Newbie (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi,

My name is Travis and I live in Greenville, SC. I've been lurking around IH8MUD.com for awhile now trying to absorb as much info as possible. I would like to make an official "hello" to Upstate Cruisers as I am very interested in joining. I am very new to Land Cruisers and cars in general but this site has really accelerated my learning about the workings of this legendary vehicle. I would like to go to the August meeting but I have no idea where Aunt Sue's is located and I am not sure if yall have some type joining procedure. I have a stock(w/ lockers), for now, '96 FZJ80 and I hope to be able to get it dirty on some of yalls trips. I look forward to hopefully meeting all of you.

Many Thanks,
Travis

Yeah dude!!!!

Welcome to tha Club! You'll have no probs getting your cruiser dirty. We may even make a Mtn. Estates run after the meeting in August. Oh and getting to Sue's is no prob, you might even get to do a little caravan with some of the guys in Gville, if your not familiar with the area.

Welcome aboard and don't be shy to ask questions, there are so many of us here and we are all full of useful info about our cruisers.

Matt

welcome aboard

By all means please join us at Aunt Sue's .
AS is located on Highway 11 in SC.
A map is on their website. <http://auntsues.com>
Dues can be paid at the meeting.......if you still want
to join after meeting this crowd.....at Aunt Sues.
$10 a year.
Again, please come out to AS. You will have a good time.
Money back guarantee. :)

Welcome, good to meet you hope to see you at the meeting. Its a good time with a bunch of good guys so come out and join us. Probably the best $10 you'll spend this yr.

Travis welcome aboard........... sounds like you have a nice cruiser there, with those factory lockers, I know I am jealous. If you want to come to the August meeting you should get in touch with Trollhole on here he lives in G'vegas too and you could just follow him to Anut Sues. Also if you are acntious to get your 80 in some wheeling action, the Tellico trip is just around the corner August 13-15. We have a good group going and we always have a blast.

As for pictures, when you click on "post a reply" not "post quick reply" look down at the choices under the text box for a button with manage attachtments, that is what you click to up load pics. you might have to resize the pics first though.

also your links aren't working for the two pucs......

JP

Oops, sorry about the links and thanks for letting me know how to post pictures. Yes, I am interested in the Tellico trip but I will need to make sure I will be able to go. Thanks again for the warm reception!

attachment.php

Cool, we will be leaving friday afternoon and returning Sunday morning. We will wheel maybe friday night depends on how brave everyone is feeling and we will def. spend all day sat. wheeling trails 4,5,6. If you can make it come for sure it will be a great first event for you to attend.

On a side note where is the pic. in your avatar taken??? looks to be out in the Rockies somewhere.....

Thanks ClemsonCruiser. I would love to come to the event but I have to make sure I dont have a class that Saturday but if I do, I can always skip it. The picture is taken ontop of King's Peak in the High Unitas Wilderness in Utah. I believe King's Peak is the highest point in Utah, but I am not certain. My brother and I are standing on a ledge but we tried to make it look like we were climbing up a sheer face. How difficult are trail ratings 4,5, and 6? I have only been off-roading a few times and I dont feel like destroying my new toy due to inexperience on a trail that's over my head nor do I want to hold anybody up.

School on Sat. that is not cool man, you are still in high school right? things must have gone down since I left highschool, we never had any Sat. classes, I feel for you..........

As far as tellico goes the trails we will be on are considered easy to moderate at worst. This biggest concern since you have an 80 would be your running boards, they can tend to snag on rocks since they hang so low. So you should just go ahead and remove them and throw on some sliders!!! What size tire are you running in inches? Last time I went there were people running 31's and open diffs that didn't have any problems. I have a rear locker and 34" tires and every thing was a breeze. However I won't lie to you and say there is no chance of damage, because that is just part of offroading, but nobody in our group of 15 recieved any damage last time. These trails (4,5,6,) are the easiest ones to run at Tellico. You with your front and rear lockers should breeze through everything, like I said those running boards on an 80 just hang low. I imagine you could just take them off for the trip and put them on again afterwards, but like I said if you plan on building up your 80 you will be ditching them anyways......... So basically nothing a Landcruiser can't handle, hope this helps

newbie 80 @ Upper Tellico

slick621 said:
Oops, sorry about the links and thanks for letting me know how to post pictures. Yes, I am interested in the Tellico trip but I will need to make sure I will be able to go. Thanks again for the warm reception!

attachment.php

Look at it this way: Drive up to Upper Tellico. You'll get to
wheel up trail 1 to get there. Just a bumpy dirt road. No
damage stuff. I'll probably have a seat for a spotter in my
40. If after trail one and a "look see" you don't want to not risk
the 80, no shame. I may need a spotter. I'll be driving the lowest
level smallest tire truck. It'll be fun. Or trouble. That's wheeling.
I don't want to encourage bad behavior. School is IMPORTANT.
August 27th is rolling up.
Just my old timer .02
See you soon. Again welcome aboard.

Slick just go ahead and get a hammer and whack the fender then take your key and scratch it and then you wont have to worry about damage any more. Eventually everyone gets some if they do any serious wheeling. If you want to keep it pretty for a while then listen to David's (gundy's) suggestion. It will be an interesting ride with him too, he will talk you head off.

Slick,

Yeah man take those blasted ghey steppers off. Its actually pretty ironic when I look at your situation. When I first caught the cruiser bug, I wanted an 80 w/lockers(I mean I still do, I just can't afford one right now). I just came to terms that I would be happy in any series, so I got a 62. I can take momo out an abuse her and she just loves me back even more. This club has been nothing but a blast for me. I have met some great guys (that know nothing but crusiers) which is what I'm trying to develop into. When i first stepped into cruiserdom, I barely knew how to change a tire, but now with little supervision, I can rebuild my front knuckles. Hell, I'm even buying my first 40 series, which is nothing more than a frame/tub/tires and a worn out-f. I'm going build a capable truck outta this pile O'rust and metal. But I'm not worried in one bit, because I have the rest of the club to fall back on if I need any support or questions. It's all a learing experience, and you have to have patience with learning to drive off road and learing to work on your cruiser. Being apart of this club can help you develop into a cruiserhead, just like the rest of us. Hopefully you will be able to come out with us to tellico, even if you don't take your 80, it will be a good time to meet us and see what we as a club are all about. Later dude

Matt

SCJO06 said:
Slick,

Yeah man take those blasted ghey steppers off. Its actually pretty ironic when I look at your situation. When I first caught the cruiser bug, I wanted an 80 w/lockers(I mean I still do, I just can't afford one right now). I just came to terms that I would be happy in any series, so I got a 62. I can take momo out an abuse her and she just loves me back even more. This club has been nothing but a blast for me. I have met some great guys (that know nothing but crusiers) which is what I'm trying to develop into. When i first stepped into cruiserdom, I barely knew how to change a tire, but now with little supervision, I can rebuild my front knuckles. Hell, I'm even buying my first 40 series, which is nothing more than a frame/tub/tires and a worn out-f. I'm going build a capable truck outta this pile O'rust and metal. But I'm not worried in one bit, because I have the rest of the club to fall back on if I need any support or questions. It's all a learing experience, and you have to have patience with learning to drive off road and learing to work on your cruiser. Being apart of this club can help you develop into a cruiserhead, just like the rest of us. Hopefully you will be able to come out with us to tellico, even if you don't take your 80, it will be a good time to meet us and see what we as a club are all about. Later dude

Matt

Well said matt........

Definitely Matt, I was about the same way when I started, and we all saw what I did to my pig. Gutted it, stripped it, chopped it, and anything else I could do that was the opposite of running. And now I have driven it wheeled it and it almost looks decent. You can certainly get a lot of help from the guys in the club.

sup man....good to have somebody else on board

malphrus

Looks like I'm not going to be able to make it to Tellico. My dad and I are were planning to go visit my brother in Charleston, and since I haven't seen him in a few months, I think I better go. However, I will definitely be going to the August 27th meeting and look forward to meeting all of yall!

Good News!

Slick, Have been following your post and want to say You will be missed @ Tellico but welcomed in August at our Annual. Looking forward to meetingyou then.

Alan :)

Travis good to have you aboard, cool name. Can't wait to meet you.

-Travis
'84 FJ60
"Mongo"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom