New here, from Australia, where Landcruisers Rule the Outback. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Am building a mid wheelbase 1985 73 Series. 12HT turbo diesel engine, TJM Air Lockers, upgraded 5 speed, high lift suspension with grease able springs and shackles, lock out hubs, custom power steering, long range tank, dual batteries, winch, heavy duty mags, 33/12.5-15 Nitto Trail Grappler, roof rack, and more... I am building it for sand driving, beaches and so on. Because it is all old school, its parts are rare and worth a lot and so I am scared of someone stealing it..... Cannibalise it for parts..
Can You help me please: How can I make the 12HT immobilized? Kill switch? Hood lock down?
Kind regards from Australia
And God Bless America!!

Looking forward to the write up and pics

How can I make the 12HT immobilized? Kill switch? Hood lock down?

Multiple back up security and eternal vigilance. A well hidden fuel cut valve and a movement sensor alarm would work well. You have to take into account that sometimes alarms or other security items can let you down when you are a long way from the road. So you need something you can over ride if it fails.

Those tracking devices that you can follow on your phone are cheap.

My build is similar and insured with Shannon’s. There the best forget the rest. As Rosco said above tracker but let the police deal with it not worth doing time over a 25,000 dollar truck.

Welcome, post of some pictures! Sounds pretty similar to my build.

interested in some of your mods in more detail.

As @roscoFJ73 said, fuel cutoff, hidden killswitch, alarm is good. Tracking is getting cheap as well. Hood locks help. Again, possible more issues for failure for you.
you almost have to make it not startable, or able to move or steer.
The problem is, if someone wants it bad enough, they will get it...or damage it.

some of the best protection will be just mindful of where you park it or keep it. Document everything and Insure the heck out of it.

Hello antique Cruiser Friends
Outback One here in Australia...

Here is a novel idea from a Local:
Weld down or heavy screw down and drill out heads of screws on a heavy duty Stainless pad eye, to put a big padlock on the shifter locking it in reverse !!
They cannot start it or drive away in reverse gear !

Might just do that one. Also looking for a 12 v fuel solenoid switch. I could put in a hidden manual ball valve like I have do e before, but a little awkward at times. Maybe the hidden remote fuel solenoid.

Thanks for your comments !

I am excited to see your project. I have a '93 HZJ73 waiting for me to get after it. I have a 12h-t I am planning to install in it so it will be nice to see how your project goes.

Thank you for sharing!

And no pics?

Welcome to mud.

20190317_110939.jpg

X2 on Shannon's, fantastic customer service. Can you rig up a way to lock the shut off butterfly closed on the 12HT?

I have a hzj78 with a 1hz, and whenever I leave it somewhere dodgy i remove the fuse called 'engine' which stops fuel being pumped to the engine. It will crank over but not fire. I reckon it would take a thief a solid 30 mins to figure that one out, and it only takes a second to remove it.

The other thing I have done is just to leave the transfer case in neutral. Again, if you were nicking a car I reckon it would take you a good few minutes to realise why it wasn't pulling away when you put it in gear.

X2 on leaving transfer in Neutral. On my HDJ80 I rigged up a turbo timer such that it could be unplugged and taken away, so no power to the fuel cut solenoid and therefore lots of cranking but not much starting. Is there some way that the vacuum setup could be rigged on the 12HT to keep the intake shutter closed?

X2 on leaving transfer in Neutral. On my HDJ80 I rigged up a turbo timer such that it could be unplugged and taken away, so no power to the fuel cut solenoid and therefore lots of cranking but not much starting. Is there some way that the vacuum setup could be rigged on the 12HT to keep the intake shutter closed?
Unplugging the wiring harness to the VSV solenoid bolted to the intake plenum would make it permanently shut down. Unplugging the vacuum would make it permanently run haha.

Unplugging the wiring harness to the VSV solenoid bolted to the intake plenum would make it permanently shut down. Unplugging the vacuum would make it permanently run haha.
Hahaha, yeah fair point, mustn't have been thinking too well there. W
Without being stereotypical, my assumption is someone looking to flog a car is probably younger, and therefore not likely to be familiar with the intricacies of an older truck, so by Transfer in neutral and crank and no start, I figured it would be hard enough to be discouraging.

so by Transfer in neutral and crank and no start, I figured it would be hard enough to be discouraging.

My thoughts exactly. Thieves dont like sitting in a vehicle any longer than necessary and delaying their getaway with fuel cutoffs, gearbox pranks etc is annoying for them.
The most dangerous thief is the one that owns a tow truck, he will tow a car away and look at it in the safety of his own workshop. You need some way of locking on the brakes and motion sensors that activate alarms to frustrate him. Flashing fake alarm lights makes him think and steering wheel locks is another setback for a thief (and cheap).
I also strongly believe in thinking out parking spots. I try to park near well lit building entrances , theives worry about the owner and 4 of his mates busting out of the doors and beating the crap out of him. Its also really gratifying to watch.
Video surveillance is also strong deterrent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom