New to me 99LC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So 2 weeks ago I picked up a 1 owner California '99LC with 153K. Super clean inside and out, no rust underneath.

Pulled the running boards off last weekend. I've been crawling through it checking all the important stuff. No major leaks anywhere. Dripping a little oil that I think is due to needing passenger side head gasket. Also leaking coolant somewhere. Had to top off the reservoir twice since I got it, but can't find anywhere obvious.

I noticed tonight it seems to have had the blue fan clutch mod done. Which I thought was mostly an 80 series thing?

I'm also pretty sure hoses have been replaced. They're pretty supple and not hardened anywhere.

I think all the major maintenance, including heater tees, has been done. I pulled the engine cover off and each cylinder has been numbered in sharpie on the intake manifold as well i'm guessing for plugs and wires replaced.

I was going to hold off getting new tires since the ones on it are Michelin LTX M/S with plenty of tread left. Until I dropped the spare to check air pressure...

Looks like I'll be stepping up to some KO2's sooner than planned.

1285514337.jpg

Awesome! Your going to love it, I’m a proud original owner of a 99 with 311k miles! Your barely broken in, just keep up with all the maintenance and she’ll be good to you....

That looks super clean, what a find! I got two '99s, one with 135K that looks closer to yours, one with 200K that most decisively does not! :)

Love it...oh the spare is bad...better get all new! :rofl: I'd do the same. Nice clean rig. Congrats.

Maybe you don’t care, but you should know that the KO2 tires are a harsh ride. Obviously made for performance off road but if you’re like me and put 99.99% of your miles on roads, it gets old. In hindsight I should have gone with a nice comfortable Michelin set.

Looks very clean - nice rig!

Maybe you don’t care, but you should know that the KO2 tires are a harsh ride. Obviously made for performance off road but if you’re like me and put 99.99% of your miles on roads, it gets old. In hindsight I should have gone with a nice comfortable Michelin set.

Do many people feel that KO2’s are “harsh?” I don’t feel like they are any worse of a ride on my 100 LX than my 200 LX that still has Michelin road tires.... maybe I’m not picky and just don’t feel it?

Do many people feel that KO2’s are “harsh?” I don’t feel like they are any worse of a ride on my 100 LX than my 200 LX that still has Michelin road tires.... maybe I’m not picky and just don’t feel it?

depends on where you drive as well, my E rated 33" are nice and comfy in manicured roads, but get to the roads with cracks and lots of imperfections and you feel it all. I air down to 30 PSI to counteract that, but should have gone D rated for extra comfort and where 33" is still available.

I have two sets of the same stock 16” wheels. One set with brand new Michelin LTX street tires and the other with 285/75 KO2s..... the Michelin’s are definitely smoother but the KO2s are nowhere near “harsh”. It’s like a 10% decrease in ride quality and noise IF that. I don’t know what that guy is talking about. His post makes it sound like you’re putting 40” mud tires on your car.

I have two sets of the same stock 16” wheels. One set with brand new Michelin LTX street tires and the other with 285/75 KO2s..... the Michelin’s are definitely smoother but the KO2s are nowhere near “harsh”. It’s like a 10% decrease in ride quality and noise IF that. I don’t know what that guy is talking about. His post makes it sound like you’re putting 40” mud tires on your car.

I was a little surprised by that comment as well. Everything I've read about the KO2s is they are quiet, smooth and hold up well.

depends on where you drive as well, my E rated 33" are nice and comfy in manicured roads, but get to the roads with cracks and lots of imperfections and you feel it all. I air down to 30 PSI to counteract that, but should have gone D rated for extra comfort and where 33" is still available.
My area does have top notch roads so maybe that’s the reason I feel like my tires are so smooth.

This is absolutely NOT my experience. I have KO2s (285/75/16) and they ride great. Smooth and quiet... Maybe shocks/springs are the issue.

I think the KO and KO2's ride very smoothly, even as E rated tires. I have sliders and a rear bumper so perhaps my extra weight helps. Suspension springs and shocks will make a much larger difference in ride quality compared to tires, IMO.

My winter D rated tires are far noisier and squishy than my summer KO2s (e rated).

I'm a huge fan of the KO2 for all types of driving. If a rig was 100% highway, then I'd stick with a Michelin LTX, but otherwise KO2 all the way for me.

Last edited:
Who ever said anything about noise? lol make your stories up for yourselves if you want. Harsh is a descriptor for a physical feeling when driving, not noise. I have new oem shocks, which I installed soon after getting the K02s because I figured my problem is the old shocks. Didn't change a thing. I'm not the kind of guy who drives with nothing in the car. I have tools and stuff in the trunk. And they make noise constantly, driving on regular pavement. If you guys are saying that your Michelins are not significantly smoother to ride on than these K02s, then Michelin should go into a different business.

Thanks

I think the KO and KO2's ride very smoothly, even as E rated tires. I have sliders and a rear bumper so perhaps my extra weight helps. Suspension springs and shocks will make a much larger difference in ride quality compared to tires, IMO.

My winter D rated tires are far noisier and squishy than my summer KO2s (e rated).

I'm a huge fan of the KO2 for all types of driving. If a rig was 100% highway, then I'd stick with a Michelin LTX, but otherwise KO2 all the way for me.
Maybe our extra weight helps. But I don't drive weightless either. Plenty of tools and other stuff in the back that should weigh it down. New shocks. My only comparison is an LX with a working AHC suspension and regular Kumho road tires. It's like floating around on a cruise liner on a calm day compared to the land cruiser with K02s

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom