New to me FZJ-80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Last month me and the wife took a trip down to Austin. We had been looking for an 80 and figured we should check the local adds and see if any were for sale in the Austin. Well anyway we found a 1994 FZJ-80 that the wife really liked so she bought it. Some of you may have seen it at the Landcruiser Round Up in Texas as Shreg picked it up in Austin and drove it up there. Then I flew into DFW and drove it home after the event.

Anyways it has high miles but its rust free having spent it whole life in Texas. Grey/Blue outside with grey leather inside. Lifted with OME but he didn't know which ones and he didn't have a receipt on the lift. Anyone know how to identify the springs? The rig has a noticiable rake which I would like to get rid of. I would like it to sit level. Has air bags installed inside the coils in the rear. Had a damage maximizer on it. But that is already gone. Replaced it with an ARB bumper.

Next to go will be the BFG All Terrians. I find up here they are the BFG go no where's. Need a tire that is good in muddy fields for hunting in the fall. 4runner has MTR's but I think I am gonna try the Super Swamper TRXUS MT.

Last edited:
Congrats! Looks good.

How are the air bags valved? There have been some discussions on different ways to valve to accomplish different objectives.

Have fun!

Nice looking truck, I like the color.

When new, the springs have some tags on them, so they MIGHT still be on there if you take a look and that would help you figure it out, but if they are indeed OME, I would guess that looks like a medium (vs. Heavy) lift to me. You can level it out by adding some spacers/packers to the front springs, almost everyone on here has some spacers of one sort or another.

Manifolded togther and air valve in the drivers rear wheel opening. Not sure the bags are staying. I got a dually for hauling and towing.

I like MTRs, but have had problems getting them to balance. Nice truck. Congratulations!

M

pics with the ARB on it?

I run heavy fronts and medium rears...ARB plus winch on front, bags in the rear for those rare towing/hauling times. Sits damn near level.

KO10 - think she'll let ya? ;)

Quit taking our Austin trucks!!!

Nice rig....

The bumper looks strangly the same on mine as it did on Shregs. Plan is to mount a winch upside down in the non winch bumper. Checked em out when both were on the floor. No differance in mounting design or thickness of bumper material. The non winch one appears as if it will hold a T-Max 10,000 mounted upside down. Should be able to drill 4 holes for the mount and cut a slot for the cable. We'll see.:confused:

Going to have to look for some tags on those springs. See what I got on there.

The 80 most likely will be there. Even more likely I have to bring the buggy so I have something to drive.:D

Yeah the color is one of the things the wife really liked about it. It wasn't white or green. ;)

davegonz said:
Quit taking our Austin trucks!!!

Nice rig....

Hell I would have been more worried about your supply of Tequila judging by the amount af margarita's consumed that week end.

Mike Knorr said:
Manifolded togther and air valve in the drivers rear wheel opening. Not sure the bags are staying. I got a dually for hauling and towing.

Let me know if you want to sell them.
IIRC, manifolded together allows better articulation. Valved singly is better for towing. Not an issue for you, but I may go that route. My 89 f250 is getting long in the tooth, and I'm thinking about adding towing to the list of chores for the 80.

Check out the Firestone Destination M/T if you're thinking 285/75-16 size.

I really like that color, looks nice. Is that the Oakley symbol on the front fenders?!

Yes, that is an Oakley emblem. Bling isn't it.:rolleyes:

I am afraid to peel it not knowing how long its been on there. I will wait till summer and start fiddling with it. If it just pulls right off it will be gone.

Nah, I am thinking more like 35's on the tire size. 285's are to small. Minimum it will get 305's. I know same height as a 285 but I like the added width. Purely asthetical. But I have really been digging pics of 80's on 35's so thats probable the route I'll go.

Needs to be a mud terrain. No all terrians. This just get to gummed up with mud and go no where in a muddy field. The few miles this thing will see a year it won't be an issue. Toyo's have looked interesting. Always have liked swampers for wheeling. Goodyears have been a good tire on the 4runner. But I might have a line on some 35" BFG Mud terrians. If the price is right I probable get these.

The 4runner it is replacing had 10,000 miles put on it the entire time I owned it. Alright maybe 11,000. I think I have had the 4runner for 5 years. That has 33" MTRs and I have liked them. I thought about just swapping them over but I think I got a buyer for the runner so that rules that out.

very nice congrats!!

Thanks for the compliments.

Just got the FSM the other day. When I get back to Moab I am going to have to dig into some of the maintance things that need attention.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom