new member (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everybody,

Just joined the site. Used to have a 2010 FJ TT with a manual, toytec 2.5" lift, body mount chop & 35" BFG MT's. Had a few other things done to it, but I forget at this point... Anyway, I had to get rid of it with the impending arrival of my twin daughters. Ended up buying a 2012 VW Jetta TDI wagon but now with VW doing the above market value buy back come October thats gonna go. I've always loved the 80 series Land Cruisers, so I'm on the hunt for a clean rust free 95-97 Land Cruiser or LX450, preferably with the head gasket and any other issues tended to. Hopefully by the time October rolls around I can find one. Willing to ship it if I can find the right vehicle. Any leads would be appreciated. Closer to stock the better, electronic locking option a plus, flexible on color.

Regards,
Brett

I would suggest putting a location in your profile something more specific than USA

Welcome to MUD. Good luck hunting down your future 80! As @ppc said, where are you located? Betta get on dat Craigslist or classifieds section

I would suggest putting a location in your profile something more specific than USA

Good suggestion.

In NJ, so by willing to ship I meant I'd be willing to send a nice vehicle from Arizona, TX or socal to the east coast!

The head gasket is not a preventative maintenance issue. Like any other vehicle, if you don't blow it out, it's good.

The 1fz-fe engine does have more potential causes of a catastrophic overheating event than the 3fe. The 'pesky heater hose', the throttle body bypass hose right next to that, sub-par fan clutches on some trucks, temperature gauge in the cluster that doesn't tell you anything is wrong until it is too late - that sort of thing. In the long run a radiator with plastic tanks is unfortunately a common service item. Just like on any other vehicle.

Like any other 20 year old vehicle, compression test it and check out the common points of failure.

For the above reasons, most head gasket stories here seem to go along the lines of "I was towing uphill in 100 degree weather and the AC went out and then a few miles later the radiator just blew up!"

The AC automatically cuts out when the engine starts to overheat. On some trucks, that's before the temperature gauge starts to rise above 'normal'. You can modify the cluster to give you an honest temperature reading. On obd2 trucks, people like scangauges and ultragauges.

The head gasket is not a preventative maintenance issue. Like any other vehicle, if you don't blow it out, it's good.

The 1fz-fe engine does have more potential causes of a catastrophic overheating event than the 3fe. The 'pesky heater hose', the throttle body bypass hose right next to that, sub-par fan clutches on some trucks, temperature gauge in the cluster that doesn't tell you anything is wrong until it is too late - that sort of thing. In the long run a radiator with plastic tanks is unfortunately a common service item. Just like on any other vehicle.

Like any other 20 year old vehicle, compression test it and check out the common points of failure.

For the above reasons, most head gasket stories here seem to go along the lines of "I was towing uphill in 100 degree weather and the AC went out and then a few miles later the radiator just blew up!"

The AC automatically cuts out when the engine starts to overheat. On some trucks, that's before the temperature gauge starts to rise above 'normal'. You can modify the cluster to give you an honest temperature reading. On obd2 trucks, people like scangauges and ultragauges.

oh it seemed to me like a high percentage of vehicles encounter the head gasket issue. I had sorta figured that at some point it would go. Since its a pretty common issue, don't you think I'd probably be better off getting a vehicle that blew a head gasket and had it fixed opposed to one thats still running well @ 150K plus and keeping my fingers crossed that it stays that way?

oh it seemed to me like a high percentage of vehicles encounter the head gasket issue. I had sorta figured that at some point it would go. Since its a pretty common issue, don't you think I'd probably be better off getting a vehicle that blew a head gasket and had it fixed opposed to one thats still running well @ 150K plus and keeping my fingers crossed that it stays that way?

Pretty sure it's supposed to last 300k?

With aluminum heads on iron blocks there is an increased probability of head gasket failure due to overheating. And due to issues with the 1fz-fe implementation (not really design i think), there's an increased probability of overheating, vs. the older, weaker, slower 3fe engine.

Well, the PHH should not have existed imho. I think if you put the feed for the cabin heater under the intake port for cylinder 6, you should use a flange and an o-ring and bolt the hard line right to the head. not a nipple, a short hose, and a hard line.

It's a high pressure spot, and a hot spot. And a bear to get to. any 80 series that hasn't had it replaced yet should have it replaced.

The head gasket is a major repair. You're talking about buying a 20 year old or older truck. There will be issues. If anything i'd say that a truck that has had the head gasket replaced has been through some bad stuff. Unless they opted to spend thousands of dollars (or dozens of hours of their own time) doing it as a preventative item.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom