New Member with a Pig Intro (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Should be two seals. Engine output seal. Transmission input seal.

I can tell you who did the clutch in my 4Runner recently. But, I'm not sure I can recommend them. There is a reason I hate letting anybody else work on my junk.
Is the engine output seal aka the rear main seal? I ordered that

These folks came up in discussion. I have no experience.

Yes, the rear main is the engine crank output

I'm thinking two shops. Empire Engines to do the flywheel, or order one from Classic Cruisers,l or wherever.
It is the kind of thing that if you take an older Cruiser into a shop for the clutch, expect them to not know how to operate the choke, and they will spend twenty minutes on the carb, and burn your starter, trying to get it in the work bay.

Yes, the rear main is the engine crank output

I'm thinking two shops. Empire Engines to do the flywheel, or order one from Classic Cruisers,l or wherever.
It is the kind of thing that if you take an older Cruiser into a shop for the clutch, expect them to not know how to operate the choke, and they will spend twenty minutes on the carb, and burn your starter, trying to get it in the work bay.
Lol. Not exactly giving me much confidence! Haha! I don't have a choice. I'm not gonna be able to do this one so I gotta find somewhere!

Thanks for the help everyone

Lol. Not exactly giving me much confidence! Haha! I don't have a choice. I'm not gonna be able to do this one so I gotta find somewhere!

Thanks for the help everyone
Pulled the clutch inspection cover, but need to pull part of the exhaust to get it all the way off, and it was getting dark. That said, can confirm it's the 3 prong older style clutch, and it does appear to be leaking from the back seal to the trans. The oil is definitely coming from the back forward.

20201012_183820.jpg

20201012_183509.jpg

Pulled the clutch inspection cover, but need to pull part of the exhaust to get it all the way off, and it was getting dark. That said, can confirm it's the 3 prong older style clutch, and it does appear to be leaking from the back seal to the trans. The oil is definitely coming from the back forward.

View attachment 2463934

View attachment 2463935
Also, do you think I should be buying a resurfaced fly wheel or get in there and see if the current one cam be machined?

?
I've never used these folks:
But, I know someone who has. And, looking at their homepage, it seems tempting. But, I firmly believe that if at the end of the day, you don't smell like gasoline, gear oil, or grinder dust, then the day was probably wasted.

My guess is that the clutch is shuddering from the oil leak(s). If it was slipping from the heads of rivets on a worn-out disc then you'd have more flywheel carnage. But, it is hard to say if the flywheel is good or not. I'd entertain the idea that it might only be a oil leak problem.

However, oil can impart carbon on the surface of cast iron, and the driving can create heat resulting in glazing, or 'case hardening.' That is a problem because you have spots on the flywheel that wear, and ones that don't wear as much, which makes for less area for the clutch disc to grab onto. Basically, if I was to swap a clutch, I'd almost always have the flywheel get some kind of machining, or abrasive, treatment. I've even heard of shops magnifluxing them to check for structural cracks resulting from excessive heat, or whatever.

If you need a flywheel core to start with, I probably (although, I have not measured it) have one at my place, curbside pickup is fine, although I'm not concerned about germs.

Well I ordered the clutch parts already and since I'm not sure the history of this thing other than it spent the last 7 years or so mostly sitting inside a showroom, I don't mind replacing stuff. If what's in there is decent, I got backups for down the line. Plus to fix the oil leaks is gonna require a lot of labor to drop the trans anyway, I figured why not. It really does look like the rear seal is leaking so hopefully that and all the new parts gets me right, because after the rebuilt Aisin carb and new vac advance dizzy, this sucker is running great! Running though my head if I could actually do the job myself if I bought or borrowed an engine lift. Think I read it's doable with some extra man power, but I'm really getting over my head now!

Anyway, I'll post some more pics on this thread and have been meaning to get to one of the local Sat. Morning togethers to meet some of the abq guys. Thanks again to everyone today. It's been super helpful and enlightening. New guys needs the help for sure!

Definitely get the flywheel resurfaced. I did the clutch in my old Honda Accord and just slapped in new parts without a full removal/disassembly/flywheel resurfacing and only went about 50K miles before the clutch was slipping again on a well polished/glazed flywheel.

OK, Got the fly wheel resurfaced and back to me yesterday. Going into Tranco on Eubank Monday morning. Really friendly people and they had no problem with me bringing in the parts or working on an older rig. Got front trans and rear main engine seal too. Pretty excited to get this done and shifting smooth! I'll post with what's hopefully a successfull install mid next week! Fingers crossed

OK, Got the fly wheel resurfaced and back to me yesterday. Going into Tranco on Eubank Monday morning. Really friendly people and they had no problem with me bringing in the parts or working on an older rig. Got front trans and rear main engine seal too. Pretty excited to get this done and shifting smooth! I'll post with what's hopefully a successfull install mid next week! Fingers crossed
New clutch is in. Tranco was great. Truck drives amazing now. Cream puff! Crazy how much better it is. Thanks to everyone for the sage advice. I'll be back for more! Dizzy, got a banged up fly wheel for ya! Thx again!

I think that they all get a bit of that. Even the one from my parts collection had minor cracking. It might machine out
I'll bring it up to you next time I head to Santa Fe. Thanks again. Made the process easier and more predictable for sure!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom