New to me 460 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Picked up a 2013 460 Premium today, 140k miles. Impeccable service history, it's almost too nice. No immediate plans (wll the X is missing from the rear badging, it will drive me nuts), but will do some off roading and decide what it needs as I do. I have a 1977 Scout II that is really for this purpose but I need to put some work into it finally and needed something to tide me over while I do. I prefer to see stock performance before investing.

One paltry garage photo is all I have, as we immediately headed for the hills after bringing it home.

PXL_20230311_000427163 (1).jpg

Getting a lot of snow in the mountains today, used to driving our 2003 Highlander in this stuff so it was a good test to see the handling on the tires it came with (Michelin Defender). It's definitely heavier than the Highlander so accounting for the weight on steep hills with it being pretty slippery out. No surprise it's just fine. Good crash course this weekend getting to know the new ride and getting comfortable with it.

The GX can go anywhere short of highly technical s*** in Moab in stock form. It's a fantastic off-roader.

The GX can go anywhere short of highly technical s*** in Moab. It's a fantastic off-roader.
This is exactly why we went this route. Been watching and researching for about a year (both 470 and 460). Even with my Scout I always get "when are you going to lift it?" Here in Colorado I have been happy with the terrain the Scout conquered stock, no winching or getting stuck. Some of those locations I may not take the 460 to, but the others I can't imagine it will have a problem. Though I suspect these running boards will need to go one way or another.

This is exactly why we went this route. Been watching and researching for about a year (both 470 and 460). Even with my Scout I always get "when are you going to lift it?" Here in Colorado I have been happy with the terrain the Scout conquered stock, no winching or getting stuck. Some of those locations I may not take the 460 to, but the others I can't imagine it will have a problem. Though I suspect these running boards will need to go one way or another.
I ditched the running boards completely but now I want to put them back on and just trim them like others do. One of the best things I did right away was ditch the factory 18" wheels and tires and get some 265/70/17's on there. Ride quality improved and the offroad performance really improved. Tires are Nitto Ridge Grapplers. I've got almost 30k miles on them and I swear they look almost new.

Congrats on your new purchase!
Agreed with Mr.Torgue regarding capability. If you still want to keep it close to that factory look and comfort but improve off road performance, a few suggestions:
  1. Add rock sliders that are similar to the factory side steps. There's several companies that make them like Slee Offroad. Most folks will never notice they're not stock.
  2. Add skids to then entire bottom.
  3. Trim up both the front and rear bumpers a wee bit for better approach and departure angles. (The one true bane of the GX's.)
  4. Go down a size in rim diameter and up a couple sizes in tire diameter.
  5. Maybe somewhere down the line, add M/T (multi-terrain) and CC (crawl control). Easy plug and play additions.
Without dumping a ton a your kids college tuition into it, you'll have a great trail rig!

Congrats on your new purchase!
Agreed with Mr.Torgue regarding capability. If you still want to keep it close to that factory look and comfort but improve off road performance, a few suggestions:
  1. Add rock sliders that are similar to the factory side steps. There's several companies that make them like Slee Offroad. Most folks will never notice they're not stock.
  2. Add skids to then entire bottom.
  3. Trim up both the front and rear bumpers a wee bit for better approach and departure angles. (The one true bane of the GX's.)
  4. Go down a size in rim diameter and up a couple sizes in tire diameter.
  5. Maybe somewhere down the line, add M/T (multi-terrain) and CC (crawl control). Easy plug and play additions.
Without dumping a ton a your kids college tuition into it, you'll have a great trail rig!
Thank you for the input! Good news, our kids tend to have 4 legs (a whole different kind of cost)! I did spend a lot of time researching these, the LX/LC were just too big, the 4Runners I just plain don't like. I know I need to keep a side step for my wife and I have been researching the rock slider options with KDSS clearance. I accepted the approach/departure angle challenges as just that. :)

The skid options are compelling, I like the offerings out there. I don't want PITA oil changes so that's important. Also cognizant of added weight, looking around for folks running aluminum over steel and have had impacts (how did the aluminum hold up, did it do the job). My expectation is this, for now, will spend most of it's time on road and little time off road.

I just started looking into the M/T CC stuff.

Right now my biggest dilemma is how the cupholder cover failed me after I bought it. LOL. Worked fine testing the truck and then on Saturday it wouldn't open! BUYER BEWARE! (i kid...sort of).

Passed emissions today, need some new floor mats and to extract the DVD I got stuck in one of the headrest DVD players last night. Otherwise any back seat occupants will forever be watching Better Off Dead (I wouldn't mind that at all).

Not that it has much relevance, but I'm certain I am on borrowed time, there is no guarantee so we are trying to make sure we can do the things we want to do. I feel like the GX platform allows us to do what we want to do where I don't have to be constantly wrenching.

Y'all are a wealth of knowledge and experience so I appreciate everything that has been identified and tried out before me!

Thank you for the input! Good news, our kids tend to have 4 legs (a whole different kind of cost)! I did spend a lot of time researching these, the LX/LC were just too big, the 4Runners I just plain don't like. I know I need to keep a side step for my wife and I have been researching the rock slider options with KDSS clearance. I accepted the approach/departure angle challenges as just that. :)

The skid options are compelling, I like the offerings out there. I don't want PITA oil changes so that's important. Also cognizant of added weight, looking around for folks running aluminum over steel and have had impacts (how did the aluminum hold up, did it do the job). My expectation is this, for now, will spend most of it's time on road and little time off road.

I just started looking into the M/T CC stuff.

Right now my biggest dilemma is how the cupholder cover failed me after I bought it. LOL. Worked fine testing the truck and then on Saturday it wouldn't open! BUYER BEWARE! (i kid...sort of).

Passed emissions today, need some new floor mats and to extract the DVD I got stuck in one of the headrest DVD players last night. Otherwise any back seat occupants will forever be watching Better Off Dead (I wouldn't mind that at all).

Not that it has much relevance, but I'm certain I am on borrowed time, there is no guarantee so we are trying to make sure we can do the things we want to do. I feel like the GX platform allows us to do what we want to do where I don't have to be constantly wrenching.

Y'all are a wealth of knowledge and experience so I appreciate everything that has been identified and tried out before me!
I have the aluminum sliders and so far have been great. But I don't do rock crawling and am careful when wheeling. I have banged them but so far they've held up great!
On my build thread, I have a list of my components, starting at Post #4: Builds - R²M 2013 GX 460 Overland Build - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/r-m-2013-gx-460-overland-build.1104719/

I kept my factory wheels to run during the winter because of how much snow and ice we have in Iowa and put a set of skinny mud terrains on factory steel wheels so I could get the maximum diameter.

I kept my factory wheels to run during the winter because of how much snow and ice we have in Iowa and put a set of skinny mud terrains on factory steel wheels so I could get the maximum diameter.
That's a great system to run if one has the space to keep extra tires! Are the factory wheels shod with studded or just really good snow/ice tires?
What did you do about TPMS? Or you just deal with the light on when running the set without TPMS sensors.

That's a great system to run if one has the space to keep extra tires! Are the factory wheels shod with studded or just really good snow/ice tires?
What did you do about TPMS? Or you just deal with the light on when running the set without TPMS sensors.
The TPMS sensors are in the winter tires, I don't run them on the pizza cutters as you can tell by looking and how they ride immediately if something is wrong.

Right now they just have the tires that came with them, yoko all seasons,depending on where we end up moving they will
Get either a blizzak, hakipiletta or Dueler Revos

Reactions: r2m
My partner had breast cancer in 2020/1. ❤️

My partner had breast cancer in 2020/1. ❤️
I hope all is well now, the pandemic was a very hard time to go through treatment. 🫶 The 460 is an opportunity for us get out and do more since busy airports and crowds are still a no go for me. On and off road trips will be a big deal for us this year (and hopefully beyond). My wife would have usually been mad about a purchase like this (see the silver rocket in the garage...that was a fun conversation). I owe the world to her.

I hope all is well now, the pandemic was a very hard time to go through treatment. 🫶 The 460 is an opportunity for us get out and do more since busy airports and crowds are still a no go for me. On and off road trips will be a big deal for us this year (and hopefully beyond). My wife would have usually been mad about a purchase like this (see the silver rocket in the garage...that was a fun conversation). I owe the world to her.
It is, thanks for asking. That's what we did. We both had wranglers and we explored all the little nooks and crannies

Ordered and received some items from Ohana Rig Supply.

Stealth Panel (waiting to install)

Bug Barrier (waiting to install)

Tailgate Drop Down Table (installed)

Pictures of the table installed are attached. It was a little hard to get the pins secured into the door. It requires you to pop the rear door panel along the bottom and about halfway up for the plastic piece. I used a waded up towel to help keep the panel away from the door so I could get my arm and hand up high enough to hold the nut in place and thread it onto the pins. Wear a long sleeve shirt, there are sharp plastic edges in there. Some minor adjustments for the pins to get it as flush as possible. I was initially a little irked because the screws holding the table to the hinges were loose, but then I realized I needed a little wiggle room for the fitment and tightened them up once it was good. Not really. a hard install, other than those pins. If you have short arms, find someone with long skinny arms to help. :)

EDIT: Someone asked on the GXOR page about the space between the hinges. The narrowest space between the table hinges is ~20 inches.

PXL_20230804_141801755.jpg

PXL_20230804_141808778.jpg

PXL_20230804_141827970.jpg

PXL_20230804_141839256.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom