New Unpleasant Experience - Solution Ideas? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I had this happen yesterday morning up in the mountains on a trail that was new to me and I was not prepared for it. I didn’t have a jack that was workable and I didn’t have a breaker bar to loosen the lugs that my mechanic overtightened last week.

Luckily a couple of locals came out and with an off road floor Jack, a can of starter fluid, and a lighter, re-seated the tire for me.

Is this a common experience for anyone here? I was running the tires at 20 lbs, which I thought would make this less likely than running them at 15. Are bead locks a real solution or more of a nuisance?

4246BE2B-6C70-4E9D-972F-5EB019C751CA.jpeg

70A2FA15-D14E-4F27-8057-3D153F494CE0.jpeg

Blowing beads is not that uncommon when airring down too much. It depends on the tire, vehicle weight and rim size. Yes beadlocks prevent this from happening. Fyi, Bolt on beadlocks are not dot approved. It seems you went trail riding unprepared.

No doubt, I could have had some additional tools and will next time. This vehicle and trail driving are relatively new for me. Thanks for the confirmation on the beadlockers.

You might want to look in the Clubhouse section of this website and see if there are local clubs or groups in your area that you can wheel with. They will help teach you the techniques about wheeling and repairs. It's usually best to wheel with another vehicle or more, so you wont be stranded. You and the other vehicles should have adequate equipment , along with basic survival supplies and clothing. Usually 20psi is a decent tire pressure, but looking at your tires and rims, it appears you have skinny tires on wide rims so you probably need a little more air. You should have a decent 4 way lug wrench or a socket and a breaker bar, some type of bottle jack, hydraulic or screw type, and a portable air 12volt compressor that you can plug in. Starter fluid works sometimes or until you're the can is empty. I prefer a ratchet strap wrapped around the center of the tire tread. Tightening the strap will force the tire bead to the rim bead, then add air to seat the tire. Once the bead seats be sure to loosen the strap. To do this you need to have the tire off the ground and the tire and rim beads need to be clean. I would also recommend a valve stem shrader valve removal tool to increase the amount of air going into the tire. Once the bead is seated you reinstall the valve. Other equipment would be a tire plug kit, a recovery strap with just loops on the end(NO METAL HOOKS sewn on the end) and the vehicle should have good recovery points. Clevises and a basic tools to start. The more the better.

Internal bead locks are available too. Staun makes some, but they are expensive.

Last edited:
Agree that for a basically stock 100 bead locks are not what’s needed here. What’s needed are basic recovery and tire changing tools.

Thanks for the tools list and suggestions. We had the four way lug tool and a screw jack (which was not working in this instance), the air compressor and most everything else. I need to add the breaker bar, the ratchet strap (great idea), a better jack, and valve tool. So basically I had the basic tools, just not all functional in this situation (breaker bar or cheater pipe was a key missing element).

You are right about the tires 285/75 16’s on stock wheels. I was wanting to avoid rubbing and do like narrower tires for the occasional snow travel. I guess this is part of the price for that decision.

Thanks for the tools list and suggestions. We had the four way lug tool and a screw jack (which was not working in this instance), the air compressor and most everything else. I need to add the breaker bar, the ratchet strap (great idea), a better jack, and valve tool. So basically I had the basic tools, just not all functional in this situation (breaker bar or cheater pipe was a key missing element).

You are right about the tires 285/75 16’s on stock wheels. I was wanting to avoid rubbing and do like narrower tires for the occasional snow travel. I guess this is part of the price for that decision.
I find it interesting that you lost a bead at 20psi with a 285/75r16 on stock wheels. That's not a skinny tires by any means and that's not super low pressure, IMO. I know pictures can be deceiving, but the trail doesn't look particularly rough either. I guess that's one you just have to chalk up to crap happens and be more prepared next time.

A basic tool kit is definitely a necessity for off roading. I also recommend always breaking lug nuts loose and re-torquing them to factory spec after getting new tires or some sort of maintenance performed by a shop where the tires have been removed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom