newb question (what are these for?) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Complete newb here. I'm in the middle of a light restoration of an '81 BJ42 (Canadian) and I'm disassembling the parts in the engine compartment so that I can get down to the frame for rust removal, repair, and powder coating. I'm staring into the engine bay and I'm wondering what these two things bolted to the firewall are, and what function they serve. I honestly don't know and want to learn. If you are facing the front of the truck, one is on the upper left of the firewall and the other is the upper right.

Upper left of the firewall:

Upper right of the firewall:

I am brand new to diesel engines so I'm trying to not assume anything about the function of anything. So what are these and what do they do?

upper right is your brake master cylinder, upper left (I believe) is the blower motor for your fan/heater. Have fun with the project!

Yep. Upper right is your brake master cylinder, the metal manifold with the reservoir of brake fluid above it and the metal lines running off towards each of your wheels, and is connected to your brake pedal. The big black thing between the firewall and the brake master in upper right #3 is the power brake booster. It's essentially a vacuum assisted amplifier for the brake pedal pressure you apply, otherwise, you'd have to put both feet on the pedal and push hard. YouTube is your friend for video how-to's on removing and/or servicing these. The power brake master/booster thing is essentially the same for all passenger vehicles.

Left is turbo , right is oldstyle bitcoin harvester.

Can't identify which but at least one of them is a flux capacitor. 1.21GW derated.

Left is turbo , right is oldstyle bitcoin harvester.

You're probably right about the left being turbo. Last time I had this truck on the freeway, the 3B had me doing a solid 55 MPH. It must have a turbo to get going that fast.

As for the right, you're wrong about that one. This is an oldstyle bitcoin harvester:

Thanks for the replies. I've got the manuals now and hopefully I'll have fewer "total newb questions."

It's only complicated because it's so simple.

I spent 4 hours last night reading the 3B engine manual and groking the wiring diagram and realized that you are 100% correct. It is shockingly simple. No wonder they are so reliable, there is very little that can go wrong.

I think folks overthink it and have a hard time accepting that it's really an Indonesian jungle bus. I think you can disassemble 90% of the truck with the tools that come in the bag. Pretty cool.

I think you can disassemble 90% of the truck with the tools that come in the bag.

I have noticed that most bolts are 10mm with a few heavier duty 16mm.

Speaking of the tool bag, where on the truck was the tool bag stored? I have the original bag but none of the tools that go in it.

If it has a 16mm it’s not an OEM bolt. 10,12,14,17,19,21,24 is most of what you will encounter.

Rust will be faster than that Sapphire Block Erupter (330 MH/s hash, $0.01 per month) but any hardfork originates from the brakebooster design, see the wiki :banana:

If you are in the cold part of Canada you might want to read about glowplugs and how they pre heat the combustion chamber to start, and see if yours has an electric block/radiator heater.
A picture of the car would be nice.

If you are in the cold part of Canada you might want to read about glowplugs and how they pre heat the combustion chamber to start, and see if yours has an electric block/radiator heater.

I am not in a cold part of Canada but the truck came from BC. I live in Vegas. The engine does have a block heater installed. I'll post some pictures soon.

You got some balls taking apart a truck that you don't know anything about anything. :worms:

You might want to start by rebuilding your mamas lawn mower first?

Don't mind me. I am a bit of a dick.

Hey , we all gotta start somewhere. And I've had a lot of cars, and frequented a lot of forums. This forum is by far the best group of people that are willing to help out others, and is part of reason I got back into Land Cruisers after a 20 year hiatus.

@cruisedeisel, it's ok to be a bit of a dick, as long as you help out once in a while too, which I think you do....

You got some balls taking apart a truck that you don't know anything about anything.

LOL, yup. I’m not stupid, just inexperienced. I have spent the last 20 years as a software engineer working in cryptography and security. I bought this land cruiser because it is a metaphor for my life right now. I recently divorced after 15 years of marriage and I’m taking apart the land cruiser and restoring it just like I’m doing to my life. I gave up hunting and fishing and backpacking to be married to my ex and now I’m getting all of that back. This cruiser is going to be my hunting truck. I may not know much about it right now but I’m learning quickly. After I realized that I could get digital versions in the maintenance manual I read it all and I’m pretty caught up. I’ll be lifting the 3B out this week and pulling off the lower tub t get to the frame to de-rust and repair and powder coat it.

I love the sense of humor that this community has and I appreciate your patience for newb questions. I know I’ll have more. Stay classy h8’ers.

sounds like you are. nor can u spell "Diesel", or use apostrophes. :)

What about using "CAPITALS" ya bastard. It Wouldn't be the first time I have had that corrected for me. DAM Firing squad

P.S. I never graduated from high school either but my momma says I am smart.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom