New member into and looking for help diagnosing a problem (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all, I have been lurking for at least 8 months or so since I bought my '84 60 series from a good friend of mine. I live in Albuquerque, NM and use the truck mostly for fun on and off-road. The truck has about 287k on the odometer. About 5 years ago my friend found it in backwoods New Mexico and bought it and started fixing it up. He put bigger wheels and tires on it, a full OME suspension kit with a 2" lift, had the original 2F rebuilt locally as well as rebuilt knuckles, new radiator, rebuilt carb, and other things. He also installed an ARB front bumper. I added the KC lights, the roof bars and roof box, and the stripes. It has been running great since I purchased it from him in January of 2019. However I just made this account so I could ask...

A couple weeks ago after filling up before a camping weekend suddenly the truck would start to have serious hesitation problems at speed, under load (i.e. trying to accelerate up an incline at normal speeds). It will start up and idle just fine, and I can drive around mostly normal but especially when in 3rd or 4th gear and trying to go up ANY kind of hill, it starts hesitating and chugging and feeling like it wants to die, but if I let off the gas and put the clutch in, it doesn't stall out. I first noticed this after a little stint on the highway, doing about 65 mph for maybe 30 minutes.

I feel like I've at least narrowed it down to "high engine load" and don't think it's anything to do with operating temperature, you can start it up first thing in the morning and go try to chug up a hill and it will produce the same issue. I thought the fuel pump was going bad so I put in a new mechanical fuel pump. It ran ok for a few days of light driving around town and then started doing it again. Meanwhile this is still on the same tank of fuel as when I filled it up before the camping trip as I mentioned previously. So I put a bottle of HEET in the tank along with some fresh premium from a different station. Again, it ran ok for a few days but then it started doing the exact same thing again. SO THEN still thinking it might be bad gas, I siphoned as much gas out of the tank as I could, and then ran the return line from the mechanical fuel pump out to another gas can and ran it till it was dry. Then I put a couple gallons of fresh gas (from a different station) in it, took it for a drive and it still does the same thing under load.

At this point I'd like to hear what your thoughts are. Carb? Vaccum? Electrical? Everything in the truck is basically "stock" except like I said it's been de-smogged by the previous owner. When I put a new pump on I did check the filter and it's good. I also inspected some of the gas I took out of the truck to make sure it dodn't have blobs of water in it. I don't know what to check next...it's hard to think of what I can bench test with it running in my driveway since it only does this when under heavy load.

Thanks in advance for your ideas!

IMG_20190728_122120481_HDR.jpg

Have you changed the fuel filter yet?

Reactions: OSS
Have you changed the fuel filter yet?

At your recommendation I just went out and swapped the filter for another generic in-line filter I had in the garage. I drove it around, got it up to temperature, put some gas in it, and then went and drove up what passes for some hillly roads around here. It drove fine, no problems.

I'm really curious what might have caused this. Previously I "bench tested" the old filter by washing it out backwards with some carb cleaner and also checking the flow with one side of the line disconnected and it seemed ok. To be honest I don't really trust it still, I'm going to need to drive it around for a few days and see what happens.

Does the stock mechanical fuel pump "suck" fuel from the tank, or does it "push" via the return line? When the truck is running, is the fuel filter supposed to be full of fuel? Or only about half full?

All your symptoms sounded like classic dirty filter problems. Happens in modern cars too. Filters can just get partially clogged over time if not changed. They will handle low rpm fuel flow but have too much restriction to allow higher fuel demand.

My fuel filter always appears about half full but I’ve never seen it at full throttle.

Having just replaced my mechanical fuel pump, I can also add another symptom to keep an eye on. I had always had an issue with the carb/pump draining completely if I let the rig sit for a few days. Since it had been that way since day 1, didn't think much of it. Would have to crank and pump like it was the middle of winter to get it to catch, then it was fine. Generally more than 2 days and then lather, shave, rinse, repeat. With nice new fuel pump that went away. Glad the new fuel filter did ya good. I remember the "emissions computer" causing me some headaches about 10 years ago with stutter and such. Nice thing about the OEM filter sysle is it has that clip for it to snap into on the inner fenderwell.

Glenn in Marana

The fuel pump sucks the fuel from the tank continuously. The needle valve in the carb controls how much fuel goes into the float bowl by the level of the float. Excess fuel from the pump gets returned back to the gas tank. The fuel pump is constantly recirculating gas from the tank- through the filter -and back to the tank.
Although a fast idling 2F can burn through 1 gallon of fuel per hour, the filter is probably filtering 5x to 10x that amount as its getting recirculated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom