New to MD - bringing the 40! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

RWBeringer4x4

Mechanically Challenged
SILVER Star
Threads
What's up everyone. I've been over in the main IH8MUD boards for a little over a year now, working on getting my 1975 FJ40/283SBC Conversion (dubbed Clustertruck) up and running. I'd mostly been over in the PA/Appalachian cruiser club because I was in Northern DE. That has all changed, since the :princess: and I recently relocated to North East, MD.

We will be renting for a couple years. Unfortunately, the place we are renting doesn't have a garage. The 40 is still garaged in DE, but will most likely be moving to my friends' place in Chesapeake City toward the end of November.

So, if there are any of you in the Northern MD area, I'll be around, should you ever need help on a rig, or want to meet up for beers. I might also be posting here looking for parts.

Here is my thread with all the gory details of what I have been dealing with:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-seri...ck-rides-again-refurbishing-1975-chevota.html

I'm going to attempt to drive it the 40 miles to its new garage, which will be its longest trip in the 1+ year I've owned it. Fingers crossed, it'll make it!

Clustertruck 2.jpg

Clustertruck.jpg

Thanks for the invite! It looks awesome, but I've got a lot of issues to work out before this thing is trail-ready...I'm worried it won't make it the 40 miles to the new garage, let alone 3 hours to Virginia.

Suspension has to be redone (very bent shackle up front, PO must have hit a boulder) and the clutch is on its way out. The plan is to go ditch the lakewood bellhousing and go to an AA setup. I'd also like to track down an FJ60 or mini truck front axle and get disk brakes bigger knuckles, and fine splines. Still running the stock course spline, small pattern, drum brakes original to the 75.

SOMEDAY this thing will go offroad. Right now, it mostly just picks up the parts necessary to fix itself from the local shops.

Welcome to the area!
And I just happen to have a pair of FJ62 axles under my parts rig... Im not in a hurry to pull them, so they'll probably be here when you get around to the swap.

Welcome to the area!
And I just happen to have a pair of FJ62 axles under my parts rig... Im not in a hurry to pull them, so they'll probably be here when you get around to the swap.

That is what I like to hear! If the clutch wasn't so rough, this would be my next project, but I have a feeling the throw-out-bearing is not long for this world. AA makes some good stuff but damn if it isn't expensive! The clutch overhaul will be the last (financial) big expense before this thing is semi reliable - trans will be getting resealed at the same time. After that, it's just cosmetic stuff, and nickel-and-diming to infinity.

I'll have to check the calendar for October - I work in marketing and this is one of my busier travel seasons but hopefully I'm free that weekend - might take one of you up on the ride!

There're usually lots of seats, we have a lot of 60/62, 80 and few 4Runners in the group, plus a few 40s to keep things classy:grinpimp:

There're usually lots of seats, we have a lot of 60/62, 80 and few 4Runners in the group, plus a few 40s to keep things classy:grinpimp:

Anybody in Northern MD/Baltimore area? Seems like most of you guys are in Virginia and South/West MD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom