Nitto Tire help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm about to pull the trigger on a tire/rim purchase and need some input. Currently everything is stock: stock 16" rims with standard Michelin tires.

I am considering upgrading the rims to 17" stock Toyota as seen in the thread below (second post):

https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/197987-picture-request-toyota-17-rims-question.html

My first question: are there any adverse effects of running 17" rims????

Second, with that rim selection, the tires will be Nitto Terra Grapplers in either of these sizes:

295/75/17
or
305/70/17

I know, very close sizes... BUT from the posts I've read the handling is different. For my commute to work and running over curbs I think the 295/75 will be a smarter choice.

What do you think?

TIA (and sorry for another tire/rim thread)

Nitto Sizes

Nitto Tire - High Performance Tires for Car and Truck Enthusiasts

what's wrong with the stock rims? I would just get a set of nitto terra grapplers, 295/75/16 and be done with it.

315/75r16 Nitto TG's on the stock rims here. Love 'em.

Jack
496605584_2RbBo-M.jpg

Last edited:
Just received 4 new Nitto TG's 295/75R-16's on thursday from discount tire direct. The set I have on there right now I put on in 2003 and got about (cant find the receipt) 60k-70k out of them. I couldnt be happier with them.

Thanks for the input... 295's on a set of Toyota 17" by Wednesday hopefully.

I'll have some pics to add to the collection.

Now if anyone knows who to call for a good price on bilsteins that'll be helpful.

Now if anyone knows who to call for a good price on bilsteins that'll be helpful.

Still not sure why you are going to 17, but it is your call. the 17s are a little sexier in that pic.

edit: If you are going to the 17" rims, i know i would take one of the 5x OEM rims off your hands. PM me

Last edited:

As for the Bilsteins, I cannot recommend Shock Warehouse.com This last month they sent me three rears and one front! Customer Service was good, however, I did not receive my free Bilstein stickers for their screw up as promised :(

Jwp

Eshocks.com, free shipping over $200. right now buy 3 get 1 free on Bilstein 5100 shocks.

I got Bilsteins at AutoZone - a lot less hassle if you need to return them (I had one fail).

I hope you like the NTG's! I have the 285/75R16 and have been very pleased with them, they are great tires esp for the price. After 25k miles, I'm still at 12/32" tread depth - that is measured with an actual tread depth gauge!

I'm about to pull the trigger on a tire/rim purchase and need some input. Currently everything is stock: stock 16" rims with standard Michelin tires.

I am considering upgrading the rims to 17" stock Toyota as seen in the thread below (second post):

https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/197987-picture-request-toyota-17-rims-question.html

My first question: are there any adverse effects of running 17" rims????

Second, with that rim selection, the tires will be Nitto Terra Grapplers in either of these sizes:

295/75/17
or
305/70/17

I know, very close sizes... BUT from the posts I've read the handling is different. For my commute to work and running over curbs I think the 295/75 will be a smarter choice.

What do you think?

TIA (and sorry for another tire/rim thread)

Nitto Sizes

Nitto Tire - High Performance Tires for Car and Truck Enthusiasts

There is nothing wrong with the stock 16" rims and will save you some money in the long run.

what's wrong with the stock rims? I would just get a set of nitto terra grapplers, 295/75/16 and be done with it.

X3. I replaced my stock Michelin with Nitto and here is the link: https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/190148-295-75r16-nitto-terra-grapplers.html

I was fine with the 16" rims, but got lucky with the 17" rims... all 4 will cost less than one tire... the guy at the tire shop had a set in his storage area left over from a factory upgrade.... the only reason he mentioned he had them was because I mentioned the possibility of getting American Racing rims in the future.

So that worked out nicely and saved me a few $$$ :D

Great, Send some of us the stock rims. We could use them.
See the thing is that the height of the sidewall is key to off-road ability. The same diameter tire on a smaller rim is better for off-road use.
The opposite is true for street. On pavement, the smaller sidewall leads to less flex, thereby, more traction. Off-road, a softer sidewall leads to fitting around odd-shaped objects, and gripping them. Inversely, a shorter sidewall leads to sidewall cutting on those same objects.
This is why most 80 series owners still use the factory wheels, unless the tires are well over the 315 size.

Great, Send some of us the stock rims. We could use them.
See the thing is that the height of the sidewall is key to off-road ability. The same diameter tire on a smaller rim is better for off-road use.
The opposite is true for street. On pavement, the smaller sidewall leads to less flex, thereby, more traction. Off-road, a softer sidewall leads to fitting around odd-shaped objects, and gripping them. Inversely, a shorter sidewall leads to sidewall cutting on those same objects.
This is why most 80 series owners still use the factory wheels, unless the tires are well over the 315 size.

I already requested one rim. No response yet, but I am hopeful

This discussion has nothing to do with sidewall height. You need to compare apples with apples.

285/75/16 and 285/75/17 are not the same diameter, but they do have the same side wall height. If you have a look at the Nito chart referenced in the first post you'll see they are about an inch different in diameter.

LT 285/75/16 overall diameter 32.76
LT 285/75/17 overall diameter 33.86.

285 is the width in mm.
75 is the side wall height expressed as a percentage of the width.
The diameter difference comes from 16 vs 17.

285, or whatever in a metric marked tire is a width only. Without the aspect ratio and rim size you don't have all the information you need to determine the overall diameter of the tire, unlike floatation sizes where a 37/12.5/16 IS the same nominal diameter as a 37/12.5/17 or for that matter a 37/12.5/18

THREAD HIJACK OFF

My brother's truck came with Nittos, however it's a Titan. He will not see 30K miles out of the tires. I don't know if they come in different compounds, but they are very soft. They are all the rave in his circle of friends, everyone has them on their rig. It's a disease. Anyway, I make fun of them, to me they are known as Nitto Terrible Grapplers. I've seen what they can't do offroad, and it's pretty sad.

Good luck, I'd never buy them.

I already requested one rim. No response yet, but I am hopeful

Sorry, it has been, and still is, a busy week at work. I haven't even had time to go to the tire shop to get the tires installed.

If everything works out with the new stuff, I'll probably sell stock and I'll offer in the order asked. I think that's fair. What do stock rims go for these days? Of course Ill take pics but nothing major is wrong, not many scratches, just some ground in dirt a power washer should clean.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom