newbie intro (with pic)and oil filter ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hey all, I joined the 2-cruiser club back in February with the addition of very nice 97 LX450 (thanks for the help) and thought I should come out of lurker mode. It will be the family truckster so I won't be doing any great mods to it. Hell, I'm hoping to just learn enough to do basic PM. Did the first oil change yesterday and am wondering how in the hell to get the filter out of there without spilling everywhere? I've already learned a ton just lurking, look forward to learning lots more. By the way, any know a good cruiser wrench in Bend, OR?

Last edited:
OK -- really dumb newbie question....How do I post a pic in without linking to it?

go to manage attachments in the options. You can do this when editing. browse and find your image and select it to upload. note that you want to use jpg format and you have a total 450kb upload limit so you will need to resize the photo to keep filesize small. Irfanview is a shareware program that does this nicely.

Oh and if you find a way to get the oil filter off cleanly let me know. I have thought of drilling a hole in the top of the filter just before removal, turning it so it points down and catching the oil with a little bucket underneath the filter, but I mostly just wipe all the crud off my axle afterwards..

Did the first oil change yesterday and am wondering how in the hell to get the filter out of there without spilling everywhere?

Very quickly! You will probably spill some no matter how fast you do it. I like to lay a rag over the axle because that is where it always ends up. After the new filter is in I wipe the block off from below.

Last edited:
You live in Bend?!? I'm so jealous. I had to move back to Portland a year ago. I know of a couple good places down there for european cars, but I will check around for you.

A good person to talk to would be Dustin @ Truck Toyz. He's a good friend of mine. Just drop my name and he will hook you up.

Welcome :flipoff2: and a smaller welcome to the 2 cruiser club!

David

PS - what is Kelty? Any relation/reference to the old mountaineering equipment of years ago?

I've seen mention of putting an aluminum foil "bib" under the filter and along the face of the motor to keep the oil from draining down the sides. I think most just pull it and give the side of the motor a good wipe down... if that.

I'll work on the picture thing this weekend

Chad - thanks for the tip, I'll try and get in touch with Dustin. Please let me know if you find anyone else.

David -- kelty is my dog's name, named after a tent that I lived in for a few summers.....so, yes

I stick some paper towels under the filter (against the block) and slide an oversize baggie over the filter. Keep the opening of the baggie up against the block as best you can while turning the filter. I usually manage to catch some of the oil in the baggie. The towels get most of the rest.

Speed is helpful, as mentioned earlier. Just plan on cleaning up regardless how you do it. Fortunately, most of us don't have to change the filter more than three or four times a year!

Be sure to only hand-tighten the filter (if no one else has mentioned this). Most folks put way to much torque on the filter. And by hand tight, I don't mean as tight as you can by hand, either :)

So I got the picture linked below, but still wondering how to get the picture to show up in the post without having to click the link to it?

attachment.php

Welcome from one newb to another :flipoff2: It's nice to see someone on here so close to me. I am going to bend today. My buddy owns suspension speacalties and is going to look at my caster bushings to see if he put them in wrong. Me and or my LX will be down there today if you want to come say hello. His shop is next to Paradine auto body on empire and the freeway, connector thing. Its those new buildings. Anyways, Howdy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom