Newbee on board! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Howdy,

I just bought a 95 fzj80 with 90k on it. I have yet to see the rig in person because I am in Oregon and it is in Boston. My brother in law checked it out and drove it. As far as he could tell it was a very clean rig. I am getting a used car inspection done tommorow and if it is clear then I have my new rig!

I have been jonesing for a cruiser for years and now that my Jeep XJ is dying I have an excuse. Now if I can only afford that Kaymar/ARB bumper combo and some OME suspension. All in due time.

This rig is going to be my guide rig (Flyfishing/hunting) and as of next January, stay at home daddy with twins rig. :bounce: :bounce:

Any and all words of wisdom are welcome, I am sure mine will be provided, like it or not! :D

Fly Rod

Fly Rod,

Welcome to IH8MUD and Cruiser ownership. Hang around a bit and we'll give you lots of suggestions for adding toys and draining the #6 fund.

:flipoff2:

-B-

As a newbie to another :flipoff2: welcome. No jeep can compare to the 80 - I should know; I owned two - traded the Wrangler and gave the Cherokee to my mother. My two girls love my FZJ80.

That sounds like a nice Cruiser. The planning of how to make a vehicle fit your needs is a lot of fun. Look around the board and see what other people have and ask questions.

Do you plan on driving it to Oregon or will you have it shipped?

What sort of fishing/hunting guiding is your speciality?

Welcome aboard Fly Rod :flipoff2:

No excuses...where are the pics? :D

Sounds like the right truck at the right time. Won't be long before they are jockeying for the driver's seat (see my avatar). Are you going to run the car seats side by side or inline?

Welcome :flipoff2:

David

Last edited:
rgsiii,

I guide Salmon/Steelhead most of the time and occasional Trout. I do cast and blasts in the fall, decoying birds in the am Steelhead all day and maybe geese in the pm.

I am going to have it shipped because it will be @ $800 cheaper than flying out and driving. Ashland is one of those places that you can't get to from anywhere, if you know what I mean.

OZCAL,

It depends if one of them is always getting the better of the other!

txkndu,

Of course no jeep can compare. But you have to love the turning radius of a jeep! They aren't too bad on trail when you get OME suspension and some other toys on them.

I just dropped the hint that I will need a Kaymar hitch bumper to tow the boat and a bull bar to PROTECT me from deer. "Of course you will." :bounce: :bounce2:

Yeti

Welcome and Salute :flipoff2:
Congrats on the cruiser AND the future twins! :cheers:
First thing you will want to do is replace the fluids, spark plugs, air filter, etc. Give her a general once over to give yourself a good baseline.
Congrats again and welcome aboard

Fly Rod said:
OZCAL,

It depends if one of them is always getting the better of the other!

I think side by side has to leave the middle seat free, so unless one has long arms you should be all right there...

David

When it comes time for some major work, come on over to CDA and we'll get a weekend work party together for some of the guys that have not done it. Welcome to the board. So, who's shipping your truck and when? They'll undoubtedly come right through here on the 90 so maybe I can catch a glimpse.

DougM

Welcome aboard :flipoff2: Always nice to have another newbies around. Where's those pics?

I haven't seen the rig in person. Kind of buying it on a wing and a prayer. My brother in law drove it and liked it and if the mechanic says its ok then I'll finalize the deal today. I'll get :flipoff2: pics ASAP!

I am going to use AAAdvantage shipping, Boston to SFO.

I am going to start with suspension and FR/RR bumpers ASAP. I have installed OME on my xj so should be able to handle the install. Though it is always better to do these things by commitee over a few cold ones. Who/Where is CDA? remember I am a newbee here.

I am crawling out of my skin in antisipation about getting this rig!

Fly Rod

Fly Rod said:
...Who/Where is CDA? remember I am a newbee here...
I'm going to guess (because Doug posted it and IIRC, that's where he lives) that CDA is Coeur D'Alene, Idaho. :D

The drive from SFO to Ashland should be nice. If you plan correctly, you might be able to stop by Mudraks on the way home and pick up your OMEs from him ;) (www.mudrak.com)

Welcome!

We are one big (mostly) happy family here. We enjoy working on and modifying our cruisers...and if we can't work on ours, we work on someone else's! If we can't work on someone else's, we talk about it!!!!! :)

We will be more than happy to help you decide how to spend your maintenance and mod money!

MaddBaggins said:
First thing you will want to do is replace the fluids, spark plugs, air filter, etc. Give her a general once over to give yourself a good baseline.

Fly Rod,

Pay attention to this excellent advice. You mentioned your first purchases will be OME and ARB. These are great products and well designed for your 80 Series. However, you will be much happier in the long run if you spend $1,000 or so and get the vehicle 100% mechanically. For specifics, find IdahoDoug's recent post of the things he did when he brought home his 2nd Land Cruiser; a used '97 that he added to his original '93.

We realize that these maintenance items aren't as much fun but they sure bring a lot of peace of mind when you take clients out to the boonies for a weekend of fishing.

-B-

Beowulf,

Advice taken. I love to work on my rigs and plan to do a full service ASAP. I agree, get it running strong internally then go external.

It will be interesting to see what I can't do on this rig. I did all the fluids, intake, exhaust, lighting, lift and rebuild of the rear axle on the XJ in my drive way. My wife believes that cussing helps loosen stuck nuts! (That doesn't mean talking dirty in bed!) ;p I love to get greasy and to figure out how things work. Hard part is getting them all together again without left over nuts & bolts! :doh:

Fly Rod

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom