Newbie Needs some help?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys,

I know this is not really a technical question about Crusiers or anything, it's more opinion based. Bu I need some help.

I currently have a 96' 4Runner(5spd, 4x4, E-locked), lifted, tires and all the good stuff. I really can't afford to keep her anymore, unless I just want to live paycheck to paycheck until my 8K loan is pyed off. I'm in college and the budget gets super tight durring the school year.

What I'm looking at is getting an older Crusier, like a 40 or 60 and getting one in semi deent condition(no fame rust, bodyrust is okay but not prefered). What I need to know is what would you guys suggest? FJ40 or FJ60, I need it to be good in the winter cold and summer heat, I live in NC nd we have a good balance of both seasons.

What are the:

The Positives and Negetives of the FJ40s?

The Positives and Negetives of the FJ60s?

You can be real general, I'm not lookng for to much detail but I figured I could get better info asking group of guys that loves and understands their rigs better than anyone.

Thanks in advance.

If you still owe 8k on the 4runner then moving to another vehicle (and especially a 40) will do you no better financially. Selling your 4runner will get you ***maybe*** 8k and buying a 40 in good condition (no rust) will cost about the same. The down side is banks won't give you a secured loan on a car that old and unsecured loans have a higher interest rate.

Sorry for the $0.02 since it wasn't what you were asking about ... good luck regardless.

Another thing to think about is the amount of time required to maintain an FJ40. While they are reliable vehicles, they do require more attention than a '96 4Runner. I bought mine while I was in college and had no time to keep up with it.

As their telling you, you're probably gonna break even on the 4runner. I've had both 40's and a 62 and if I was in your situation, I would probably go for the wagon. More bang for the buck. You might find a better value with them as they haven't been caught up in the higher priced market of the 40's. You should find a solid truck for $5000, with all the power accessories that make living easier.

Sorry but the money involved in an older fj is not little. if you are a goot machanic you will save. also you need to take in account:
a place to work on it, tool storage, can u weld?

if you have these skills and tools an older fj will be cheeper but if you have to pay to get it done it will be a whole lot more$$$$ ;)

On the other side, the 40 won't depreciate like the 4 runner.

I gave my wife the 4 runner and I went back to the 40. Now I can use the money that would've been for a new car payment and higher insurance, and put it back into my fj.

I've got an awesome daily driver thats probably gonna be worth even more in 10 years. Have u seen the price of these things lately?

Granted, it's not cheap to own a 40 or 60 or a 4 runner, but as of right now, the 40 holds more value. :D

sup bro,

good luck on the decision. it's tough.

i have a 40 and i'm in school. i didn't even get to touch it last semester, sat out in the pit and just got stuff thrown in it and stuff stolen off of it.

i wouldn't trade it for anything though. i love it. it is a lot of work/money, but i don't really care.

it would probably be cheaper/easier to go with a 60. plus you got some extra seating like in your 4runner.

where do you live in nc? i go to clemson, but i'm from near charlotte. i know of a couple of 60s for sale near there if you want me to look into em for you.

well, i'm sure that i did nothing to help you make a decision, so sorry. :D

jonathan
jmalphr@clemson.edu

The biggest issue is having the room/tools/knowhow/time to do everything yourself. If any combination of these factors are not in your favor, then a 40 is not a good move.
Buddy of mine drives a 4runner nearly identical to yours. I drive a 40. He got to spend all his money/time right off the bat on offroad goodies. I got to spend mine on exciting things like rust prevention, brakes, weatherstriping, and windshield wipers. The 4runner will be better bang for buck than a 40 as far as offroad is concerned, at least in the short term, If I were you, I would pay off the 4runner, then start lookin for a cheap 40 to build up.
Unless you don't really need to drive everyday, or have a restored one, I wouldn't consider a 40 a great college car, other than the fact that most girls (the ones that matter anyway) like topless cars.
Unless you really want something old, you might consider an 80. Tougher and have more long-term potential than a 4runner. But without the problems that old cruisers have. I bet you could pick up a 93/94 with elocks F&R for around what you could get out of your 4runner. I'm already lining up an 80 series for college.

i know we get 40's over here dirt cheap :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

this is a rant, warning
but a few things i know from experience:
and i'm biased, i love my 40. i don't have much area to work on it at uni, and sometimes it gives me the shivering quits (rarely), and i dont have much buget, but as long as 4runners are concerned, my friend has one, and lucky he isn't in college (university whatever) because while the 40 has given me a couple of probs which i mainly fixed myself (present vibration not withstanding)

he has spent a couple of grand redoing front suspension components, done a front diff, gets his maintanence done by a mechanic, new stearing arms, and stuff has run him to twice the cost of my 40 in maintanence and repairs alone, and his is wheeled softer than mine now because he's sick of busting stuff.

now his is lifted at least 4inches, and he can only clear 33's unless he flexes it out, in which case they crumple panels, while my 40 runs 33's stock (ok with a little trimming). also a IFS 4runners don't flex that well.

but a early 60 would be almost as easy to work on, so that's an option.

Thanks aot guys for all the feedback I really needed it. I mind left alone to think tend to wonder, that is exactly what mine did. So thanks, I have alot more to think about now, but this time it wil be mor on track.

72Cruiser, in live in High Point, NC, nextdoor to Greensboro, it's near the VA border. You should slide over to Yotatech.com and check things out there, I'm par of a group called 4ROC(4Runners Owners Club) we have about 2 or 3 guys w/ 40s over there as well, if you got upwth us you couldjoin in on any of the group runs you wan,we heading to Uwharrie this weekend. So check us out and look me up over there, same username.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom