New Motor? Advise _LONG

Discussion in '60-Series Wagons' started by WHITCHCOCK, Oct 27, 2005.

1. WHITCHCOCK

WHITCHCOCK

Well fellas, I mostly lurk and pick up tips but I’ve got a bit of a quandary and would appreciate the wisdom of the board.

After fighting with various smog control problems on my 1990 FJ62, and a botched PO tune up, I popped open the valve cover to adjust and they were so far out I couldn’t believe it (not 1/100”ths of adjustment 1/10”ths or more one was out the better part of a ¼”). I wouldn’t be surprised if this thing had been last adjusted in Japan.

Now, it runs tons better (go figure), but according to my resident Toyota sage because of the neglect a cam lobe is likely badly worn, and is the source of the intermitant squeak from within the engine – I tend to agree. But as an aside, the adjustment screw for the valves are towards the very top of their range. It might last 50k or 5k; we’ll have to see. This engine has 183k.

All that said, I’m figuring a new engine is on the horizon and being that the body/tranny/transfer are all good it is worth doing. I considered a v8 conversion (blasphemer), but I just do not want to go through the hassle. This is a keeper truck for me, and not a DD (I get a free work truck (whoo-hoo), so time is not an issue nor is expense within reason (so forget the $10k Toyota diesel, which would be nice).

So, as I see it my options are,
    A- A lower mileage used motor from Cruiser parts or the like with new gaskets, exhaust, Downey intake/fuel injectors. Cost: $2500?
    B- A new/rebuilt from MAF with exhaust, Downey intake/fuel injectors. Cost: $4-5K? Does anyone have one of these and are they worth it? I’m in Maryland so I hate to think what all of the shipping will cost me.
    C- SOR used motor- Cost $4-5K.
    D- Rebuilt it here, myself. Replace everything. Cost ??????

please weigh in with your thoughts:

I must admit I am leaning towards B or D; although I am a serviceable shade tree, I have never rebuilt a motor and would need help from a local friend who has done so. I just have looked at the SOR prices for parts and I just don’t know if there would be any real cost savings when all is said and done versus buying a whole motor.

I look forward to your responses and if anyone else has other ideas, I will eagerly consider them.

Bill

I

2. Hildy

Hildy

If I had the money I'd go with the MAF 3FE. I heard they have tons of power for an F series. It would probably be less hassle than the other options, just pricey.

3. Mike S

Mike S

That is not much mileage for a 62. New valves, cam, and a head rebuild might get you through if the compression is within spec.

M

4. WHITCHCOCK

WHITCHCOCK

Mike

My thoughts exactly, as far as the milage is concerned, and the compression is within spec . I just figured if I have it have it a part anyway, I might as well look at the pistons and lower end while I was in there. But perhaps this would be going overboard. THoughts? And can you hazard a guess for the cost of parts. I figure I'll be going through SOR, unless you know of other options.

The PO was the US GOV, for the majority of its life (1 guy had it for a year before I got it) and it looks like it was stored inside its whole life - no rust anywhere (and a large measure why I bought it) and the rest of it is all original. I've just found weird stuff like these valves; I'm sure it got oil changes, but I'm not sure if it got much else.

5. Tinker

Tinker

Typically when you do a top-end rebuild the bottom goes out next. When you pull the head, you could drop the pan, check the crank, replace the main & rod bearings, hone the cylinders & replace the rings, & save the aggravation of pulling the engine & carting it around for machine work. If you find something bad, you can still pull the engine.

Engines are deceptively simple, particularly low-tech, low-torque pushrod versions.

I always prefer rebuilding the engine I know to buying a rebuilt I know nothing about.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2005
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.