New Guy - Importing '93 1HD-T (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Alright, I will stop licking windows and prioritize sourcing a 3 inch exhaust. If anyone has any personal recommendations I would love to hear them. I am located in DFW for reference.
@Dusten just went with the Legendx I think. I believe he posted before and after videos for sound.

so did @WiscoPat
we have both had some fitment issues, but nothing that can't be solved.
And ya, I posted a thread about the install and a video.

Also bought a Legendex here for my 1992 HDJ81. I'm in Florida.
Ordered it from Ben @ Superior engineering out of AUS, and found him easy to work with. He sent a PayPal invoice, I paid it, and in two weeks, the exhaust arrived.

I had no fitment issues at all. You'll need all new exhaust hangers (Called "cushion") in the parts catalog. I got them from my Local Toyota dealer for short money. I'd buy new nuts as well. Many of your studs will snap. You'll reuse the metal gasket at the dump flange. It's not a problem.

I was frankly disappointed in the lack of sound. I've had lots of modified turbo diesels with big exhausts, and this thing is nearly stock sound level, but with a better tone.
If you want to be heard, or have people look over when you rev it, get the berserker pipe. It's straight through instead of the muffler. I'm ok with it. With the turbo whistle from the engine, people can tell it's a turbo diesel.

Also bought a Legendex here for my 1992 HDJ81. I'm in Florida.
Ordered it from Ben @ Superior engineering out of AUS, and found him easy to work with. He sent a PayPal invoice, I paid it, and in two weeks, the exhaust arrived.

I had no fitment issues at all. You'll need all new exhaust hangers (Called "cushion") in the parts catalog. I got them from my Local Toyota dealer for short money. I'd buy new nuts as well. Many of your studs will snap. You'll reuse the metal gasket at the dump flange. It's not a problem.

I was frankly disappointed in the lack of sound. I've had lots of modified turbo diesels with big exhausts, and this thing is nearly stock sound level, but with a better tone.
If you want to be heard, or have people look over when you rev it, get the berserker pipe. It's straight through instead of the muffler. I'm ok with it. With the turbo whistle from the engine, people can tell it's a turbo diesel.

I installed all new hangers.

Hey HH.

Can you make videos installing your gauges? I’m looking to go down the same route but am a novice.

Thanks

The car should be en route this month. I am looking at getting a new set of shocks and was wondering if I can use shocks for the standard US FZJ80? Also 99% of this cars life will be spent on roads, any recommendations for good shocks? I would like to maintain the lift on the car and any other small stuff that needs (caster correction kit??) to be done before I consider it ready to drive.

Current list of stuff I will be doing and have bought the parts for:
Water Pump
Timing Belt
Intercooler
GTurbo
Thermostat
Exhaust (will be done locally)
Accessory Belts
Gauges
Speakers
Radio

Stuff I want to do and need to buy parts for (preferably aftermarket upgrades since I am replacing the part anyway):
Drag Link Ends
Steering Damper
Shocks
Pads and Rotors (Considering it is a 93 I am unsure what brake pads and rotors to get.... I would like to get the best I can)
....... Anything else that will extend the lifetime of the car and make it better

Let me know if yall have any recommendations.

The car should be en route this month. I am looking at getting a new set of shocks and was wondering if I can use shocks for the standard US FZJ80? Also 99% of this cars life will be spent on roads, any recommendations for good shocks? I would like to maintain the lift on the car and any other small stuff that needs (caster correction kit??) to be done before I consider it ready to drive.

Current list of stuff I will be doing and have bought the parts for:
Water Pump
Timing Belt
Intercooler
GTurbo
Thermostat
Exhaust (will be done locally)
Accessory Belts
Gauges
Speakers
Radio

Stuff I want to do and need to buy parts for (preferably aftermarket upgrades since I am replacing the part anyway):
Drag Link Ends
Steering Damper
Shocks
Pads and Rotors (Considering it is a 93 I am unsure what brake pads and rotors to get.... I would like to get the best I can)
....... Anything else that will extend the lifetime of the car and make it better

Let me know if yall have any recommendations.

My JDM cruiser had an old set of very bad Rancho shocks. I replaced them with Bilstein 5100's and I am super happy with the upgrade.
I ordered them from Summit racing for a 1992 US LC. They include the shock bushings as well. Full kit.

FRONT

REAR

It's up to you, but I took a different approach with my truck. It was in Japan until late 2019, and I bought it in late 2020.
I just drove it.
I checked the timing belt, and it looked in great shape. There was a loose wheel bearing up front which I tightened.

Shocks were bad so they got replaced. Exhaust is always helpful on a turbo diesel, so that got replaced. The rear panhard was at a crazy angle due to the lift so I did the Eimkeith kit.
Otherwise, I'm just addressing issues when / if they arise!

Good luck! Post photos when she lands!

I hate to throw out common sense to cool your excitement, but as mentioned in the post above, you'd probably be best to wait for the truck to arrive before spending any more money on it. IMO, there's not much point in spending money on parts you "might" need. You will likely find you will need to spend money on stuff you didn't expect after the truck arrives and you have a chance to look it over and drive it.

For your question about shocks, yes the FZJ80 shocks will fit, but you will want to get a set of shocks that matches the lift on your truck. It looks like the radius arm mount on the frame side has been modified to suit the lift on the truck, so you probably have a lift of 4" or more. I believe that much lift can also result in some driveline vibrations. If the truck has them, they can be resolved, but there is some cost, so again, I'd recommend you wait until you have the truck to check things out.

If it hasn't been done already you'll want to remove the ACSD on the fuel pump. Looking at the photos in the link you provided it looks like your PS reservoir might be leaking. It can be leaking at the cap or the crimped lid, but again, I'd recommend looking at it after it arrives rather than buying stuff now that you may not need. Also from the photos it looks like at least one back seat grab handle is missing.

Alright, I will stop licking windows and prioritize sourcing a 3 inch exhaust. If anyone has any personal recommendations I would love to hear them. I am located in DFW for reference.
Torqit in AUS makes a 3” for the HDJ80 that’s made in 304 stainless. Look up ikarus’s build on here, he went with the Torqit exhaust and has videos. I am in the process now to get the Torqit system shipped to Ohio. Not cheap! Good luck.

Torqit in AUS makes a 3” for the HDJ80 that’s made in 304 stainless. Look up ikarus’s build on here, he went with the Torqit exhaust and has videos. I am in the process now to get the Torqit system shipped to Ohio. Not cheap! Good luck.
Total cost including shipping to Ohio from AUS was only about $1500 USD. Not bad at all. Bolted right on, no issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom