New Stereo Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi, just a quick question. I’ve just fitted a stereo and its asking me if I want 2 way or 3 way crossover.
The speakers are the original ones. Which setting do I pick?
Thanks

No replies - I'll take a crack. If you're using the stock Toyota speakers it doesn't really matter what you pick. The speakers are basic single cone - similar to what might be considered a "mid range". Unless you have plans to install tweeters, and a subwoofer the crossover functionality isn't really going to come into play with the stock speakers.

No replies - I'll take a crack. If you're using the stock Toyota speakers it doesn't really matter what you pick. The speakers are basic single cone - similar to what might be considered a "mid range". Unless you have plans to install tweeters, and a subwoofer the crossover functionality isn't really going to come into play with the stock speakers.
Somewhat correct, crossover will always play into just about any speaker that you get unless it states that it is specifically a tweeter, subwoofer, etc. For 99% of the speakers that go into cars they are 2-way crossover which means that they accept both the tweeters frequencies and the mid-woofer frequencies, thus allowing you to get the highs and still have some bass.

Quick answer, always set to 2-way unless you know for certain your know that your speakers are 3-way (or like @FJACS said and you have a dedicated sub).
This is what your standard 3-WAY looks like, notice the raised tweeter in the middle.
g575R165X3-o_topnogrille.jpg

This is your standard 2-way, which does not have that tweeter and is your Standard, everyday speaker that is just a paper cone.
g575R14X2-o_angle.jpg

Now you can have a 3-Way setup with a 2-way crossover, you just wont get the same kind of sound out of it, and same vice versa.

What stereo is it? Those setting are usually if you are amplifying separates. (Typically running tweeters and woofers/mids that are not part of the same speaker.) Look up bi-amplify for car audio and may help explain. If you are powering the speakers off the deck, those setting probably won’t have any control over your speakers unless the stereo has more than 4 powered outputs to run speakers. Those settings will most likely control the pre amp outputs that are used to push the signal to amplifiers.

All a crossover does is tells what part of the audio signal goes where. You have passive crossovers and active crossovers. Passive use resistors and capacitors and other components to set the “crossover” points that determine what frequencies go to what drivers.
Active crossovers do it with circuits and typically have much higher degrees of customization.
2 way crossover is high and lows and you can set the point where those frequencies active crossovers.
3 way crossovers have Highs to tweeters, mids to mid range drivers and lower frequencies to woofers/subwoofers.
There are 4 way crossovers that really narrow what frequencies to go what very specialized drivers.

2 and 3 way speakers usually have their own passive crossover built in to them and they are designed to accept the full range of audio and they determine themselves what frequencies go to what drivers within their own array. The speakers pictured above are that style. They take the full range output from your decks speaker outputs.

The material the speaker is made out of has nothing to do what if the are 2way, 3 way, whizzer cones etc....

If you can control the low pass filter with your deck, you can stop your factory speakers from getting the lower frequencies and they won’t distort as much. You will get much better sound if you replace those factory speakers with and updated after market speakers.

My 85 takes 5.25” speaker and need to be pretty shallow. I am looking at putting some Polk Audio DB522 in my does pretty soon. The PO put some 6.5” that don’t sit flush and rattle.

My 85 takes 5.25” speaker and need to be pretty shallow. I am looking at putting some Polk Audio DB522 in my does pretty soon. The PO put some 6.5” that don’t sit flush and rattle.
I installed these in my '86 FJ60, they fit behind the OEM grilles in the front door:

Pioneer TS-G1345R

If you're only running one wire to the speaker it makes no difference; all a crossover does is cut out unwanted frequencies so that you don't have lows going to tweeters, highs going to subs, etc.

I am currently modifying the door cards (making new ones that aren't dry rotted) and decided 6 1/2 would do nicely. I am using a component system. The magnet clears the window because of the ring I made from plywood. The tweeters will go up a little higher for better clarity.

IMG_7456.JPG

IMG_7457.JPG

IMG_7460.JPG

^^make sure you have enough room behind the door card for that woofer to extend. I usually make those spacers out of plastic cutting boards and they are pretty cheap at a resturaunt supply store and easy to put screws into without cracking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom