New Roof on Old Shed- How to lay shingles? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
House we bought has a decent little detachted shed (8x4) perfect for garden tools and other junk. Only problem was it had a wooden shingle roof that was all but gone.

We pulled that off and then put sheeting on the roof(still in process going to finish up this afternoon hopefully)

anyway i received a bunch of free shingles, just cheap 3tab jobbys that will be fine for this application. But my how do i put em down? haha kind of a dumb question but i would like it to A) look decent and B) last a while...

I have tar paper to lay over the sheeting. Do i lay it lenght wise or ______ or ||||||| strips?

Then how to i lay the shingles? I bought a box of roofing nails ( know i need these)

Start a bottom corner, and work my way over and up. what about over lapping and??? this is kind of were i am at a loss....

Thanks

Stew

The tar paper has to be laid horizontal, again start at the bottom. Get yourself a roofing hatchet with an adjustible gauge, this will tell you how high up to nail your next shingle, you should not need anymore than 4 nails per shingle, i usually use 3. You do not want any nails showing through, all nails should be under the next shingle.
Start your pattern at the bottom and you can stair step it up as you go.
Its not too hard.

Most three tabs have little slits (1/2" long) located on the side and top of each shingle. These slits can be turned out slightly and used to correctly postion each shingle. If the shingles are still in their wrapping then each bundle has instructions on the back. In really wet regions it helps to use a metal drip edge strip, available at building supply stores.

Don't forget to start the first course upside down (no tabs showing) and place the first (right side up) visible course directly over top the first (upside down course). Cut a half a tab off the upside down course so the gaps don't line up. Subsequent courses can are cut 1/2 tab off,then 1 tab off, then 1 1/2 off, then 2 tabs off, then back to full shingle. As was mentioned previously the shingles normally have a slit half way down each end that you line up with each course. To start off straight, snap a line the along the top of the first course and don't forget to leave about a 1" overhang over the eaves and gables. Cheers, Tony

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom