Nice 80 with a Salvage Title (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Question: I found a nice 80 with lockers and fairly low miles. Problem is that it has a salvage title. The roof rack came loose and came down on the hood and body panels. I have seen the repair invoices and it was almost 10,000 to repair. The price for the truck is what I would consider even high for a nice 80 after seeing what things have been selling for here. I would have to bring it in to California and Insure it. I am concerned that at some point if I sell this would be a big problem. If I decided to move forward what would be an appropriate discount on the price for this? Interested in what everyone has to say. Thanks

You know everyone wants to see pics.

Personally anything other than a clean title is a huge hit to the resale value, no matter how clean. Infact if I see salvaged title and don't see damage I assume flood damage, then I run.

If it was a were and was repaired then I'd buy one cheap as a trail truck.

That actually looks pretty clean from afar.

What was the reason for salvage title? I just read most insurance companies put the value at 50-75 % of bluebook. That's going to hurt because insurance companies don't like to pay for these already.

If you plan on keeping it forever, see what kind of deal they will give you. Use the salvage title as leverage, give them examples of similar vehicles in same condition.

My truck has a salvage title and I have owned several "rebuilt from salvage" vehicles in the past. Great way to get a bargain, but that is, if the price is actually a bargain!

Don't pay market value (or near it) for a rebuilt vehicle. You wont be able to sell it for market value, so don't set yourself up for a loss. (if you're really confident you will keep it for a good long time, you can play a little loose with this).

Nothing wrong with a rebuilt title. The amount of body damage it takes to total a 20 year old vehicle is comically minimal. From the insurer's standpoint, cheaper to write it off than fix even the most minor of fender benders.

The salvage title was because the roof rack came loose and slid forward causing 10,000 in damage to the hood and front of the vehicle.

lol wow. At least you know there was no frame / structural damage. Looks like a nice rig.

Mid/High end body shop, OEM panels, probably repainted the whole rig to get a color match... It adds up quick.

Wait, where is the damage in the picture?

Looks really nice, what is the asking price? if you are going to buy and keep then it matters less (assuming no issue with insurance), if you are looking to buy and sell in a few years then I'd avoid a salvage title.

Ideally there would be before and after photos to compare. This would appease many future buyers since it can be shown what actually happened.

Its often perplexing how some vehicles can be salvage and others are not.... case in point years ago I almost bought a 04' LX470 that looked really clean. During the detailed inspection (physical and records) it was found that the whole roof was replaced due to hail damage, literally cut and welded another one on. The title was clean, but I wasn't comfortable with that amount of structural work with no records of who performed it and how it looked before/after (before repaint). The inspector showed me non factory weld seams, paint thickness readings, old records, etc.... it was well worth the $150 inspection cost on a $20k vehicle.

Wait, where is the damage in the picture?

My guess, it has been repaired?

It varies by location, but here: Can get "full coverage" insurance, salvage title significantly effects resale price and that includes insurance payout. If the math adds, can be a great way to get a wheeler. Just have to understand that it is already heavily deprecated.

My guess, it has been repaired?

It varies by location, but here: Can get "full coverage" insurance, salvage title significantly effects resale price and that includes insurance payout. If the math adds, can be a great way to get a wheeler. Just have to understand that it is already heavily deprecated.

You're right. The OP was speaking in past tense "it was almost 10,000 to repair." It looks pretty slick to me. Could be a really good deal if:
  1. The damage was repaired correctly and the paint was done right.
  2. The seller is actually offering a good price, which they should be since the resale value will be significantly reduced.
  3. You don't plan on selling it, and if you do, you don't expect to get much out of it.

My truck has a salvaged title. Well, was considered rebuilt in TN, then when I registered it in DC it changed to salvaged. I'm about to re-register it in TN again so we'll see.

While I don't plan on selling the rig, I do ask myself if I'd be better off fixing up a non salvaged title rig. Especially when it comes to doing a paint job and other cosmetics that the truck needs as my DD. I'm never hoping to make money on my land cruiser, but I also don't like the idea of throwing it away. I've come to the conclusion that I'm happy with my cruiser and I'm fine with the salvaged title. I know the person I bought it from, I know the story and I know there was no suspicious damage like flooding. If I ever go to sell it, I might knock a few bucks off but I'm not giving it away. It was/is one of the cleanest cruisers I looked at when I was shopping, and i saw many more clean title cruisers that were in horrible condition. Whats the alternative, starting all over with a clean title cruiser just so when I go to paint it I know I might get more money back some day?

There was a point where these cruisers weren't worth very much, especially by KBB standards, but factory parts to replace damaged ones were still expensive. If a truck with 200k needs a new front bumper, hood and fender you might be looking at a total loss pretty easy.

As long as you know the story and can document, I say go for it.

Salvage title decreases selling price in most all cases. YMMV. If keeping it, it's a great negotiating point if it's a vehicle you want.

Looks good. If you plan on keeping it for a long time and don't mind the pitfalls of selling a vehicle with a salvage title then GO FOR IT!

Oh, and make sure to secure that roof rack.

It’s all been said.

You pays your money and takes your chances.

My 95 T100 has a salvage title. At the time, I got enough of a deal on it, I was okay with that. It had been in a front end collision, but everything was straight and in 21 years of owning it and driving it, it never gave me a bit of trouble.

BUT, and that’s a big BUT, I had no plans to ever sell it. My mechanic wants to buy it now and I don’t drive it anymore, but at this point, as hard as I’ve flogged that poor truck, price would be about the same either way.

If it’s a good deal and you never plan to sell the truck and you trust the seller?

Remember going to look at 3rd generation 4 Runner. Seller never mentioned it was salvage until we got there. Looking it over, there was a reason it was salvaged.

Avoid flood damaged cars....

@Cruzerman $17,500 Which I would never pay. For that I can find a really nice one without the problems. Asking the questions because should I want to open a conversation about buying it I would like to know where I stand. It's difficult when purchasing stuff like this because people are attached. Also, this rig, from what I can tell and the conversations I've had with the owner, is probably perfectly fine. If it didn't have the salvage title we would be at a point where I could throw out a number and he could counter. But asking $17,500 with the salvage issue puts us pretty far away from a place I can negotiate from.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom