Next Weeks Meeting and future ideas... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Last month we talked about coming up with a thread to post up ideas for things to cover/do in the monthly meetings. A few good ideas were thrown out there so lets toss out a few more! I hope I am not overstepping my bounds on this one? LAX and the rest of the team can always VETO anything but it could be cool to add a few things into the meetings. We could take advantage of the winter months getting to know one another mo' better.

A few thoughts off the cuff I have are:
  • Intro's of real names, screen names and what rigs you drive every meeting so everyone can familiarize themselves with each others names. Not that anyone ever forgets others names :doh:
  • A "show and tell" rig walk around highlighting someones rig and the mods they've done followed by some Q&A on the build. Maybe 1/month?
  • A "tech time" where we have someone go over the basics/advance techniques related to our rigs... 12v electrical work, how to solder, basic mechanic skills, winter prep items, post trail inspection before hitting the highway, coms related stuff, etc.
  • Maybe a quarterly skill set workshop, how to winch safely, use a highlight without busting your melon, how to spot on the trail, how to use Gaia GPS etc.
  • SWAG and freebie give aways from some of Club Sponsors... raffle style maybe?
  • Club sponsor highlight... so we know WHO they are and what they offer the community in service or products. 1/month?
  • One thing I enjoyed when I ran with the Rising Sun 4x4 crew out of Denver was a "technical questions" time where we open the floor to any annoying, lingering, hard to diagnose tech issues that the group could chime in on and try to help. We've got some very talented folks in 406, could be a big help for the guys just starting to wrench and wheel.
  • Planning to participate in one of the local car shows/downtown events to let others know the club exists and how to join?
What are some other thoughts?

Not technically a club member, but I've been to a couple meetings. I think your first bullet point is really important. Clubs are primarily social groups and it can be a challenge for newer folks to feel connected until they get to know some of the people. A quick "Hi, I'm ___. I drive the ___. I work at ___ doing ___. I like to ___ on the weekends." can go a long way toward creating some connections or opportunities for conversation.

Skill set workshops would be awesome. Recovery techniques could probably be covered multiple times. It would be interesting to do AARs (After Action Review) of recoveries club member participated in. They would cover what went well, what could be improved, and the club could discuss other options they might have had. Bonus points for photos or video. Spotting/Guiding would be great. I try to do a quarterly Ground Guiding classes for my Soldiers in the Guard because it's a perishable skill and it's really frustrating when people aren't using the same signals.

Comms could be covered as a skill set workshop, but it might also be a good plan to do a monthly on-air check in for members with ham radio licenses and equipment. Again, it's a perishable skill, there are some formalities that need to be observed, and this could be an opportunity for folks to verify equipment function and get an idea of the actual range of their gear.

Club sponsor highlights is a great idea for lots of reasons.

Per the last bullet point, are members still putting cards or stickers under the windshield wipers of capable looking Toyota's around town? That's how I initially discovered the club.

I volunteer to show people how to use Adobe Light room and #hashtags to make their Instagram blow up if anyone's interested :p

But seriously Drew great ideas. Way to show initiative.

Great ideas. I like them all.

If we need a few volunteers to coordinate these sub-sections of our meetings. I'm down with helping out.

If the club hasn't yet done an inventory of sorts of the current members, it might be a good thing to do. I'm thinking a short one page type form that basically informs the club of your rig(s), interests, skills, etc. That way the club has an easier time identifying members who can do the tech talks and such. You can also use this info to show sponsors (and potential sponsors) the club makeup.

BTW, I'm totally up for photo processing session. @ttFJC always has stellar shots.

I should be able to make next week's meeting for once and BWW which is even rarer

I can help with recovery stuff and trail spotting tips. Many of you know I usually participate as a trail guide at TLCA's Rubithon(unfortunately didn't make it there this year but planning on next year) Trail spotting tips may be something easier done on a trail ride next summer

Last edited:
We just need a gang over here on the west side of the state, Boozeman is a little too far of a hike for some of us!

First aid/first aid kits (how to handle a chopped off finger in Mexico), tool boxes, trailer on the trail do's and don'ts :doh:!, rig build, Pooping along the way and Overlanding with kids.....etc.
Great thought. Hopefully it doesn't fall on deaf ears.
Anything we can do to contribute.

We just need a gang over here on the west side of the state, Boozeman is a little too far of a hike for some of us!

maybe once a year, do a remote meeting? in Missoula on a Saturday??

I'm usually only able to make 1 or 2 meetings in Bozeman a year, Tuesday's are out for me with driving to Bozeman and my work schedule, so I can only make Saturdays when I can.

Or anywhere in the middle.
I hear there's a good brewery in Philipsburg. ;)
I know for a fact there is a great brewery in Phillipsburg. Did a trail to brewery run with some locals this summer and it was awesome. Couple of cool old mines back there

I hear there's a good brewery in Philipsburg. ;)

Yes there is.

And Bricks Pub right across the street has a good selection also.

As far as P-Burg goes, given the condition of Rock Creek road the last time I traveled it to fish, it would almost be worthy of a trail ride.

It is rougher than Macguder from Darby to the Selway River.

(Still easy enough that a Honda Civic could drive it)

Great suggestions Drew. Always willing to help as I have time. 12v. Ham/CB install/setup. Solar. GPS. CellBooster. General Up-fitting and Best Practices

Thank you Drew! I 100% agree and we will be implementing lots, if not all, of those suggestions. And for your prize maybe you want to do the first "RIG OF THE MONTH" show and tell :cool:

I definitely will be asking for help on the tech time/workshop/skill set (whatever it gets called) portion as we have lots of talented and knowledgable folks in the club that I'll beg and plead to give us a bit of their time!

We have also been talking about getting some sponsors to donate some raffle swag! That will be a Saturday meeting kinda thing and will give forewarning so everybody knows to show up for free stuff.

So for this month we'll be at Cold Smoke Coffee on Willow Peak Dr., the one off Huffine. Tuesday 10/8/19, 7pm. I was hoping the weather would hold for one more outdoor meeting but it's not looking good so we'll just go indoors.

Thank you Drew! I 100% agree and we will be implementing lots, if not all, of those suggestions. And for your prize maybe you want to do the first "RIG OF THE MONTH" show and tell :cool:

I definitely will be asking for help on the tech time/workshop/skill set (whatever it gets called) portion as we have lots of talented and knowledgable folks in the club that I'll beg and plead to give us a bit of their time!

We have also been talking about getting some sponsors to donate some raffle swag! That will be a Saturday meeting kinda thing and will give forewarning so everybody knows to show up for free stuff.

So for this month we'll be at Cold Smoke Coffee on Willow Peak Dr., the one off Huffine. Tuesday 10/8/19, 7pm. I was hoping the weather would hold for one more outdoor meeting but it's not looking good so we'll just go indoors.

I’ll take the first rig of the month... next month. My cruisers a mess and no where near ready for the ball. I’ll plan on it next month if you’d like?

I’ll take the first rig of the month... next month. My cruisers a mess and no where near ready for the ball. I’ll plan on it next month if you’d like?

DEAL 👍

We could even start a running thread for nominations??

Been sitting in the tractor seat thinking about this so I now have a headache but here's my thought, the club was called 406 because it's all inclusive no matter where you're from in the state. Why can't we combine a couple of meetings during the summer with trail rides in other area's of the state. Missoula, Billings, Helena and Great Falls all have area's to ride that will be new to most of us and it would be great meeting guys from those area's. Kalispell is a long ways to travel but I've heard great things about wild bill. The big plus is it would get us out of the darn city and on the trails where we belong, that's all I've got bye bye

Been sitting in the tractor seat thinking about this so I now have a headache but here's my thought, the club was called 406 because it's all inclusive no matter where you're from in the state. Why can't we combine a couple of meetings during the summer with trail rides in other area's of the state. Missoula, Billings, Helena and Great Falls all have area's to ride that will be new to most of us and it would be great meeting guys from those area's. Kalispell is a long ways to travel but I've heard great things about wild bill. The big plus is it would get us out of the darn city and on the trails where we belong, that's all I've got bye bye
[/QU
I like where your head is at.

I'd like to attend one of your meetings and meet you guys, but life is so danged busy.

Maybe next year. Maybe it will be on my 2020 bucket list.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom