New to group (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Good afternoon - I just bought an 88 FJ - sold a 2001 FJ so I could buy it. I'm new to the older ones, and frankly, a little nervous everywhere I go. I just drove it cross country - had very few problems: 1) AT Oil temp light (checked oil, looked/smelled fine, but had to pull over every couple of hours and let it sit) 2) Some sputtering in the lower gears, especially going uphill - this is probably because I'm used to driving a newer LC? I gunned it pretty hard.

My question is this - I don't know much about the history of this FJ - but I know that 99.9% of it is stock. Where do I start? What are the immediate things I need to have looked at?
JC
img074.jpg

Buy a FSM- change all fluids and give it a good tuneup. Then start chasing the little things.

Depends on how much you want to spend and if you are doing it yourself or taking it to someone. Sounds like you are planning on taking it to someone. With no history I'd tell them to look over the whole vehicle. Check the engine for leaks, condition of the motor oil, do a compression or leakdown test, check the brakes, check the bearings, check the ujoints, check the spark plugs for engine condition. As good measure I'd probably change all fluids, engine, transmission, t.case, diffs, maybe even coolant, and repack the front wheel bearings. A lot of this stuff can be done by you and it will give you an opportunity to get to know your rig better and see what things look like. If you find problems do a couple of searches on the forum and post some questions. Welcome to the classics!

- had very few problems: 1) AT Oil temp light (checked oil, looked/smelled fine, but had to pull over every couple of hours and let it sit)

A aux trans oil cooler couldn't hurt especially if you're hauling a heavy load, going up a lot of hills, towing......

Be sure and check 60 tech often lots of great ideas for you to save big bucks and have fun(sic?):clap: working on your FJ. Welcome to the addiction, just wait all the builds are awesome, your going to want to add, add,add, add, help me I need to order more parts:bang::bang::bang:

Well first off you need to buy a OME Heavy suspension, then an ARB Winch bumper w/ a Warn 12K winch, then you need to get an ARB roof-rack, can't forget the 35in BFG M/T's, then you need a swingout tire carrying rear bumper, sliders, and trim the rear quarter panels. That's just the start! Then you need to swap to a V8.....bla bla bla.

Just kidding man, Welcome! Anything and everything about cruisers is on this site all you have to do to find it is search. It looks like you got a mighty nice cruiser there too. Good luck!

I would suggest checking the condition of the front knuckles thats a big problem with late cruisers.

This is all really good info. My inclination is to keep everything as close to stock as possible - with the exception of maybe some roof racks.

Here's a question for you: Has anyone been able to find a 3 point over the shoulder seat belt for the back seat? My wife won't let my 5 year-old go with out a car seat (neither will the law apparently). Amazing how we were ok growing up with just lap belts!

JC

Your FJ62 should have come with Retractable shoulder belts for the rear seat occupants.

Here's a question for you: Has anyone been able to find a 3 point over the shoulder seat belt for the back seat? My wife won't let my 5 year-old go with out a car seat (neither will the law apparently). Amazing how we were ok growing up with just lap belts!

JC

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom