New member, picked up a Sage 97 40'th locked (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks! I am in the Westminster/Huntington Beach area and bought it in temecula. I am looking forward to meeting up with some locals and learning all about this rig.

whats your 40th number? on the console next the shifter

Nice ride and very clean, mine was:doh::whoops:now shes a wheeler

Well, hate to be the one to drop the bomb. However, I know this truck... I looked at it last year when I was in the market for a FZJ. When I looked at it, the truck had 112,000. Since then I have seen it at several dealerships. The reason I passed on it is because in my opinion it had been hit hard on the drivers side and something just wasn't right. If you stand back and look at the DS, you can see that the color just doesn't match. Now, the only reason that a body shop would spray the whole side of a vehicle, is if there was a lot more damage than just the drivers door. How do I know this you ask. Well I was a insurance appraiser and have seen too many crashed vehicles to even count. This is not to say, that it is not a good truck. I just want you to be aware of its past... Chances are that it will give you many years of service. :steer: Not to mention that you have already found the best Land Cruiser resource on the planet. So:cheers: to U, :cheers: to the mud family and oh yeah:flipoff2:

It seems very likely that the dealer knew about the damage. I would be pissed (and probably try to renegotiate the price) if it had significantly more damage than what was disclosed.

:hmm:

I don't think that the dealer that he bought it from is aware of the damage and bet that it was taken in on trade. He also took it to a Toyota dealer for inspection and a green light to purchase. SO the onus is on the buyer. Unfortunately California has no cooling off period. So to un-wind a deal after it is burning gas is next to impossiable...

Last edited:
Well, hate to be the one to drop the bomb. However, I know this truck... I looked at it last year when I was in the market for a FZJ. When I looked at it, the truck had 112,000. Since then I have seen it at several dealerships. The reason I passed on it is because in my opinion it had been hit hard on the drivers side and something just wasn't right. If you stand back and look at the DS, you can see that the color just doesn't match. Now, the only reason that a body shop would spray the whole side of a vehicle, is if there was a lot more damage than just the drivers door. How do I know this you ask. Well I was a insurance appraiser and have seen too many crashed vehicles to even count. This is not to say, that it is not a good truck. I just want you to be aware of its past...
Thanks, I came to the same conclusion and due to the clean carfax put it down to paint only and for me a non-issue. I imagine it was a long s****e/scratch due to a rock or pole. T-Bone would have left frame evidence and an insurance claim on carfax... Body/frame is straight. No wavies. Drives great, have driven a few and this one drove the best... So, consider me an informed buyer and if anyone feels sorry for me I will kick their ass. :flipoff2: (just kidding!) My priority was a straight frame, relatively low miles, lockers, and mechanically sound and that is what I paid for. I am too impatient to wait for perfection in a 11 year old vehicle. Remember I had it fully inspected and have pages of all the preventative maintenance done by the previous owners...

My priority was a straight frame, relatively low miles, lockers, and mechanically sound and that is what I paid for. I am too impatient to wait for perfection in a 11 year old vehicle.

That was my thinking when I got my PEARL WHITE 40th. Turns out the PO just didn't like the sage color. I looked for 4 months and only found 2 low mileage 80s within 250 miles. When I found one with lockers 1 mile from my office, I wasn't about to pass it up because it didn't have original color. Best decision I've made in a while. Impatience sometimes pays. :cheers:

Thanks, I came to the same conclusion and due to the clean carfax put it down to paint only and for me a non-issue. I imagine it was a long s****e/scratch due to a rock or pole. T-Bone would have left frame evidence and an insurance claim on carfax... Body/frame is straight. No wavies. Drives great, have driven a few and this one drove the best... So, consider me an informed buyer and if anyone feels sorry for me I will kick their ass. :flipoff2: (just kidding!) My priority was a straight frame, relatively low miles, lockers, and mechanically sound and that is what I paid for. I am too impatient to wait for perfection in a 11 year old vehicle. Remember I had it fully inspected and have pages of all the preventative maintenance done by the previous owners...

OK good! Now don't get me wrong. I am not trying to take the wind out of your sails. If you are happy then that is what's most inportant... I just wanted to give you info/ my opinion and that's what it is; just my opinion. The truck did drive nice. I just was unable to get past the age to mileage factor for a California vehicle. What I mean is that I drive very little being a Mr. MOM of a 5 & 3 year old. That said, I have have put almost 13,000 on my truck is just under a year. Fact is everything is so spread out here, we tend to run up the clock more that other states. I also agree that most of the time a major t-bone would cause frame damage but not always. It depends where and what hits it. With regards to the carfax, you should be OK. Because we all know the body shops never do work under the table. Never the less this stuff is really a non issue. Since if you are like most of us here on mud, you bought it to wheel and drink:beer:anyhow!
Dave

lol, I'm one of the guys from out of state - figured the dealer didn't return my call the next day as promised cuz someone else grabbed it up - way to go on the price too!

very nice!!!!

Welcome!!:flipoff2:

Polak

Turns out the PO just didn't like the sage color. :cheers:

PO has probably been committed...to change from the greatest color ever invented to white, well, that's just nuts.

;)

Congrats!! I agree on not sweating the paintwork, just look for good structue and hopefully all or almost all of the original panels stamped with the vin tags. How can you ever justify off roading (we assume since lockers were important) one that is perfect? Now if you get a little bump having some fun you don't feel so bad, just make sure you scrape the same side.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom