New to Tacoma (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Sold off a 1997 LC earlier this year and have been without a vehicle (other than 1960 SII) since. Been looking for just the right deal on a LC or Tacoma. Found it. Just closed the deal on a 2004 Tacoma 4x4 SR5, auto, V6, XtraCab with 11,600 miles from new:cheers:, shell and bed-liner. Spent a few dollars but worth it. Manual windows and locks but the mileage makes up for it. Retiree doesn't need it anymore - OCD about maintenance. Looks like I will be happy for a while.
View attachment 261272

Congrats. Wow - 11,000 miles! Great find!

Congrats on the new ride. So how do you like it so far in comparison to the 80?

Your picture didn't work. I've got a 03 so pretty much the same truck as mine except you have 50 some thousand miles less than mine.

Is it the TRD version?

There is probably one recall on your truck. It's probably done but it was a problem with the front ball joints could fail prematurely. You could call the toyota dealer and they would tell you if it was done or applicable to your truck.

Last edited:
Good to know on the recall. It is not the TRD. Basic, w/manual windows and locks but the low miles sold me. Quite frankly you cannot compare the Tacoma to the LC - no comparison - they are designed for different purposes. The LC is all refinement with tons of ability. The Tacoma is all truck. Which do I like better? So far I like them equally for different reasons. They are different vehicles for different purposes. I miss my LC :crybaby:like no other but didn't want a UZJ. Don't like the looks. Couldn't find a soccer mom low mileage FZJ LC so when this Tacoma came available I jumped. If I had more room - I have a lead on a FJ62 looks rust free - to go alongside my 1960 Land Rover:grinpimp: - I have too little room and too many interests.

Also in the rain I hate my truck and love my truck. The rear end is so light, so taking off is touchy. When I put on the BFG's AT's it helped alot on puddle pulling you. Now I just cut right though them.

Have you been over at the TTORA.com chat forum? if not be aware that it's a very diffrent crown than us on the Ih8mud site.

Last edited:
Are they not as polite over there on TTORA? I am more into working on my Land Rover right now. The only plans I have for the Taco is selling off the Mirage Topper, buying a roof rack for the bed and buying a RTT. Might go w/an ARB front bumper. Eventually looking at a suspension that can handle all that. That is for the spring though. Thanks for the info I appreciate it.
And maybe trying to figure out how to install LC seats. I took a trip up Mirror Lake Highway and surprisingly the seats didn't kill my back as they had all week around town so might stick with stock - we will see.

Last edited:
Nice find! I hunted for an FZJ for a long time, too, but could not find any in decent shape and ones that were, people were asking way too much. Especially in our area. In the end, I am glad I ended up with the Tacoma, because of the MPG and cost of maintenance. Also, it is a much more practical vehicle. I also took my shell off over the summer and find it much more useful.

RE: TTORA, there is a lot of good info there, but you have to dig through about 20 times the amount of BS to get to it. A lot of immature kids over there, it seems. There are very knowledgable people here, though (FlatlandTRD and others), and I also go over to expedition portal, as they are more of a mature crowd over there, as well.

Sighthound Changed names

Consolidating - too many different forums and had a different name for each - now its the same everywhere. Thanks for the heads up on TTOra. I am on the Expedition Portal as well - some of those trucks make me sick - they are too cool. That is one of my favorites to visit. This is a great one too but this section doesn't seem to be as active as the 80's section.

No, not too active, but seems like it's picking up more and more. I do wish it had more members, though.

BTW, where do you go wheeling? I still haven't made it out to the 5 mile pass or even Farmington Canyon (Ward Canyon).

I don't "wheel" a lot in the traditional sense. I pick a place to go explore - for instance the Pony Express trail out south of Tooele and go - if I need to tackle tough terrain to get further in or take a side road I have the capability. I used to go out to Topaz Mountain a lot and to park as close as possible to the "mining" areas you had to go up a steep, rock strewn, rutted hill. That is the kind of stuff I do. I took the LC out to Moab once and that was good times. I gave up doing the really harsh stuff years ago - running them is more fun than fixing. A good friend of mine has a Polaris Ranger (that his 1997 LC tows great) and we more often than not take that as it gets you there quicker, can go more places, and is a lot better on gas. I wouldn't mind exploring the Farmington area a bit - and we took the Polaris out to 5 mile pass - pretty cool out there. We spend a lot of time on the Polaris up Tibble Fork in Utah county.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom