Dodge NEW RAM POWER WAGON (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This is like music to my ears. If I could get anything near 20 mpg out of it on my way back from Colorado to New Hampshire, I would be really happy. Great to hear that a Ford guy could be happy with a Cummins rig as well... that honesty goes a long way. Also happy that you think the AEV stuff is nice. I bought the truck sight unseen, with my buddy inspecting it for me. So, I still have a little anxiety about it being all that I hope.

I live at sea level and it's flat so that probably goes a long way towards the fuel economy but if you don't have your foot in it all the time you should be getting 16+ easily on the way home. I still prefer the Ford cab/interior to the RAM but I am quickly becoming a Cummins fan boy and it's hard to deny the heritage and track record of the motor itself. The AEV bumpers and wheels are top notch stuff, I'd much rather have a Carli or Thuren lift but their bracket setup simply works for an everyday driver. You can easily upgrade the suspension along the way should you feel that you need more from it than what the AEV setup can provide. You shouldn't have any fears in buying that truck and know that you'll get top dollar on resale in that configuration should you find it's just not for you.

Off topic but is that a Doberman or Rottweiler in your profile pic? We have three Dobermans, big fans.

I live at sea level and it's flat so that probably goes a long way towards the fuel economy but if you don't have your foot in it all the time you should be getting 16+ easily on the way home. I still prefer the Ford cab/interior to the RAM but I am quickly becoming a Cummins fan boy and it's hard to deny the heritage and track record of the motor itself. The AEV bumpers and wheels are top notch stuff, I'd much rather have a Carli or Thuren lift but their bracket setup simply works for an everyday driver. You can easily upgrade the suspension along the way should you feel that you need more from it than what the AEV setup can provide. You shouldn't have any fears in buying that truck and know that you'll get top dollar on resale in that configuration should you find it's just not for you.

Off topic but is that a Doberman or Rottweiler in your profile pic? We have three Dobermans, big fans.

This is all great to know. Jumping into a new platform is always exciting. I'll probably post my numbers over here, once I get back.

On the dog topic... I believe every dog owner has that one most special dog in their life. A dog that just gets you and doesn't need verbal commands... just does exactly what you are thinking. That was the dog in my pic. She was a mixed breed rescue, but I believe there was Rottweiler and Sheperd mix in there. She was awesome... passed away in 2014. Love my current dog, but she was that one special dog for me.

...anyway... back to regular programming.

Just following up on here. With 37s and 3" of lift, I drove the Prospector back from Colorado to New Hampshire. At 75 mph, on flatish ground, I got about 21 mpg. At 85 mph, I got about 18 mpg. I averaged in the 19 mpg range after the 2000+ mile trip. I'm pretty happy with that! Loving this truck so far.

bTC8heTh.jpg

6uWr8RCh.jpg

upXlcRVh.jpg

oMo53gfh.jpg

Just following up on here. With 37s and 3" of lift, I drove the Prospector back from Colorado to New Hampshire. At 75 mph, on flatish ground, I got about 21 mpg. At 85 mph, I got about 18 mpg. I averaged in the 19 mpg range after the 2000+ mile trip. I'm pretty happy with that! Loving this truck so far.

bTC8heTh.jpg

6uWr8RCh.jpg

upXlcRVh.jpg

oMo53gfh.jpg

Haha, see, I told you so. Congrats on the new truck, she's a looker.

So 18 mpg w/ diesel is better than the 14-15 mpg w/gas after you factor in the extra cost of the truck, extra cost of fuel, and added complexity and maintenance? Just to drive on the highway at 80mph? Funny to see a MPG convo from people who buy a 3 ton truck on 37" tires for commute duty.

So 18 mpg w/ diesel is better than the 14-15 mpg w/gas after you factor in the extra cost of the truck, extra cost of fuel, and added complexity and maintenance? Just to drive on the highway at 80mph? Funny to see a MPG convo from people who buy a 3 ton truck on 37" tires for commute duty.

Well when you factor in the towing and payload capabilities of a diesel over the gasser and then the fact that it's still getting far better fuel economy than the gasser version or what our LC's get and all while weighing in excess of 8K lbs and rolling on 37's then yea, it's worth being happy about. And around here diesel is only $0.20/gal more than gas so that's not really a factor. Thanks for the shot of negativity this morning, you're probably a blast at parties.

Last edited:

I get what you are trying to say. I was trying address the OP's original question about what's awesome versus what isn't. Like @Tex68w mentioned, fuel mileage on the gas motor isn't great. At 85 mph with a family of 4 and a week's worth of luggage, I'm not sure you'd see 14-15 mpg out of a gas engine... even on tires smaller than 37s. Also, as mentioned above, there is a difference in towing capability between gas and diesel. (850 ft lbs of torque, exhaust brake, tow modes for the turbo, etc.) On the other hand, the PW has a lot of great offroad features my rig just doesn't. (sway bar disconnect, lockers)

I just went through the mental gymnastics of deciding the right approach to me. I'm sure others are in the same boat. I'm just trying to put all the information out there so others can make an informed decision.

Had mine out on the beach this afternoon, can't wait for the AEV bumper and Norweld tray to arrive.

voGNMSt.jpg

Had mine out on the beach this afternoon, can't wait for the AEV bumper and Norweld tray to arrive.

voGNMSt.jpg

That ROCKS!

Long bed standard cabs are hen's teeth.

That ROCKS!

Long bed standard cabs are hen's teeth.

Haha, tell me about it. I had to search long and hard for this one and I came very close to ordering one exactly how I wanted it. Luckily this one came with 98% of everything I wanted and only a few things that I didn't and they are easily rectified. It'll be a fun build when I am done.

I’m new to the Ram platform - which locker do you guys prefer for the 2500 and 3500 series diesels ? Besides a Carli suspension kit, are there other mods to get more axel articulation out of these trucks ?

I’m new to the Ram platform - which locker do you guys prefer for the 2500 and 3500 series diesels ? Besides a Carli suspension kit, are there other mods to get more axel articulation out of these trucks ?

Carli or Thuren for these trucks, I prefer Thuren when it comes to a Dodge/RAM. Both make very similar sway bar systems that provide a lot better travel without giving up handling and control. I'll likely go with ARB air lockers in the RAM, not yet fully decided on that.

Just to keep this thread up to date on my experiments... I ended up ordering a Power Wagon "Articulink" radius arm. I'm hoping to use it like the Superflex on my 80... basically having 1 dominant arm and 1 submissive arm when it comes to the axle rolling forward/aft in articulation. The hope is that the new, freer arm works with the stock arm under acceleration, so wheel hop won't be bad in 4 wheel drive. I am planning on pulling the front sway bar off and adding the arm.

Here's my rig climbing with front sway bar disconnected: (front radius arms are pretty bound up)

zVSZPhrh.jpg

Here's the Articulink arm:

kA1GlGQh.jpg

For anyone who searches and wonder why Power Wagons flex so much better than standard Rams... I grabbed a little data. I installed a single Power Wagon Articulink radius arm on my diesel Ram. (kind of like a Superior Engineering Superflex setup where the arms don't match on an 80 series) With 2 stock arms, my rig could climb 19 inches. With 1 Power Wagon Articulink and 1 stock arm, it climbed roughly 24 inches. That's a pretty big improvement. All the extra articulation was in the front axle... even more impressive. Since I'm on an AEV lift... my springs are still the stock heavy duty spring... Even more impressive, if you ask me! (I can still tow 15,000 lb trailers and put heavy loads in the bed... and my on-road handling is like stock)

6IRVTJ4.jpg

4UkiUkY.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom