New here, and new to Toyotas. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys. I have been a Ford truck person for many years but have recently become a big fan of what I believe to be the Series 75 pickup. I will buy one soon (in Cambodia) and I want to know what to look for. I have seen a 24Valve gasoline version, many with 5 or 6 cylinder diesels, and one with a 4 cylinder diesel. I want a diesel and I presume the six is the best choice. I am also curious whether the turbocharged diesel six found in the "luxury" Land Cruiser is a bolt-in swap for any of the above motors. I'll appreciate any advice or comments. Thanks.

go with either the HZJ75 or the PZJ75.
both can be turbo'd and both have great reliabiliy. you are looking at the best as far as i am concerned but of course i might be a bit biased...

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=48589

As far as motors go, people that know more about the different ones can give you better advice on what to look for etc. Look at everything, bring a magnet in a cloth to look for bondo, tapping body panels also gives you a good indication of there condition, LC's boxed in frame rails seem to hold alot of crud, look at the frame closly and check for major rust and holes, the drivetrain is pretty bullet proof, check for excess wheel play buy rocking them back and forth, some is normal. Look at all yer fluids and as the person about serivice intervals on the truck etc. These are the toughest all wheel drive trucks in the world, but there are select things that need replacing after time and abuse. Drive it with the windows up and really listen on ashfault at around 100kmoh usally gives you a good indication of how solid a rig is.

From the sounds of reading the fourms for quite some time, all motors arew tanks but have a few ups and downs, some of the new 6 cylinder diesels need main bearings after about 200 000 or so it is more a precautuion then a nessary thing, and by the sounds of it isn't very hard to do and are quite powerful fast motors, the 4 cylinder diesels are gutless wonders but built well, unless you overheat them which causes head problems.

all in all it is just time to look at every little detail, don't be rushed by the seller take your time and look at everything, check for excess play in drivetrain,

Thanks for the quick and informative replies. I should have added that cosmetics are not an issue because labour costs almost nothing in Cambodia.
What do the engine codes describe? I think the turbo and non-turbo sixes are very similar (except for CR and the turbo?) but I'm trying to determine if the turbo motor is a bolt-in replacement for the five or six. Anyone know?

Yeah, Wayne is right about the HZJ75, realy on the ID plate of the vehicule it's a PHZJ75 for the picckup! You could find a HJ75 pickup too. I'm not the best fan of the PZ engines, i just don't know them! Then you have the BJ75, most classical and produced one i would think, 3.4 liter four cylinder engine, leaf springs, and factory PTO! Well you could also find a nice hilux, over where you live there might be other options than the 2L or 2LT engines!

Best regards.

Max.

Khmer75 said:
Thanks for the quick and informative replies. I should have added that cosmetics are not an issue because labour costs almost nothing in Cambodia.
What do the engine codes describe? I think the turbo and non-turbo sixes are very similar (except for CR and the turbo?) but I'm trying to determine if the turbo motor is a bolt-in replacement for the five or six. Anyone know?

The turbo diesel is more or less a straight swap with its non turbo cousin.
However I think the gearboxes in the 80 and 100 series LANDCRUISERS are different to the ones used on the 75 series.
The 1HZ (NON TURBO ) is easiley swapped for the 1HD -T (early turbo)

I also think the 1HZ /1HD-T diesel motors will fit into the 1 FZ petrol engine to chassis mounts.

The other 2 turbo motors are known as the 1HD-FT and the 1HD -FTE.
These become slightly more difficult to install because of the electronics .

Toyota still sell the 79 series (updated 75 series)new with the 1HD-FTE in Australia and the Middle east.

It maybe easier for you to fit an aftermarket turbo onto a NA diesel.

The 5 cyl diesel has a different gearbox than the 6 cyl

I have considered the 4-door Hilux Max, but it seems overpriced compared to the big pickup. The model 75 is relatively affordable because the locals seem to reject it, possibly due to its limited passenger space and thirsty (for Cambodia!) engines.

Khmer75 said:
I have considered the 4-door Hilux Max, but it seems overpriced compared to the big pickup. The model 75 is relatively affordable because the locals seem to reject it, possibly due to its limited passenger space and thirsty (for Cambodia!) engines.

Well they dont know what their missing. The lux is the best in its class but they dont have the longevity of the 75 series cab chassis.
In fact nothing lasts as long as the 75.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom