New Member Intro Thread (Driveline Clunk) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Greetings,

I own a 1999 LC with 220k Miles. I've owned this wagon for almost 2 years now. So far I've done the following maintenance items or repairs.

- timing belt, water pump, oil seals, serpentine belt
- replaced complete upper and lower control arms both sides
- new brakes pads, turned OEM rotors.
- new front flanges (did not fix clunk)
- replaced front wheel bearings and seals
- new heater T's and hoses associated with such
- steering shaft
- running board delete
- chrome bull bar delete

Otherwise the wagon is basic stock. I would like to do some mods in the future.

My main issue right now is the driveline clunk/slack issue. I've greased and re-greased the 6 zerks on the drive shaft. I have all the bushings from CruiserTeq for the front differential but they all look good and do not think this is the issue.

Looking forward to digging deep into this forum. A labor of love

-Brian

20211021_162740.jpg

Welcome! You've done some good baselining to take care of many of the issues that arise by the 200k mile mark. BUT:

new front flanges (did not fix clunk)
What about the CV axles? The outboard splines that go inside the flange are well-known to be a primary point of wear and, consequently, a primary contributor of the "clunk". If you're still on the original axles at 220k miles, 100% chance that the outboard shaft splines are badly worn and peaked.

I have all the bushings from CruiserTeq for the front differential but they all look good and do not think this is the issue.
9/10 chance they're toast. Typically can't see just how bad they really are until you pull them off the truck.

I've greased and re-greased the 6 zerks on the drive shaft.
OK, but have you checked all the u-joints and the yokes for wear/slack? There should be zero play in the joints and <1mm movement in the yoke splines.

UjointSpecs.JPG

replaced complete upper and lower control arms both sides
What about the *rear* upper and lower arms? The bushings in those might be toast, too, which can contribute to the "clunk".

Thank you for a detailed reply. According to the Carfax the front axles were repaired/replaced at 202k so not sure about their condition. But I get very little play when I put the flange on backwards and rotate the axle. I'm going to do a complete front differential overhaul, install eaton e-locker) I will probably work with a shop/mechanic on this and plan on replacing the bushings during this. I'll Inspect the drive shaft more closely as you recommended.

I was not aware of rear control arms. Solid axle, correct?

-Brian

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom