New Rumor: 300 LC Will Be Stripped Down Utility Wagon (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
More rumors today of the 300 LC returning to its utilitarian roots.

Toyota Land Cruiser / Lexus LX
Toyota will reportedly differentiate the two currently-nearly-identical models for the next generation. The leak describes the LX as “insane,” with a focus on luxury and performance, a choice between a a twin-turbo V6 hybrid and a twin-turbo V8, and a mission to compete with the Bentley Bentayga.

The 300-Series Land Cruiser, on the other hand, will reportedly lose its luxury focus and return to its roots as a stripped-out off-roader.

Old information, basically clickbait automotive news has been rehashing this one for a few months now. This one has been popping up about every week from whatever the automotive news flavor of the day happens to be. I wish something more substantive would surface.

Old information, basically clickbait automotive news has been rehashing this one for a few months now. This one has been popping up about every week from whatever the automotive news flavor of the day happens to be. I wish something more substantive would surface.

I now see the IG post that today’s article references is from March.

Yes, substantive new information would be nice. Nicer would be a NATO spec 300 for the masses.

I heard the cabin filters stop the Covid...

Careful what you wish for. A "new" low-end LC would probably be a US-built wagon-body variant of the Tundra, or Taco. Auto makers have a long history of recycling legendary vehicle names on crap vehicles to generate cash. My former boss used to say "car companies don't make cars, they make money".

Let’s just let all the fûckheads with badass unobtainium LandCruisers into the US and we will fight them for pink slips! Seems doable, and the only way.. :meh: 🤷‍♂️

Careful what you wish for. A "new" low-end LC would probably be a US-built wagon-body variant of the Tundra, or Taco. Auto makers have a long history of recycling legendary vehicle names on crap vehicles to generate cash. My former boss used to say "car companies don't make cars, they make money".

There's that, and then there's the Land Cruiser badge.

Isn’t that a sequoia ?
Look at all the variants of the same SUV GM puts out. The Cadillac looks very different from the Chevy, but is the same vehicle underneath, both very profitable. Toyota did the same with the 4R/GX/FJ, very different look, somewhat different suspension.

The revived Honda Passport is just a bobbed Pilot, with better off-road suspension tune. And it is selling well.

In Australia, I love the 4-door tray-back Land Cruisers I see all over. I think the closest thing we have to that Land Cruiser is a Tundra SR5 Crew Cab with short bed. I'm going to have to test drive one. Better specs in every way, if it rolls down the highway nice, I may pull the trigger over the same price for a bloated LC with 100k. Dunno about a tray-back, that would be so cool, but hard to really justify. Tan, blackout, cloth seats, load up with some goodies, bullbar, hmm... Need to explore the used market first I guess.
1591118607304.png

One thing that is killing me is how much value the Land Cruiser loses every year. MSRP on a new LC is $85k. I'm looking for a 2016, they are selling for $45k, that is $40k lost in 4 years. Then I'm looking at 2011, $25k, another $20k lost in 5 years. The annual loss in value on a LC, eclipses all other costs of ownership. I make relatively good money, but dang.

One thing that is killing me is how much value the Land Cruiser loses every year. MSRP on a new LC is $85k. I'm looking for a 2016, they are selling for $45k, that is $40k lost in 4 years. Then I'm looking at 2011, $25k, another $20k lost in 5 years. The annual loss in value on a LC, eclipses all other costs of ownership. I make relatively good money, but dang.
You should ask about resale in the 200 forum.

they quote resale as one of the best things about a LC

:confused:

You should ask about resale in the 200 forum.

:confused:
The Land Cruiser used to hold value more than any other vehicle in the world. I'm not sure when that ended, think it was true of the 80. Might well still be true in countries that sell a "real" Land Cruiser.

I'm seeing 4-yr-old SR5 4x4 Tundras for around $30k, they lost barely any value in 4 years?? They are luxurious and utilitarian, kind of expensive, but not absurdly Land Cruiser expensive. The 80 was absurdly expensive, but held value well. The Tundra seems to hold more to classic Land Cruiser values than the current Land Cruiser.

The Land Cruiser used to hold value more than any other vehicle in the world. I'm not sure when that ended, think it was true of the 80. Might well still be true in countries that sell a "real" Land Cruiser.

I'm seeing 4-yr-old SR5 4x4 Tundras for around $30k, they lost barely any value in 4 years?? They are luxurious and utilitarian, kind of expensive, but not absurdly Land Cruiser expensive. The 80 was absurdly expensive, but held value well. The Tundra seems to hold more to classic Land Cruiser values than the current Land Cruiser.

When we were shopping for Tundra's we opted to buy new because the used ones were only slightly less money. Ended up buying a 2018 optioned much like you want and we love it.

Yawn.

Keep on drivin' , nothin' to see here.

Where are you seeing 2016s for $45k, that’s what I see 2015s going for near me? 2016s are going before I can test drive at $54k.

Where are you seeing 2016s for $45k, that’s what I see 2015s going for near me? 2016s are going before I can test drive at $54k.
Was finding them, not anymore. But I'm patient, will just keep watching for a great deal, maybe in the winter.

An old car dealer pointed to a collection of about 5-6 Landcruisers he had bought at a mine auction. "Theyll be gone by the end of the month, wont even have to wash the dust off them".

Compare the 200 series resale to any other luxury rig and you will see the resale value is good.

Still, it is an expensive luxury vehicle, it will depreciate faster than a Tacoma or 4runner, both of which have insane resale.

My wife was interested in a new MDX (I don't like them, but it is her car...). I could have kissed the salesman when he said (as if it was a good thing) that the MDX still holds 50% of its value after 3 years. My wife (the practical one) is now the proud owner of a 2020 4Runner, lol. I tried to get her an 2 yr old.LX570, but she hated the disconnected feeling from the road (I was also surprised how different it rode compared to a Land Cruiser). And she loved my Land Cruiser, but didn't want to have two of the same vehicle.

My 16 LC with 30k miles was $53k a year ago, with Toyota 100k platinum warranty transferred from the seller. I din't think it has lost any value over the last (almost) year.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom