Dodge NEW RAM POWER WAGON (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ewillis

SILVER Star
Threads
Any of the newer 2015+ Power Wagon owners out there? What's good about em? What sucks about em? Asking for a friend...

Last edited:
I just bought a 2019 Power Wagon. I’ve owned 80, 100 and 200 series Land Cruisers, 2018-2019 Tundras, Sequoias, Lexus GX 470’s and 460’s, and a LX 570, plus 4Runners and several FJ Cruisers. Basically, I’m a Toyota loyalist. We will see how the Power Wagon does per reliability as the miles add up. Generally, they do have a pretty solid reputation. So far, the only negative about it is the gas mileage: 14 highway on mid-grade fuel (required). If I had to sum up the vehicle from a Toyota perspective, it’s the cross between an FJ Cruiser and a Tundra. Better than the Tundra TRD Pro, at the same price - in a 3/4 ton truck.

Chrysler's build quality has come a long way. I must admit that I am a closet MOPAR guy and have been for decades. I have a 1970 Dodge Challenger RT/SE with a 440 Magnum, a 1989 1 ton Dodge/Cummins 4WD truck and a 2009 Dodge Challenger SRT8. I just ordered a 2020 50th anniversary Challenger Scat Pack Wide Body.

If I wanted a new full size pickup it would be a Power Wagon.

Prior to when Mercedes owned them.
My 09 Challenger has been a damn fine automobile.

For 2020 a 50 gallon fuel tank standard on 2500/3500 crew cab 8 foot bed models will get you where you want to go. Here's what's new for 2020 Ram full size trucks.
Power Wagon has the 6.4 bed so no 50 gal fuel capacity. 31 gallons seems reasonable though...great looking truck nonetheless
1576727391389.png

I had a 2018, I loved most things about it, but........on 37's it got crap fuel economy, the fuel tank was too small, the interior materials felt cheap in comparison to Lexus/Toyota and Ford. I had seven recalls and/or TSB's in the first year, none of which were serious but I could never get the transmission hard shift issue buttoned up, that was annoying. My biggest complaint were the headlights, they were useless and a joke on a $60K gas truck. The new 2019+ 5th Gen PW seems to have resolved that with the LED had light option. The crap tow rating and payload capacity are an issue should you be considering using it for a FWC or to tow more than 6,000 lbs.

The truck handled amazing well, it performed like a Jeep Rubicon off-road, it turned heads everywhere it went, and I had no complaints about the space or power. I struggled with the thought of getting rid of it but in the end the fuel economy was its biggest weakness in my eyes and I longed for the diesel equivalent, Ford now has that with the Tremor. I'm not saying that I wouldn't buy another one because they are reasonably priced when compared to a similarly spec'd diesel 3/4-ton 4x4, but I don't see how you can get around the fuel economy issue and personally I find the ford cab to be more spacious and inviting, YMMV. Let's put it this way, I will definitely consider one when the time comes.

PCAJS32.jpg

Re01SSc.jpg

PUeuszc.jpg

rNRAGJi.jpg

I just bought a 2019 Power Wagon. I’ve owned 80, 100 and 200 series Land Cruisers, 2018-2019 Tundras, Sequoias, Lexus GX 470’s and 460’s, and a LX 570, plus 4Runners and several FJ Cruisers. Basically, I’m a Toyota loyalist. We will see how the Power Wagon does per reliability as the miles add up. Generally, they do have a pretty solid reputation. So far, the only negative about it is the gas mileage: 14 highway on mid-grade fuel (required). If I had to sum up the vehicle from a Toyota perspective, it’s the cross between an FJ Cruiser and a Tundra. Better than the Tundra TRD Pro, at the same price - in a 3/4 ton truck.
How's she holding up a year later?

I had a 2018, I loved most things about it, but........on 37's it got crap fuel economy, the fuel tank was too small, the interior materials felt cheap in comparison to Lexus/Toyota and Ford. I had seven recalls and/or TSB's in the first year, none of which were serious but I could never get the transmission hard shift issue buttoned up, that was annoying. My biggest complaint were the headlights, they were useless and a joke on a $60K gas truck. The new 2019+ 5th Gen PW seems to have resolved that with the LED had light option. The crap tow rating and payload capacity are an issue should you be considering using it for a FWC or to tow more than 6,000 lbs.

The truck handled amazing well, it performed like a Jeep Rubicon off-road, it turned heads everywhere it went, and I had no complaints about the space or power. I struggled with the thought of getting rid of it but in the end the fuel economy was its biggest weakness in my eyes and I longed for the diesel equivalent, Ford now has that with the Tremor. I'm not saying that I wouldn't buy another one because they are reasonably priced when compared to a similarly spec'd diesel 3/4-ton 4x4, but I don't see how you can get around the fuel economy issue and personally I find the ford cab to be more spacious and inviting, YMMV. Let's put it this way, I will definitely consider one when the time comes.

Figured I share my 2 cents for anyone researching a Wagon in 2021...

Numero uno, I am pretty sure I remember your build thread on Expo Portal --- you outfitted that truck very nicely!

I have a 2017, so very similar to your 2018 rig, and at 95K miles I have only had to change the oil and replace a thermostat. I might just be lucky, but I make a lot of trips up and down California to visit family + wheel the crap out of it in the Sierras ---- so far so good!

As gas creeps closer to $5/gal here in California I 100% agree with your gripe about the gas mileage. My LX470 (which I bought from a fellow Mudder here!) doesn't get great MPGs either though. I knew this going in so it doesn't bother me THAT much and I have other cars I drive more often. My Wagon is a toy for me, but if it was my daily I would have a harder time with the crap fuel economy. I also agree about the lackluster lights on the pre-2019s, but can confirm that the 2019+ models have solved the lighting and improved MPG with the new ZF 8 speed tranny. Anyone reading interested in a PW, if you can afford it go 2019+ for those improvements alone...

I think the only area where I really differ from your take is on build quality / interior fit n' finish. I owned my PW before I bought my LC100/LX470, and as a long time Toyota owner I was very excited to experience something that had been the pinnacle of Toyota development. People on this forum go on and on about how tank like and overbuilt the LC100 is. I will not dispute that in its day it would put to shame a RAM truck of the same era in terms of interior fit & finish -- but against a 2017 PW I just don't see it. With 95K miles my interior still looks damn near new and if we are going to talk about robust build and tank like qualities there's not much ground to cede comparing a 3/4 HD truck against the LC100. You cannot beat the solid tank feel of the PW.

That said, I am not taking anything away from my LC.... truth is I have enjoyed it even more than I thought I would, it is an amazing all around -- road trips, camping, exploring the Sierras. I also have total confidence in its robustness and reliability --- but I feel that sometimes out of an abundance of enthusiasm people paint them as these magical indestructible machines. To me it's just another really great solid machine with an awesome legacy, just like the PW, and I feel very blessed and proud to be able to own both.

Hope this mini blog is helpful to someone lol

Figured I share my 2 cents for anyone researching a Wagon in 2021...

Numero uno, I am pretty sure I remember your build thread on Expo Portal --- you outfitted that truck very nicely!

I have a 2017, so very similar to your 2018 rig, and at 95K miles I have only had to change the oil and replace a thermostat. I might just be lucky, but I make a lot of trips up and down California to visit family + wheel the crap out of it in the Sierras ---- so far so good!

As gas creeps closer to $5/gal here in California I 100% agree with your gripe about the gas mileage. My LX470 (which I bought from a fellow Mudder here!) doesn't get great MPGs either though. I knew this going in so it doesn't bother me THAT much and I have other cars I drive more often. My Wagon is a toy for me, but if it was my daily I would have a harder time with the crap fuel economy. I also agree about the lackluster lights on the pre-2019s, but can confirm that the 2019+ models have solved the lighting and improved MPG with the new ZF 8 speed tranny. Anyone reading interested in a PW, if you can afford it go 2019+ for those improvements alone...

I think the only area where I really differ from your take is on build quality / interior fit n' finish. I owned my PW before I bought my LC100/LX470, and as a long time Toyota owner I was very excited to experience something that had been the pinnacle of Toyota development. People on this forum go on and on about how tank like and overbuilt the LC100 is. I will not dispute that in its day it would put to shame a RAM truck of the same era in terms of interior fit & finish -- but against a 2017 PW I just don't see it. With 95K miles my interior still looks damn near new and if we are going to talk about robust build and tank like qualities there's not much ground to cede comparing a 3/4 HD truck against the LC100. You cannot beat the solid tank feel of the PW.

That said, I am not taking anything away from my LC.... truth is I have enjoyed it even more than I thought I would, it is an amazing all around -- road trips, camping, exploring the Sierras. I also have total confidence in its robustness and reliability --- but I feel that sometimes out of an abundance of enthusiasm people paint them as these magical indestructible machines. To me it's just another really great solid machine with an awesome legacy, just like the PW, and I feel very blessed and proud to be able to own both.

Hope this mini blog is helpful to someone lol

Yea that was mine on the Portal, I'll likely start a new build thread for the 2021 RAM 3500 CTD I recently picked here soon.

While I complained about the fuel economy on the PW I was well aware of it's shortcomings in that arena going into it. My biggest gripe was towing or when loaded down with a camper while running the beach. I saw as low as 7mpg once on the beach with the FWC, that's atrocious. I did have to do a lot of relearn flashes with the tranny on mine and my father with his as well, but it never left us stranded. Now I have a one-ton with the Cummins diesel and it's a completely different world. Prior to the 37's I was seeing 20-23mpg stock and even now with the 37's I still touch 18mpg on the highway, I can definitely live with that for a 7400lb truck lol.

In regards to build quality I still have to tip my hat in the direction of the Toyota here. We've had a 2019 LX570, 2019 GX460 and now a 2021 Land Cruiser since the PW and all three have been much better in overall quality than both the 2018 PW and this new 2021 3500. There have been some improvements with the FCA product in the 2019+ trucks, no doubt, but I still don't see them as being on par with the upper echelon Toyota product. In regards to the 2019+ headlights I'll agree, they are much better so long as you don't have the entry level halogen units. My 3500 came with the Halogens and I promptly replaced them with the Midnight Edition LED's units. There are the top tier adaptive projector units as well but I didn't notice any better intensity out of them when compared to the standard LED units. Either way they still both pale in comparison to the Quad Beam LED Projectors that I had on my 2017 Super Duty, those head lights are amazing.

Congrats on that 2021 3500! I really do hope you start another RAM build thread, your last one was a fun read 👍

I don't do much towing with my Wagon TBH, the very occasional travel trailer camping trip, or maybe towing my wife's 95' Defender along camping trips -- that's it, and pretty infrequent. I suspect if I had your towing or cargo requirements that I would take more of an issue with the PW in that department. The Tremor seems very appealing for that purpose too, but you can't go wrong with the new 3500 either.

I also suspect that if my Toyotas were newer like yours (2019-2021) I'd see the quality disparity more. For myself, my LX470 is from 2006 and shares the same turn signal / wiper stalks that my late 90s Tacoma and 4Runners had--- which were very small, light weight (in a cheap feeling way), flimsy plastic. All big auto companies share a parts bin among models to some extent, I get it -- and I am sure the 2021 LC is a world apart from my 2006. Anyway, appreciate your take -- hope to own a late model LC200 myself someday, might checkout your build thread for some inspiration. Happy Memorial Day!

If I were in the market for a new truck today, my only choice would be a TRX. Those things absolutely ROCK

If I were in the market for a new truck today, my only choice would be a TRX. Those things absolutely ROCK

The TRX definitely has the Raptor on it heels but I think the new V8 model is coming for RAM's jugular. It's fun to see these ridiculous truck battles in this day and age.

I refuse to own a Ford truck. When you have to pull the cab to work on the engine...I'm out.

I've seen them pull 5th Gen RAM cabs for motor work as well. I had four Super Duties over the past decade and they were all problem free short of a broken sunroof that was replaced under warranty.

I am a closet Mopar guy. I admit it.
20200601_130129.jpg
20170316_161101.jpg

^I just realized I'm the same. I never have owned a Dodge/Ram, but I have appreciated them since I was really young. I have wanted a Cummins powered rig for a long time. I finally bought one and will fly out to pick it up tomorrow. It doesn't have all offroad features of a power wagon, but I'm betting that ARBs and a Carli front sway bar will make it plenty good for road duty and occasional exploring. (Like a lot of other folks... I wanted a diesel power wagon and had to make a choice between the 2)

77tHjauh.jpg

^I just realized I'm the same. I never have owned a Dodge/Ram, but I have appreciated them since I was really young. I have wanted a Cummins powered rig for a long time. I finally bought one and will fly out to pick it up tomorrow. It doesn't have all offroad features of a power wagon, but I'm betting that ARBs and a Carli front sway bar will make it plenty good for road duty and occasional exploring. (Like a lot of other folks... I wanted a diesel power wagon and had to make a choice between the 2)

77tHjauh.jpg

I have owned both a PW and a 3500 CTD, you made the right choice going with the diesel IMHO. I have a Thuren leveling kit on mine and 37x13.50's and she still pulls 18-21mpg on the highway. I had four Ford Super Duty's with the 6.7L PSD before the RAM's and while I still consider myself a Ford guy I have to say that I am happier with the Cummins. Congrats on the new truck, you'll love the AEV bits it has bolted on.

Last edited:
I have owned both a PW and a 3500 CTD, you made the right choice going with the diesel IMHO. I have a Thuren leveling kit on mine and 37x13.50's and she still pulls 18-21mpg on the highway. I had four Ford Super Duty's with the 6.7L PSD before the RAM's and while I still consider myself a Ford guy I have to say that I am happier with the Cummins. Congrats on the new truck, you'll love the AEV bits it has bolted on.
This is like music to my ears. If I could get anything near 20 mpg out of it on my way back from Colorado to New Hampshire, I would be really happy. Great to hear that a Ford guy could be happy with a Cummins rig as well... that honesty goes a long way. Also happy that you think the AEV stuff is nice. I bought the truck sight unseen, with my buddy inspecting it for me. So, I still have a little anxiety about it being all that I hope.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom