{Newb alert} Thinking of a FZJ80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all. I've been doing quite a bit of reading on this forum and I'm impressed with how well people are treated, and I'm hoping this post (my first) doesn't get me flamed.:D

I'm considering buying, but I've got a few different requirements than most of the people here. I'm not going to go wheeling much, and this would be my work vehicle.

My job requires me to drive a lot. Like as much as 10,000 miles a month. Usually more like 4,000 or 5,000 though. I've been using Subaru's (I'm a bit of an addict; I've got a pretty modded '02 WRX and I'm on my sixth Suby). But I'm tired of the depreciation having a new but high milage car hits me with. So I'm looking for a vehicle that is reliable and built like nails. I don't want to worry about every rock chip and door ding.

Most of my milage is on the hiway (Northern Alberta) but a significant amount is gravel and dirt roads, and occasionally I've got to go humping across a farmer's field. On occasion, I walk through some bush and muck, but I'd rather drive :D.

So, let's say I've got 10k to spend (I don't want to finance anything). I know the fuel economy of these things isn't great, but some guys that do what I do use pickup's, so I don't think that's a deal breaker. I live in Canada, so I'll have to buy in the US and import. I've done that before, and its a pain, but doable.

I've looked at JDM Land Cruiser Diesel's, but they are expensive (16K plus for a '93) and I'm not thrilled about right hand drive.

What advice can people here offer? Bad idea? Cost of operation? What things to look out for in a used LC?

Thanks in advance.

Steve

Welcome,

LX450s were sold in canada so that might be an option.

You will be surprised how much the gas will cost.

I'd go with a 96-02 4runner, or an extended cab tacoma for your stated needs. A T100 would also fit the bill.

Welcome! :flipoff2:

buying from the U.S. is awesome right now due to our high dollar!! I just picked one up (Get it on Thurs).

Look in the FAQ's and they will tell you about the service required on the rig.

Plan on dong the headgasket as they seem to all need this done eventually.!!
They eat brakes up pretty quick
Axle seals also go too!!

Just my 2 cents!!

Welcome fellow Canuck....:flipoff2:

You should be able to pick up a real nice mall queen for 10k.
Find one that has been cared for with low mileage, sounds like you are going to put lots on yourself.

Lockers would help you with re-sale, even though you won't need them yourself.

I agree with KliersLC, a lighter toyota product would better suit your needs, but to buy one in Canada with the reliability of a well maintained 80 will set you back twice the coin.

And the gas bill will suck so you need the company to pay for your fuel (and you might think about an Aux tank, because your range is not that great either).

The 80 is a great truck. I think for the amount of miles you are doing a 3rd gen 4 runner would be a good fit. They get 24 MPG on the hwy vs the 15-17 of the 80. The 80 is a bigger and heavier truck and a there is no better stock truck offroad than a locked 80 IMOP.

The 4runner is pretty good as well. Here is a picture of my daughter driving her 99 4runner. You can lift those, add bigger tires, sliders and bumpers as well.

Based on where you are going to be I would recommend either a limited 4runner with a rear locker or a locked 80
4runner.jpg

Ok, I get paid pretty well for milage. The extra fuel used will eat into my "profit", but with no monthly payment and no worries about excessive depreciation, that's a trade off I'm willing to make.

So if you take the fuel use out of the equation, is this vehicle suitable for spending 16 hour days in?

My car before this was an 06 STI, and I still see it as an upgrade from the Subie.

The mod bug has attacked me badly in the first year which is where most of the money disappears to, and sadly also means less gas mileage - so higher fuel costs.

I'm down to the 10-12mpg range, but I'd still say the fun factor cancels out the gas mileage issue for me.

Its amazing how I use my truck hard on the trails and couple hundred mile road trips and everything works like new. I know plenty of people with less than 3 year old vehicles that squeak and rattle and break so often that they're surprised my truck is 11 years old and in better shape than their vehicle.

If you don't have to pay for fuel... that almost makes it an easy decision: buy the nicest 80 or 100 LC you can afford.

But - hard to say where the depreciation numbers will end up - you suggest a potential 100,000 miles a year? That crushes any vehicle resale. Even with free gas these require care and feeding. This is to transport one person, with no gear or large/heavy equipment ... with no plans for expedition travel or trail use, honestly it sounds like an AWD car or 4wd SUV would suit your needs fine.

I spend up to 16 hours a day in my 80, because I use it for work.
It's extremely comfortable. At 6', I prefer the 80's cabin size to any Runner I've owned (and I've owned first, second and third gen 4Runners).

A good 80 out of the US is going to cost about half what a good LX450 will cost within Canada, just because of the availability. I still see LX450s listed for around $25K here. You can pick up a cherry 80 in the States and land it for under $12,000 right now,

:flipoff2:

nice shot there Ken.;)

Ok, I get paid pretty well for milage. The extra fuel used will eat into my "profit", but with no monthly payment and no worries about excessive depreciation, that's a trade off I'm willing to make.

So if you take the fuel use out of the equation, is this vehicle suitable for spending 16 hour days in?

You get paid for mileage, not fuel. You also have to think about cost of oil, grease, a birf repack roughly twice a year, tranny services, u joints, tires, coolant flushes etc.

You could cut your costs quite a bit by going with a part time 4wd rig, preferably with a manual tranny.

I am not trying to talk you out of getting an 80, they are great trucks, but for your useage, an IFS part time 4wd rig would serve you far better.

:hmm: Hopefully they figured it out in last 10yrs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom