New here, from Australia, where Landcruisers Rule the Outback.

Am building a mid wheelbase 1985 73 Series. 12HT turbo diesel engine, TJM Air Lockers, upgraded 5 speed, high lift suspension with grease able springs and shackles, lock out hubs, custom power steering, long range tank, dual batteries, winch, heavy duty mags, 33/12.5-15 Nitto Trail Grappler, roof rack, and more... I am building it for sand driving, beaches and so on. Because it is all old school, its parts are rare and worth a lot and so I am scared of someone stealing it..... Cannibalise it for parts..
Can You help me please: How can I make the 12HT immobilized? Kill switch? Hood lock down?
Kind regards from Australia
And God Bless America!!

roscoFJ73

How can I make the 12HT immobilized? Kill switch? Hood lock down?

Multiple back up security and eternal vigilance. A well hidden fuel cut valve and a movement sensor alarm would work well. You have to take into account that sometimes alarms or other security items can let you down when you are a long way from the road. So you need something you can over ride if it fails.

Those tracking devices that you can follow on your phone are cheap.

My build is similar and insured with Shannon’s. There the best forget the rest. As Rosco said above tracker but let the police deal with it not worth doing time over a 25,000 dollar truck.

FJBen

SILVER Star

Welcome, post of some pictures! Sounds pretty similar to my build.

interested in some of your mods in more detail.

As @roscoFJ73 said, fuel cutoff, hidden killswitch, alarm is good. Tracking is getting cheap as well. Hood locks help. Again, possible more issues for failure for you.
you almost have to make it not startable, or able to move or steer.
The problem is, if someone wants it bad enough, they will get it...or damage it.

some of the best protection will be just mindful of where you park it or keep it. Document everything and Insure the heck out of it.

Hello antique Cruiser Friends
Outback One here in Australia...

Here is a novel idea from a Local:
Weld down or heavy screw down and drill out heads of screws on a heavy duty Stainless pad eye, to put a big padlock on the shifter locking it in reverse !!
They cannot start it or drive away in reverse gear !

Might just do that one. Also looking for a 12 v fuel solenoid switch. I could put in a hidden manual ball valve like I have do e before, but a little awkward at times. Maybe the hidden remote fuel solenoid.

Thanks for your comments !

dogfishlake

"Go on a living spree"
Supporting Vendor
SILVER Star
I am excited to see your project. I have a '93 HZJ73 waiting for me to get after it. I have a 12h-t I am planning to install in it so it will be nice to see how your project goes.

Thank you for sharing!

Top Bottom