New to the forum with wiper fluid reservoir question. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all! I recently purchased a ‘00 LC that had spent most of its life out west in Nevada. Consequently, there is essentially zero rust on the truck anywhere - that’s great! However, because it lived in such an arid location, the former owner removed the windshield wiper fluid reservoir altogether when he upgraded the main battery for a larger one. My understanding is that Slee says you can either lower the tank or remove it to allow proper fitment of the new larger tray/battery. He opted for the latter claiming he never used the “””damn wiper fluid anyway”. Now that the truck is up here in the Northeast, I will need to find a solution rather quickly as we are entering the heart of the snow/salt season. I am hoping that someone who has done this tray/battery upgrade can let me know if I can simply purchase a new reservoir and mount it in the lowered position as Slee suggests or will I need to relocate it within the engine compartment. If I need to relocate it the obvious spot is on the left side of the compartment behind the power steering reservoir but I may add a supplementary battery down the road and that seems to be the best/most popular spot for an additional battery. Thank you in all advance for your time and consideration on this question. I look forward to being an active member of the community for many years to come!

I bought a generic coolant overflow reservoir and relocated everything under the hood on the drivers side next to battery to use a washer fluid reservoir.

20 bucks and about 10 minutes of my time.
1611716487976.jpeg

Maybe I'm forgetting something, but I had a group 31 in my upgraded Slee battery tray. I don't recall having to do anything to the wiper reservoir. I kept it installed and functional.

The Slee instructions don't seem to mention moving that reservoir to me... https://sleeoffroad.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/PUB_SOK0019_Installation_Instructions.pdf
You aren’t forgetting anything. I had a deer run in my driver side wheel well and bent everything to s***.

My reservoir never quite fit right after that and I would occasionally rub it when off-road. When I installed the ARB front bumper I went ahead and scrapped it and went the cheap easy route and moved it up under the hood.

You aren’t forgetting anything. I had a deer run in my driver side wheel well and bent everything to s***.

My reservoir never quite fit right after that and I would occasionally rub it when off-road. When I installed the ARB front bumper I went ahead and scrapped it and went the cheap easy route and moved it up under the hood.
OK, makes sense. I'm a bit perplexed by the OP's car's previous owner. Maybe they had a similar situation, but removing the reservoir seems a bit.... unreasonable?

I spent a few years living in Phoenix. I didn't use my washer fluid very often, but I would need quite a few drinks before I thought ripping that out was a good idea. People are strange.

I second what @suprarx7nut said, and will add that you can buy a used OEM reservoir for $30 from most salvage yards.

Maybe I'm forgetting something, but I had a group 31 in my upgraded Slee battery tray. I don't recall having to do anything to the wiper reservoir. I kept it installed and functional.

The Slee instructions don't seem to mention moving that reservoir to me... https://sleeoffroad.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/PUB_SOK0019_Installation_Instructions.pdf
Thank you for these Slee instructions Supra - I didn’t even think to look these up - duh. This is probably the first of many manifestations of the pitfalls associated with BOUGHT not built. No way to know the rationale of the previous owners and their build decisions. Here is the best photo of the battery from the seller and it isn’t quite wide enough to show the front of the compartment where the filler cap/tube once was. I will add a better pic tomorrow but it sounds like I may be able to just replace the tank in its original spot. As you can see there is not enough space on the outboard side of the battery for Ghost’s solution but I do appreciate the response! Stay tuned.
4C6EE249-1611-400C-815A-3ED83B90D69C.jpeg

Here is a couple of photos that better show the positioning of the new battery. I’m not sure there is enough room to reinstall the reservoir. It appears that he installed the Slee tray a little forward of others I have seen online.

2A781E90-D0FD-4B51-BC6E-F86D823E270B.jpeg

5D96E087-DCF1-48AF-B5FC-D1F15712A6D2.jpeg

For whatever reason, there were two styles of filler tubes. One was oval and one circular. One may fit better than the other. I don't know as I don't have the Slee tray.

Per above posts: I have an Odyssey Group 31 in the OEM battery location on my '99 UZJ100 and never touched the wiper fluid reservoir. I fabbed my own tray and top clamp but Slee's should be similar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom