New GX - School Me on KDSS Delete/Swap Options (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just picked up an 06 GX 470. Has air springs and KDSS. Neither appear to be working properly. Goal for the truck is 35" tires/gears/lockers/cut fenders/tubbed firewalls - trail use (not really overland - mostly just local trails). So I know the air suspension is out - will all be replaced with lift kit. But the big question is this KDSS bulls**t. I want to be clear that it'll be 95% gravel road driving, off-road trail driving, light to moderate rock crawling, and that's about it. So the on-road benefits of sway bars are maybe not as big of a deal for me as for others.

KDSS light is on on the dashboard, comes on after a minute or so of driving. Lots of body roll in the corners. Haven't had it diagnosed because I'm not sure what (if any) value there is in me keeping the KDSS system at all?

I've been trying to do my homework on this but there is not a ton of clear info that I've found so far. I want to make sure I understand my options.

Option 1: Repair the KDSS system and use a spacer meant for whatever lift kit I'm getting. What are the benefits of this vs. Option 2?

Option 2: Swap the front KDSS sway bar to an OEM non-KDSS sway bar with some light fabricating of a couple bolt holes or possibly some fabricated brackets? (Not 100% clear on the details here.) Sounds like there is no option to swap to an OEM non-KDSS rear sway bar, and some have fitted Currey Anti-Rock aftermarket sway bars? (Please fill me in on all this - Pros/Cons vs. KDSS regarding suspension travel/articulation, difficulty of front OEM swap, difficulty of Currey custom solution, etc.)

Option 3: Fully delete the KDSS system (possibly sell for decent price?) and replace it with nothing - no sway bars. Pros/Cons? I tested my FJ Cruiser with no front sway bar when I installed an Icon Extended-Travel front suspension years ago and it was definitely rolley-polley. Not great for a daily. Wife wouldn't have wanted to drive it. But I do believe I could acclimate to that sort of thing on a purely off-road vehicle. Would love to hear others' takes on this though (especially those running no sway bars with extended/long-travel kits).

Like I said, I've tried to do my homework, but would really like to learn more specifics from some experts here - and please do correct me where I'm wrong so I'm clear on all this. I appreciate it.
I have a call and an email out to MetalTech4x4 this afternoon but no word back yet.

Separate Question: I've seen some guys saying long-travel kits have their own list of Cons and possibly don't handle very well (especially without sway bars)? Would love some feedback on the extended-travel vs. long-travel decision, Pros and Cons of each from those who've been there and done that. Thanks guys

I am a die hard KDSS fan but For 95% off road no swaybar is the correct answer.

Disconnect the module on the rear drivers quarter panel and you should not see the light anymore.

I wouldn’t count on getting any money out of KDSS parts when it’s unknown if they’re working. The only thing likely worth anything (accumulator stuff) is the most likely to have failed.

The places to bolt up factory sways aren’t there. Can be rectified but will cost money. I think some people have had good luck with Currie anti-rock in the rear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom