Newbie: GM drivetrain + centered rear? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I might have access to a GM SBC/trans/203 for free. will this work with a centered rear?

rellro raggy....

203 would not be my first choice for a t-case, but yes it outta work. And, for that price, hard to pass on. Is the trans a SM465 granny or a 350 auto? If it's the SM465, you then have the rare adapter to the 203 that people want for doublers....

I agree about the 203 being not as desirable as a 205. It now appears that my young cousin has junked the Blazer in question. This may be a blessing in disguise.
I am finding out that the '73 to '87Chevys in the junk yards down here are mostly 2wd. I want to get the whole truck since it would be much cheaper in the long run to get all the brackets,etc and steering and braking upgrades. So the hunt is on for a SBC/ sm465/205 with a TH350 as a distant second choice. I can get a Dodge ramcharger 318/ 727/203? or 208? for $600 the whole truck. What about this? I'm not going to do any extreme Rubicon/ rock crawling so I was planning to keep the motor stock with add on TBI regardless of GM or Dodge.

dodge auto transmissions suck......so plan on a rebuild for sure if u get a 727, and I may be wrong but NP203's are full time 4wd, you would need to get a part time conversion kit (if it was me I'd slap a 205 on the end for double low).

And unless you find a rig with 1 ton axles most centered rears will be a downgrade.

I would go the chevy route, more abundant and cheaper parts.

You likely wont be able to use the steering or brakes from a blazer. (I dont think they use crossover steering)

ps I used to have a ramcharger with a 360, 727, and np203

I had a 727 in my former Scout II and had no problems with it. I was going to have the FJ40's rear centered :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom