Newbuy GPS user and map software Qs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Newbie GPS user and mapping software Qs

Ok, Recently I've been playing with a buddy's Garmin Etrex Vista (the older B&W bersion with the built in 24mg of memory) and am considering it buying from him.

Anyways, I am comfortable for what the unit can do as far as features and benefits. I think that this would be a good first GPS to familiarize myself with GPS technology, for a very reasonable price.

the extrex vista has enough track logs, and waypoints storage...and fairly easy to tap into the features....

To maximize it's benefits, I plan to add a mapping software program to be able to plan trips, input waypoits, then export the maps into the GPS, and or be able to sync with my laptop on trails when needed to see a bigger map picture. I don't have immediate plans of getting the lap top mounted. I would also would like to be able to save travelled trails.

What are your opinions on the following mapping software and what are the particular strengths of each?

1. National Geographic Topo
2. Mapsource topo
3. Oziexplorer

As far as wheeling locations, I generally stick to Cali, Baja and have done Mexico's mainland. I am leaning towards the Mapsource Topo or the Oziexplorer...(oziexplorer seems a bit tech for me...but maybe because I've never used it...or any mapping software for that matter) Where do you get the most bang for your money? and future software upgrade support?

Last edited:
I prefer Garmin's mapsource stuff.

I am looking as why you prefer one topo software over another...barring compatibility issues with your gps...

I have National Geo Topo installed on the PC at home. It works fine for what I want. But, I also have the basic MapSource software that came with my GPS60. I store all of my tracks within Mapsource because I can reload them back to the GPS easier than from NG Topo. Also, look into Google Earth Plus. You can't move tracks from there to the GPS, but it's a kick to download from the GPS to Google Earth. Cost is about twenty bucks. I've been tracking my 14 day Baja adventures with the GPS60 and dumping them into GE.

Where in the Coachella Valley are you? I'm from Palm Desert, now in Albuquerque.

pappy, thanks for the feedback. I live in Indio....Albuquerque is a nice area..better weather...

The thing you want to look for is mapping software that uses the USGS 7.5 minute quad maps as the base map. There are some out there, DeLorme for example that used vector based maps that while having a few nice features, don't typically have the detail of the quad maps.

The best product, IMHO, is Maptech Terrain Navigator Pro. It is by far and away the most feature rich mapping software based on the USGS quads. It is what we use in Search and Rescue and the newest version syncs with Google Earth for orthographic photos. The downside is that its $299 for each state!!

The best product, IMHO, is Maptech Terrain Navigator Pro. It is by far and away the most feature rich mapping software based on the USGS quads. It is what we use in Search and Rescue and the newest version syncs with Google Earth for orthographic photos. The downside is that its $299 for each state!!

Unless things have changed Maptech's maps are not seamless. Yes, they use the USGS topos, but having to figure out which one from an index of numbered maps, and not being able to seamlessly move from one to the another made me toss mine in the trash.

You must have been using a really old version of Maptech. The last several iterations have had seamless scrolling, 3D viewing (comes with the little blue and red lensed glasses) and a built in search engine that makes finding a particular location extremely easy. The latest version syncs with Google Earth and also has its own database of ortho photos that you can download. Maptech also provides a utility to export data to ESRIs ArcView software (even converts to state plane from other datum refeences) for those who are dedicated cartographic nerds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom