New with 99 LX (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,

I picked up a 99 LX back in December, and this site has been a great resource both before and after purchase. I wanted to wait until I had something to contribute back before posting up.

Details: 1999 LX 470 195k miles. Smoky topaz (I know, I believe it has had quite a bit of repainting done already). The only paint issues it had when I first looked at it were on the "soft parts" The C pillar vents had the typical fading issues, and all of the clear coat had blown off of the side mirrors. The dealership did quite a bit of paint and body work prior to me taking delivery. Here it is the day I picked it up late December.

20191230_152143.jpg

20191230_152125.jpg

20191230_152134.jpg

And back home:

20200215_151205.jpg

I'm setup with techstream now and have a few containers of new AHC fluid that I need to flush once it stops raining long enough to crawl around on the driveway. So far I'm just cleaning up some minor issues. She'll need a timing belt service this spring, and I have a slight rear axle leak on the driver side.

But, now on to the main topic of the thread. This truck has the Nakamichi stereo, and I might be the only person on earth who actually likes the factory look/feel and sound. It "worked" but had two annoying issues. The first of which which was the left channel would cut in and out, but would come back if you quickly adjusted the volume. That I knew from my vintage stereo work was a classic symptom of a dirty volume potentiometer.

The other issue was I was somehow the only person with one of these that had a working CD changer. But, beginning around track 5 or 6 of each CD played, it would start skipping. So, out it came and on the bench.

The first interesting thing is the volume an function knobs are part of the logic board on the faceplate, not attached to the main body of the unit itself. Gently work the plastic clips off all the way around and the faceplate with knobs will separate from the main unit.

20200215_152826.jpg

20200215_152829.jpg

Remove the screws securing the two smaller boards along both edges, as well as the CD loading slot and you will then have access to the knob side.

20200215_154351.jpg

The potentiometers looked like sealed units, not the 1960s open type I'm used to, no place to spray contact cleaner in. But, I thought I might be able to drip some in through the shaft opening. I use DeOxit D5, and applied it to the shaft and let it work its way inside. I then put the knob back on and worked it back and forth through its full range of movement 100 times.

20200215_154346.jpg

Next I continued to break the unit down to get access to the CD changer. My aim here was to clean the laser with isopropyl alcohol, and attempt to clean/regrease the transport sled the laser runs on.

Top cover off, it looks like the case is used as a heat sink for some transistors, careful to keep the thermal paste in place, or be prepared to apply more during reassembly.

20200215_160116.jpg

You can now see the CD changer works. This thing is fiendishly complex, and I started to realize there was no way I could easily access the laser transport mechanism. It was here that I made my big mistake. I spun the changer mechanism to separate the trays hoping it would give me better access. It didn't, I was able to get a cotton swab with isopropyl alcohol on the laser, which you can just barely peeking out to the left of the CD spindle.

20200215_162742.jpg

I put it all back together, back in the truck, hopeful the cleaning had at least helped. And.....I've now joined the ranks of ERROR 3 Nakamichi owners. I pulled it back out, and back apart thinking it didn't like the fact that when I reset the mechanism I had it bottomed out. So, I reset the trays to the mid-point of their travel hoping it would cause the unit to reset, but no luck. It didn't even sound like it tried, so I'm thinking once ERROR 3 is set, it needs to be cleared before the unit will allow the mechanism to move again.

If I could get my hands on a service manual, I'm sure I could get it to work again, as I know there is no physical damage. I tried several combinations of button press/hold hoping I'd stumble on something, but no luck.

So, there you have it, I was 50% successful as the left channel/volume control issues are now fixed. Hopefully at least having some more info/pics of the inside of this unit on the board is helpful.

Hi all,

I picked up a 99 LX back in December, and this site has been a great resource both before and after purchase. I wanted to wait until I had something to contribute back before posting up.

Details: 1999 LX 470 195k miles. Smoky topaz (I know, I believe it has had quite a bit of repainting done already). The only paint issues it had when I first looked at it were on the "soft parts" The C pillar vents had the typical fading issues, and all of the clear coat had blown off of the side mirrors. The dealership did quite a bit of paint and body work prior to me taking delivery. Here it is the day I picked it up late December.

20191230_152143.jpg

20191230_152125.jpg

20191230_152134.jpg

And back home:

20200215_151205.jpg

I'm setup with techstream now and have a few containers of new AHC fluid that I need to flush once it stops raining long enough to crawl around on the driveway. So far I'm just cleaning up some minor issues. She'll need a timing belt service this spring, and I have a slight rear axle leak on the driver side.

But, now on to the main topic of the thread. This truck has the Nakamichi stereo, and I might be the only person on earth who actually likes the factory look/feel and sound. It "worked" but had two annoying issues. The first of which which was the left channel would cut in and out, but would come back if you quickly adjusted the volume. That I knew from my vintage stereo work was a classic symptom of a dirty volume potentiometer.

The other issue was I was somehow the only person with one of these that had a working CD changer. But, beginning around track 5 or 6 of each CD played, it would start skipping. So, out it came and on the bench.

The first interesting thing is the volume an function knobs are part of the logic board on the faceplate, not attached to the main body of the unit itself. Gently work the plastic clips off all the way around and the faceplate with knobs will separate from the main unit.

20200215_152826.jpg

20200215_152829.jpg

Remove the screws securing the two smaller boards along both edges, as well as the CD loading slot and you will then have access to the knob side.

20200215_154351.jpg

The potentiometers looked like sealed units, not the 1960s open type I'm used to, no place to spray contact cleaner in. But, I thought I might be able to drip some in through the shaft opening. I use DeOxit D5, and applied it to the shaft and let it work its way inside. I then put the knob back on and worked it back and forth through its full range of movement 100 times.

20200215_154346.jpg

Next I continued to break the unit down to get access to the CD changer. My aim here was to clean the laser with isopropyl alcohol, and attempt to clean/regrease the transport sled the laser runs on.

Top cover off, it looks like the case is used as a heat sink for some transistors, careful to keep the thermal paste in place, or be prepared to apply more during reassembly.

20200215_160116.jpg

You can now see the CD changer works. This thing is fiendishly complex, and I started to realize there was no way I could easily access the laser transport mechanism. It was here that I made my big mistake. I spun the changer mechanism to separate the trays hoping it would give me better access. It didn't, I was able to get a cotton swab with isopropyl alcohol on the laser, which you can just barely peeking out to the left of the CD spindle.

20200215_162742.jpg

I put it all back together, back in the truck, hopeful the cleaning had at least helped. And.....I've now joined the ranks of ERROR 3 Nakamichi owners. I pulled it back out, and back apart thinking it didn't like the fact that when I reset the mechanism I had it bottomed out. So, I reset the trays to the mid-point of their travel hoping it would cause the unit to reset, but no luck. It didn't even sound like it tried, so I'm thinking once ERROR 3 is set, it needs to be cleared before the unit will allow the mechanism to move again.

If I could get my hands on a service manual, I'm sure I could get it to work again, as I know there is no physical damage. I tried several combinations of button press/hold hoping I'd stumble on something, but no luck.

So, there you have it, I was 50% successful as the left channel/volume control issues are now fixed. Hopefully at least having some more info/pics of the inside of this unit on the board is helpful.

I have the exact same vehicle (year model and paint color). Its amazing how different Smoky Topaz Mica looks in different light settings. I also happen to like the Factory Head Unit just fine. You are the first person I've seen actually tear into one though. Most Radio Repair shops won't touch them.

lex44.JPG

lex46.JPG

Nice, I like your truck! You're right about smoky topaz mica, it looks completely different based on lighting. Yours looks nice without the chrome wheels and with the rear window deflector. Does your CD changer work? As I tried in vain to find a service manual, I did turn up a couple PDFs from Fujitsu talking about how this was the first compact in-dash 6 disc changer on the market.

If I ever come across the magic sauce to trigger the mechanism to reset, I'll definitely share with the world.

I came across an oblique reference to pulling the fuse, holding the eject button and then re-inserting the fuse. It didn't seem to do much for mine, but could be worth a try.

Just an update to say thanks to the Mud community for all the helpful info.

I followed Paddo's AHC flush process and the FSM to get cross level and neutral pressures set.

I was able to correct the front driver side sag, and got the front pressure dialed in bang on 6.9 Mpa. Rear ended up at 6.6 on 200,000 mile springs, so ready for a new set. Graduations went from 6 to 9 after getting everything set.

I had this on my back burner for a long time, and finally got around to getting it done yesterday. Let me just say, I'm a total believer! I thought I was an AHC fan before, after everything was flushed and set to spec the truck feels much "tighter" with less tendency to crash and jar over smaller bumps. Maybe some of that is psychosomatic, but I think there really is a significant difference after setting everything up properly.

I was a bit gun shy to tear into this, but it ended up all going exactly as described, no drama. I hosed down all the bleeder screws with penetrating oil before turning them, and they all moved easily. I was a bit worried because two of the rubber dust caps were missing. But, the truck isn't rusty so I'm sure that was a big part of it. The only odd thing I noticed was I got almost no fluid out of the height accumulator when bleeding that, but I'm chalking that up to probably having some air in the system after running a bit low on fluid at one point earlier this year when raising the truck to high.

Thanks as always Mud, glad to have this one under my belt and won't hesitate on it next time it's due.

On your in-dash CD changer mechanism, I've managed to fix ERROR3 twice by gently working the elevator mechanism up and down. Mine naturally wanted to "spring" back slowly to the highest position. If yours doesn't, I'm guessing that a spring is loose or disconnected on that mechanism. I'm guessing they like to get stuck after years of use and no lubrication. However, mine was a Pioneer made ML headunit in an 01. Depending on what vendor actually made the HU, your luck may not be as good as mine.

Wow, that paint looks great. Congrats on the purchase (albiet I'm late to the party on congratulating you). Seattle/Tacoma has a lot of LC's, and is an overlooked area for people when searching as the vehicles purchased and native to that area are usually quite rust free.

The rear axle seal isn't a bad job and fortunately doesn't require special tools outside of a seal puller. You will find several resources here when you go to do yours. Good luck on it!

Thanks all, always a great community and source of info here!

Got the axle seal done a few months back, AHC dialed in now. Next big project will be pulling the headliner down and replacing the sunroof cables and guides so I can use it next year.

On the stereo front, as much as I love the factory look and feel, I think I've decided to go with a modern Pioneer unit. Looking back through the service history, the Nakamichi has already been replaced with factory refurbished units 3 times. Being one of the first in dash 6 disc changers, it sounds like it was never particularly reliable even when new. The first reman went in when the truck was only 2 years old.

fluid.jpg

ahcdata.jpg

Ok, the latest project was inspired by @katit on his build/restoration thread. It's the little things...

My PRNDL indicator panel had the usual peeling/bubbling sticker on the back.

prndl_before1.jpg

Not to mention, the bezel was all messed up. It looks like the last person in here tried to take it out with a fork, while blindfolded...

prndl_before2.jpg

prndl_parts.jpg

prndl_prog1.jpg

prndl_prog2.jpg

prndlcompare.jpg

prndl_after.jpg

Done!

THAT looks spectacular

Sweet Lexus! I know you got it a while ago, but just saw this thread. Love/hate the wheels. My 99 has the same chrome wheels and while I love the 90's look I also don't love the chrome. Mine actually make a squeaking sound when I drive. It's coming from the center caps but it drives me crazy.

Thanks everyone, it was all thanks to inspiration and how-tos I found on here!

My center caps sometimes do the squeaky thing too, but thankfully it's usually raining or I'm on the freeway so not too many window down drives here. One of my center caps was missing when I got the truck, so I found a replacement, that one fits much tighter than the 3 older ones. I'm going to give a go at slightly bending the metal wire than locks it to the wheel one of these days to see if I can get the other 3 to tighten up, I'm afraid they might fall off otherwise someday.

Sweet Lexus! I know you got it a while ago, but just saw this thread. Love/hate the wheels. My 99 has the same chrome wheels and while I love the 90's look I also don't love the chrome. Mine actually make a squeaking sound when I drive. It's coming from the center caps but it drives me crazy.
Huh, interesting. I have been looking for some phantom squeaks on my 99 LX470 for a while. I just pulled all the center caps off today and plastidipped the wheels (not chromes, just the cast aluminum/ painted ones). Turned out good and I like the way it looks without the caps, and if it squeaks less while riding around... that's a hefty bonus and I'll just leave em off. :D

Sorry for the semi-dead-thread bump.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom