were so much cheaper.

I up-sized from Revos too, to Terra Grapplers and really glad I did. As Pint mentioned earlier, they are great with just about everything that has been thrown at it, most especially snow and rain.

Did you also consider the TRAIL Grapplers? And if so, how did you decide on the Terra Grapplers?

What size Revos did you have, and what size Terra's did you get?

They both look like great tires, though I do find the Trail Grapplers to be very nice and aggressive looking.

Did you also consider the TRAIL Grapplers? And if so, how did you decide on the Terra Grapplers?

What size Revos did you have, and what size Terra's did you get?

They both look like great tires, though I do find the Trail Grapplers to be very nice and aggressive looking.

For the type of driving I do right now, which is commuting about 100 miles a day, ATs made more sense. My Terra Grapplers have performed flawlessly this past winter season here in Illinois, and they are superb in slush and rain. The Revos I had were 275/75/16. My NTGs are 285/75/16.

The Revos as you know are great tires, but a bit anemic in the aggressive look dept, and they were less than favorable in mud.

If you're looking for another AT I would recommend NTGs.

I have a newish set of Nittro's A/Ts that aren't as smooth on the highway as my previous tires - Bridgestone Dueler's A/Ts. Otherwise no complaints.

The BFG KM2 and the Nitto Terra and Trail Grapplers are all 3 ply sidewall...the additional ply rating goes for the tread side and are added together for total. 3 ply is some of the strongest and most resilient sidewalls out there by todays standards.

LT-metric, LT-Flotation and LT-numeric tires will be branded with their load range ("Load Range E" or "LRE") or their ply rating ("10 Ply Rated") on their sidewalls and list their appropriate load range letter in their descriptions as LT245/75R-16E, 7.50R-15D or 31x10.50R-15C.

I had all kinds of problems with sidewalls with older BFG AT radials in 80s and 90s....my Nitto Terra Grapplers were some of the toughest tires I ever owned in mud, sticks, staubs, oyster shells, boulders, concrete curbs, drain pipes, rail road ties, and loose shale that was sharp as a knife...and never got a cut on any of them....I never air down below 18 psi though either which makes a difference I think...though I never failed an attempt that like built vehicles were doing with lower pressure. Tread design, rubber compound AND psi all impact how they perform...and the Nittos are at the top of the heap I think. I also have had good luck recently with my KM2 on my FJ60....similar ability on trails and tough as nails as well...also never go below 18-20psi on these tires but I walked right up climbs, ledges and loose trails where others were spinning in more built vehicles...again tread design, rubber compound and pressure all contribute...just one of the three will not suffice.

so you will be hard pressed to find a radial offroad tire with better than 3 ply sidewall that is not so specialized you will not want to drive it on the road....3 ply is the standard for radials now. 10 ply, 12 ply...are combination of sidewall and tread ratings together....apples to oranges when you compare 3 ply sidewall rating to 10 ply TOTAL rating.

Firestone Destination II, Hankook Dynapro, Nitto Trail Grapplers, BFG KM2, Cepek Mud Country are all 3-4 ply sidewalls with 10 plywall total rating if not mistaken. More plys are equal to heavier tires all other things being equal...

There are tradeoffs....but all great tires and designs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom