Retro Sound Stereo in FJ60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My wife gave me a Retro Sound stereo for my birthday (pic below). It looks like it’s meant for a ‘72-78 FJ-40, but I have an ‘83 FJ-60. Anyone have any experience putting one in an FJ-60? If so, how’s it go? Any pics?

IMG_4596.jpeg

I cant see that fitting easily into an FJ60 without modifications.
There's this guy Ive heard good things about who sells 80's style radios here

also if you need a bolt on radio bracket for a single DIN radio i sell them here

Wow, that’s awesome! I blew my radio up a while back and that thing is perfect. It’s exactly what I’ve been looking for!

also if you need a bolt on radio bracket for a single DIN radio i sell them here
I had just bought one of the radios yesterday and ordered your bracket last night. I'll let you know how I like the radio once I get it in. I'm going to put a Sony XMS400d mini amplifier (Sony XMS400D - https://www.crutchfield.com/p_158XMS400D/Sony-XMS400D.html) behind it to get a little more life out of the speakers.

There was a thread about that radio recently on Facebook I think. The consensus is that it's the same radio that's all over ebay for $20. The reviews weren't great, if I remember correctly.

There was a thread about that radio recently on Facebook I think. The consensus is that it's the same radio that's all over ebay for $20. The reviews weren't great, if I remember correctly.
Wow, I’m really glad I didn’t buy that last night. I almost pulled the trigger, but I’m on the fence about installing a floating screen for a backup camera and CarPlay. I think I’ll take the practical modern approach now that you mention this.

Dang I was unaware of that. Good catch

Exactly. It’s junk. I put one in my bj74 and it’s junk. Couldn’t see the screen unless at night, terrible reception and low power. Found out the above after searching model number.
It’s $20 eBay junk. Now sure the guy did “some” hacks to paint it black then tune out all the effects flashy on the screen, but it’s junk.

For $20 I could live with it.

The blaupunkt would be period correct and almost the way I went. Pricey.

Amazon product ASIN B07XVMBKW4
Looks great.

In the end I put my double alpine/CarPlay from another vehicle and it’s nice to have apps/map/speedometer etc.

Someone needs to gut some 60 and 62 OEM radio housings to work with modern electronics and still have functional buttons 😂

That one's over my head though.

Another option to consider is this Continental head unit. I have it in my 911SC and it is a great unit for the $$. Planning to put one in my FJ60 this winter also.

EDIT: here is a photo installed in my 911. Not the best shot of it, but it looks period correct for 80's cars.

DSC_0031.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom