New Tundra 10.5 Rear End (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I looked at a new 5.7 powered toyota 4 door at the Off Road Impact show in Las Vegas last weekend and the 10.5 inch gear rear end looked like a dump truck rear axle. Wish I took picture of the axle as it was much bigger than any other toyota axle I have ever seen, much bigger than any cruiser rear end.

will be a even better truck once a diesel is offered, maybe 2009 I heard though the diesel mags.

best pic of the rear end I could find online
rear.jpg
1.jpg

Jeezus.....look at the size of that thing!

The pumpkin's almost as big as the spare tire. Really impressive.

Good job Toyota.

It looks like they put an 8" in CAD, hit "enlarge 25%" LOL

Did anyone else notice the rear springs are not parrallel? Is that normal?

Its some new trend, i forget the supposed advantage to that design.

So I'm showing my GF the different configurations because I hope to purchase a new Tundra when I graduate.

I really like the Crewmax model, so I asked her what she thought. Her response, "I think it looks stupid, kinda like avalanche material minus the mattel plastic" LOL, I guess that sums it up.

Ary

So I'm showing my GF the different configurations because I hope to purchase a new Tundra when I graduate.

I really like the Crewmax model, so I asked her what she thought. Her response, "I think it looks stupid, kinda like avalanche material minus the mattel plastic" LOL, I guess that sums it up.

Ary

Is there a pussy-whipped emoticon? Damn, nope.

Ill just have to try and type out a whooo-pich :flipoff2:.

-Matt

Is there a pussy-whipped emoticon? Damn, nope.

Ill just have to try and type out a whooo-pich :flipoff2:.

-Matt

LOL! Nowhere did I state I would be basing my decision on her opinions, I just thought her comment was hilarious. Guess you had to be there.

I really do wish they would make a long-bed crewmax. The crew-max short bed has the same wheelbase as the short-bed double-cab. I don't know why they wouldn't offer it in a long bed at the same wheelbase as the long-bed double-cab.

BTW, prices are on www.toyota.com now. Anyone got $40k I can borrow? :grinpimp:

BTW, I just drove one at the Bassaroma event this past weekend. It is smooth riding like the 2001 I used to have. The event staff asked what I was doing when I came to a complete stop in the middle of the road and nailed it. I was not that impressed. I think the A-trac may have been on. It did not spin or even chirp the tires. It did have a torque vibration up to about 35 mph. The numbers look good on paper but I would like to see a trailer behind it. I will hold off untill they get a 3/4 or 1 ton version and then compare them. For a 1/2 ton truck it is built right. Also at 45 mph it kept upshifting and downshifting, I guess this was due to the 6spd tranny. It is supposed to get 16 mpg city and 20 highway with the 5.7. Those are stong numbers to post.
Overall Toyota did a good job, If you get a chance attend a Bassaroma event and ask to do the Ride and Drive in the new Tundra, but make sure to drive the 5.7 version instead of the old 4.7, they have both.

Toy Trails mag said the offset rear springs are to counteract sway when loaded or towing. It makes sense, just wonder how practical of an application it is. Time will tell.

Just a side note ..

No rear diff cap .. it means is a FF rear axle ( sure haven't c-clips ) or reatainer bearing .. ?

And is centered ! :frown:

It is a semi floating rear axle. The axles are retained at the outside ala 9", 8" toy, etc. Certainly not a full floater.

It is a semi floating rear axle. The axles are retained at the outside ala 9", 8" toy, etc. Certainly not a full floater.

damn .. I really hate this kind of axles .. I love FF or c-clips type.

Here in Panamá we have a lots of 8" Toy axles that fail at this point .. let the rig useless in the trail ( ya know .. put the axle back .. not always quite simple at it looks in the mud hole.

IMOP and in my experience my c-clip stup never fail ( at least in my Cruiser and it's really more simple tho arm, disarm with special tools .. )

Actually FF have one con and it is, if you are not in the recomended torque of all bolts in the out hub, you can break it ( the bolts ) llotins traction in this wheel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom