Drivetrain question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 1980 FJ40. It has had the original trany & transfer case until recently where I needed lower gearing for crawling. My question is that I have lengthened the drivetrain about 4-4 1/2”. There was no crossmember to support the drivetrain, will extending it out the 4” make much of a difference on rather it will now need a brace under the transfer case? I am very limited on space and will have to come up with something special to make this happen.
Thanks for your input in advance!!

I have a 1980 FJ40. It has had the original trany & transfer case until recently where I needed lower gearing for crawling. My question is that I have lengthened the drivetrain about 4-4 1/2”. There was no crossmember to support the drivetrain, will extending it out the 4” make much of a difference on rather it will now need a brace under the transfer case? I am very limited on space and will have to come up with something special to make this happen.
Thanks for your input in advance!!
If you installed a ToyBox or other second transfer case you are going to want to support it with a new cross-member. When I put in my Toybox I had to cut out the torque tube behind the stock transfer case to move everything back and I used the mount on the ToyBox to fabricate a new cross-member.

Thank you. That is what I have. I did have to cut out the torque tube and will replace further back. My issue is going under the Toybox to support the driveline. The transfer case front driveline is too close to the frame to be able to weld a mount to it. Trying to figure out how to make this happen and still have a skid plate.

Does this clear the fuel tank? Fuel tank sits right behind the torque tube on the left side.
IMG_20190610_172929968.jpg
IMG_20190610_172949300.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom