New Rumor: 300 LC Will Be Stripped Down Utility Wagon (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Going back to the utilitarian roots is a fantastic idea.

80 series capability with triple locker, and solid axles.
Cargo area of a Troop Carrier
Modularity of a Jeep, with a removable roof. The aftermarket options would explode for pop-tops, camper systems, etc. Van Life and Overlanding are already huge in America.

Having a vehicle that is very off road capable, reliable as the Land Cruiser is, and with enough room to live in it while adventuring in the world is the image they should be looking for in America.

The Sportsmobile Classic starts at $175k and goes up from there. And they have to build their camper out of steel reinforced fiberglass because nobody is making off road capable vans anymore. The market needs one; the Troop Carrier basically is that. They just need to refine the functionality of the carrier portion.

I would be on a waiting list for a year to buy one.

A new Troop Carrier wouldn't sell in the US.
If you think the 200 numbers were bad...
I disagree.

#Vanlife has completely exploded. So has overlanding. RV industry has exploded. Sportsmobile is making so many that they have at least a year waiting list.

They've jacked the price of their sportsmobile classic up to $175,000. Used to be you can get one made starting at $80,000. Like 2 years ago.

There are no very off-road capable vans in the US. The troopy is basically an off-road capable van.

Subcultures of subcultures don't drive markets.
Very few people want an underpowered van that drives like a tractor with a body from 1984 and suspension from 1999.
Those lunatics that do want that, can import one that's eligible and build it to their specs.
A suspension change, and different engine choice takes care of that.

It's not going to be exactly the same. It's a completely new vehicle we're talking about.

It also has to meet American safety standards, and emission standards. So, I'm sure it's not going to be a diesel.

It's going to have crumple zones, a new engine, new suspension, different interior. It's going to be competing with jeep and bronco.

Its not going to happen. Landcruiser is finished in the US. They only keep making 7* series because the Australian mining industry wants them.

In Australia, I love the 4-door tray-back Land Cruisers I see all over. Dunno about a tray-back, that would be so cool, but hard to really justify. Tan, blackout, cloth seats, load up with some goodies, bullbar, hmm...
RSI makes a tray back for a Tundra. I have the smart cap on our Taco, it's pretty damn nice.

RSI makes a tray back for a Tundra. I have the smart cap on our Taco, it's pretty damn nice.

If I wasn't building what I currently am, a regular cab short bed 2nd gen Tundra with a trayback camper would be it. Not sure why more people don't go with a tray

One thing that is killing me is how much value the Land Cruiser loses every year. MSRP on a new LC is $85k. I'm looking for a 2016, they are selling for $45k, that is $40k lost in 4 years. Then I'm looking at 2011, $25k, another $20k lost in 5 years. The annual loss in value on a LC, eclipses all other costs of ownership. I make relatively good money, but dang.

IDK where you've been looking but 2016's here with standard four year mileage have been bringing $56-60K for a while. The LC holds it value very well but it'll never compete in that regard to a 4Runner or Tacoma. We put 32K miles on our 2018 TRD Pro 4Runner over 18 months, it had a handful of dings and some pretty nasty clear coat pin striping when I traded it in with half worn BFG KO2's and a Prinsu roof rack. I paid $44,400 for it new and I got $41K for it on trade. Add on the $2500 tax shelter for the trade and I basically only lost $900 plus the cost of the tires and the roof rack. That's unheard of resale value but it happens quite often around here.

Aussie? Huh, war in middle east wants 7* series
Australia buys more 7* series than anyone else and is the second biggest buyer of Landcruisers overall. Some of the larger miners in Australia have more Landcruisers than small armies in North Africa.
They probably last longer in the army and dont need replacement after 6 months
When the OHS laws dictated all new work vehicle needed curtain airbags, the big miners here began looking for suitable vehicles and Toyota said that was the end of the 7* series. Later they had a meeting with Toyota and Toyota agreed to add curtain airbags. They only make 1200 7* series a month. If that number dropped by 50% they would no longer be viable.
Because of euro emissions and other laws, the 7* series has disappeared from many markets.

Australia buys more 7* series than anyone else and is the second biggest buyer of Landcruisers overall. Some of the larger miners in Australia have more Landcruisers than small armies in North Africa.
They probably last longer in the army and dont need replacement after 6 months
When the OHS laws dictated all new work vehicle needed curtain airbags, the big miners here began looking for suitable vehicles and Toyota said that was the end of the 7* series. Later they had a meeting with Toyota and Toyota agreed to add curtain airbags. They only make 1200 7* series a month. If that number dropped by 50% they would no longer be viable.
Because of euro emissions and other laws, the 7* series has disappeared from many markets.

Hello,

True.

The average miner in Australia buys more 70 Series units than whole countries in, say, Africa.

It is not only emission requirements. Other laws include custom/import taxes based on FOB costs, and ownership taxes. In many places, a 70 Series is deemed as a "big" and "expensive" vehicle, which is an excuse to charge additional money.

Juan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom