Newbie hello / WTB rollbar (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello All - I figured I would introduce myself here first as this is the most active faction in the TLCA and I live just north of Upstate - in the Charlotte area. Woke up on Sunday to the reality that I finally had a '71 40 in the driveway - and now I've got to fix the thing. Plan is to get it on the road this summer and then do more extensive body work over the winter. Right now - biggest obstacles are wiring and brakes - any advice appreciated. Also looking for a roll bar if anyone has leads. Very much a newbie here - not much into mudding - more to use as fun family toy for rides to ice cream, pool, etc. - if membership open, then would appreciate info so can participate in hamoms, etc - so much to learn and paying dues would make me feel better about asking my stupid questions. Thank you.

William Regen
Davidson, N.C.

Hey William,
welcome to MUD :flipoff2:

congrats on the 40. I've had mine for a little over a year and wouldn't trade it for anything......well maybe a nicer 40. but anyway, if you are looking for a nice rollbar, check with Andy at Carolina rock shop in Charlotte. He quoted me a pretty decent price for one very similar to the Metal tech cage. Their website has some good sample pics as well. www.carolinarockshop.com

there are alot of us NC guys here too. this is a great club.

Eric

William welcome to UC. UC is not just North and South Carolina we span over 5 states and 2 continents. With events in SC, NC, TN, and GA we have something for everyone. Check out this thread for information on the club and how to join. https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=148869

As far as roll bars. If your not wheeling it then I would just look in the for sale section of UC or in MUD. Usually you can get a stock one for pretty cheap.

A Cruiserhead is born

Welcome William! Every time I read of a new purchase of a first
40 I think how lucky they are to get to travel this new road of
adventure. The Land Cruiser clan are a great bunch of people.
You will never regret owning a legend. :cheers:
These beasts are pretty simple to wrench but of course have their
own little gremlins to master.
Factory service manuals are available as well as Hayes repair manuals.
Mud is a fantastic resource for info. Jump on in and ask as the questions arise.
A good thing about Mud is you can search the forums and it has
a FAQ section too.
We'll try to help where we can.
Ohm....cruiser,cruiser,cruiser....Ohm

Hey William if you are looking for a stock roll cage I've got one and you can have it for a case of yeungling and you can have all 4 of my front cylinders(brand new) literally 50 miles on them for another case of beer and come to my HAMOM. I switched to disk brakes after my rear brakes blew and had just redone the front ones with OEM cylinders. Also have a front cowl and some random body parts. Welcome to the cruiser family

re: rollbar

Thanks for the welcome guys!! CruisinTiger - two cases of yuengling is definitely in my price range - I think I'll take you up on that generous offer and I'll even throw in a third case for your hospitality. When is that HAMOM?? I'll see if I can get some pics - I've taken the top off, and the front end to get better access to the motor - but I don't think I'm going much farther than that until the fall. A moderate amount of rust on the body and bondo in places but no rust through in the tub or floor boards - I like the soft top look but we'll see. I just want to get it on the road this summer!! Again thanks for the welcome and I look forward to posting in this forum on my progress and hopefully might be able to cruise in the cruiser to meet y'all someday.

William, congrats...give me call, we can stroll around LKN once I get my the FJ I've been looking for...actually will be purchasing another one (this one is a keeper!) this weekend...68FJ40, three on the tree...maybe we can work on them together...Roger

Welcome William. Great trucks, great club. You'll have a ball.
I bought my FJC last winter and have been sucked up into a whole new universe.
I had no idea the fun I'd have with this bunch. All my life I've wanted a good 4wd but had no idea that acquiring one would also be acquiring another world.

In the Charlotte area you're only an hour or less from one of the better wheelin' spots in the tri-state. It's at Uwharrie National forest near Albermarle/Troy NC, about 50-odd miles east-ish of C'lotte. Known colloquially as URE, it's a system of ORV trails from easy to more difficult. Not as gnarly as Tellico, the next nearest public place, it's still a lot of fun. I took my Bonnie up the toughest trail there when she was dead stock and I was totally green.
Check the club calendar, there's a club event 14-15 June there. But most times if you want to go up there and post a thread in advance you can find at least one UCer that wants to go that Sat or Sun. Although Upstate Cruisers is based in Greenville SC there are a number of active members in NC, especially central/eastern NC.

Happy Trails
bw

Welcome, Wiliam!

I also own a '71 fj 40. And as some of the fellers here will attest, they have some "challenges":rolleyes:

My first tip for you is this: learn the month that your 40 was built. It is EITHER pre or post July, 1971. Use this info every time you call any parts house. The guys here in the club have helped me with rebuilding mine. So you picked THE best place to be (and join)!!!!

Welcome to the LIGHT:cool: