New wheels, TPMS issues. Generational difference? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all,

I just started looking into the issue, but thought I would post a thread here in case someone knows the answer right off.

I have a 2012 Sequoia Platinum.

I purchased 2019 Tundra wheels, complete with tires and TPMS.

The sensors are confirmed working with the mobile device the dealer uses. Batteries are good.

They could not get the Sequoia to see them.

Any ideas? Is there an incompatibility, or could the mechanic have not done the proper initialization? I plan on googling the procedure myself, but if the sensors are just not compatible, I don't want to waste too much time. Thanks.

Theyre likely running different frequency.

The hand-held scanner should show the frequency reading.

Last edited:
Theyre likely running different frequency.

The hand-held scanner should show the frequency reading.
So if that's the case, my only option is to get new sensors for these wheels, yes?

Still inside the original tires and wheels, now in storage. I thought of pulling those to solve the issue after, but it might be easier to buy new.

It just never occurred to me that the TPMS in a Tundra wheel would not work in the Sequoia.

Back in 2012, all Tundra and Sequoia used the TRW sensors.

If the 2019 Tundra assemblies you got came from a Tundra with the push button start (aka smart key), then they will have Pacific Sensors and those won't work with your 2012 Sequoia. Only the smart key equipped Tundras will have Pacific sensors.

An quick and easy way to confirm (assuming they haven't been swapped out) is that Pacific sensors uses the black cap on the stems while TRW sensors uses the grey caps on the stems.

It is even possible even if they are TRW, they may not work either because TPMS sensors can and do change some from model year to model year. Mostly programming changes.

Last edited:
An quick and easy way to confirm (assuming they haven't been swapped out) is that Pacific sensors uses the black cap on the stems while TRW sensors uses the grey caps on the stems.

It is even possible even if they are TRW, they may not work either because TPMS sensors can and do change some from model year to model year. Mostly programming changes.

Hey, that's some great info, thank you.

They ARE grey which is interesting. I will just try to find a good set of OEM replacements that are not as expensive as from the dealer.

Thank you.

Here is a pic I had from awhile back. (Sorry for the orientation but that is how I have it on my phone)

1AA87F3E-D211-4958-B8AF-91D8235A80FB.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom