New to MA... soon (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all,
My name is Brian and i am about to move up to massachusetts at the end of August from South Carolina. I had a couple questions about the vehicle inspection procedure in MA. I heard that the inspection process can be pretty intense up there and I want to try to do as much work before i get there so I do not have any surprises. I am going back to school, so i will not have a good place to work on my car. I have a 95 fj80 with Jsprings in the front and heavys in the rear, and 305/70 r16 nitto TG AT tires. My understanding is that cars 1995 or older do not need to go through the actual emissions test, but i am a little concerned about the part that says there is a max vehicle alterred height of +/-2 in from stock. Is there some way around that or an exemption for a car like min?. Also, does this include tire height or just suspension? I appreciate any information that you can send on these questions or any other helpful hints you can give me. We do not have any inspections here in south carolina, so i am new to the whole procedure.

My understanding is that cars 1995 or older do not need to go through the actual emissions test.

This wasn't they case when I was living in Mass. 95 shoud have been OBDII. If you don't have a check engine light on you should be fine. They will just plug into the OBDII port to run the test.

On a side note RI ran the test on my 77 FJ45. Stuck the probe in my exhaust and ran the truck at different RPMs for 5 minutes blowing smoke out the tail pipe. Told me it failed emmissions but printed my sticker anyway. Mass is more strick than RI.

i am a little concerned about the part that says there is a max vehicle alterred height of +/-2 in from stock.

They are supposed to use a calculation "Maximum Lift = (Wheelbase x Wheel Track)/2200" I think and don't quote me by this you can go up in tire size equal to this amount of lift. On an 80 its probably about 3"

Is there some way around that or an exemption for a car like min?

Not as far as I know.

If you are not legal an a cop wants to bust your balls he probably will. Post a pic of your rig and we can give you an idea if you are going to have a problem. There are a lot of guys on here past the lift height that don't get harassed but you might need to get creative finding an inspection station.

Last edited:
Plenty of built 80s up here. Size shouldn't be a problem. I have OME heavies w/ 315s on my FJC and just had it inspected at the dealer with no issues (NH).

On our Yankeetoys site there is a document about MA lift heights. That will be your biggest obstacle here in MA I would think. The OBDII thing is simple if you are not throwing codes. Thats if they even can find the port to plug into....past 2 years on my 95 they couldn't find it...doh! They even asked me if I knew....lol...funny, my memory just wasn't too good that day....They just passed it.

here is a link:

Yankee Toys

Its down a little ways, but its there.

Certain places are more lenient than others. let us know where you're living exactly and maybe we can recommend a place to get the inspection done

Thanks guys yeah i know i have a code for the egr valve, but i plan on getting that fixed before heading up. Ill be moving to south hamilton, ma.

I dont have a pic on this computer... We are in the process of setting up for a yard sale so our house is a disaster. I will try to get a pic of my truck up soon.

Hey Brian! Didn't know you were leaving us!

Good luck in school.

Hey Brian!
We met a few times in Clemson back when you had the 62. Funny you'll be heading up north into my neck of the woods. 'Course, I haven't been in the states much over the last year... Anyway, definitely get involved with YT when you get up there, they're a good bunch! Maybe I'll see you at an even one of these days. Good luck with the move!

- gehn

Hey Brian! Didn't know you were leaving us!

Good luck in school.

X2, I'm at a meeting in Woosta (Worcester) right now. Don't forget Landtank is up here.

While your truck is an OBDII system it is technically before the mandated date for that and doesn't fall into "no cel, no problem" category. You will have to pass emissions every other year based on your registration month of something like that.

The lift and tire combination shouldn't be a problem as long as it was done with some lack of red neck. I had a guy crawl under mine and then ask a few proper questions and then pass me. But not all stations are that responsible.

How long in Worcester John? I'm about 45 minutes away.

Well, I can only speak from my experience. Mine is a 95 and has not been emission tested before. They've always looked for the OBDII plug....

While your truck is an OBDII system it is technically before the mandated date for that and doesn't fall into "no cel, no problem" category. You will have to pass emissions every other year based on your registration month of something like that.

The lift and tire combination shouldn't be a problem as long as it was done with some lack of red neck. I had a guy crawl under mine and then ask a few proper questions and then pass me. But not all stations are that responsible.

How long in Worcester John? I'm about 45 minutes away.

I'm pretty sure they did away with the every other year and just went right to every year.

Well, I can only speak from my experience. Mine is a 95 and has not been emission tested before. They've always looked for the OBDII plug....

Good thing it isn't that easy to find in the 80.

But according to the official MA inspection website, MY1995 and older vehicles will be exempt from emissions and only check for black/blue smoke.

Vehicles made in model years 1995 and older no longer receive a tailpipe emissions test, but are checked for visible smoke during their safety inspection.

Massachusetts Vehicle Check

yeah i read that on the MA website (the part about only looking for smoke 95 or older). What about brakes? are they super critical about brakes? do they actually drive it? im just curious bc i think mine are ok but i am not sure how old they are or how they compare to new ones. I dont really push my truck. i just drive it nice and slow.

They won't pull the wheels or drive it to ck your brakes.
They will try your ebrake tho. It needs to hold.
On an older vehicle they may ck your TRE's, ball joints, etc.

do they care about minor oil leaks?

All light have to work no cracks in the housings showing light though them.

Check front end for excessive play.

Fluid leaks wont fail unless there is a substantial puddle under it will inspecting.

If its a 95 it wont need emissions. 96+ OBD2 only. My tacoma is a 95 with obd2 but it doesnt need emissions.

They wont check brakes just the e-brake. If the brakes are grinding and about to fall apart it could fail.

If everything is in good working order you dont have to worry about anything.

thanks for the info. sorry if i ask a ton of questions, but like most cruisers i know, mine is a work in progress and when i talk to people down here in the land of no vehicle inspections they tell me how bad it is (especially how tough mass is). I figured i might as well get some info from the people up there. I definitely feel like i have a better idea about what to expect now. I appreciate everyones input and look forward to possibly meeting some of you once we get settled in up there. People in the cruiser community down here tell me very positive things about Yankee Toys.

With the exception of donks (which should be inspected), I can honestly say the cars on the road here don't look any crappier than the stuff I used to see driving up north.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom